Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough
Default 5 on 5 review = 5 Vegas High Primings

5 Vegas High Primings

Wrapper: Habano seed from Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaraguan ligero
Filler: Ligero from Esteli Nicaragua and ligero from Cibao Valley in the Dominican Republic.

6x48

Classed as a full bodied cigar, the 5 Vegas High Primings has a blend similar to the 5 Vegas Classic, but uses tobacco from higher primings, hence the name. This will produce a fuller bodied smoke. The wrap has a light brown toasted color with smooth and firm feel. Examination shows no blemishes. Banded with the standard 5 Vegas “girdle sized” belt of red and white, for some reason I still like these Vegas bands and the High Primings continues the 5V tradition, and wears the band proudly. Certainly on a dog rocket, it would look silly.

First Third – The firm cigar took the guillotine cut excellently. With a light toasting, off we go. I tasted pepper notes up front. Hate to say wood and leather again, but the notes are there as well. But a cherry taste comes in every once and a while. Quite an interesting start. But the pepper is strong enough that I’d better take it easy and respect this smoke until I see how her story evolves.

I am restricted to 5 pictures, however a midway shot here.
I think in a later review, the snowman finally was awarded eyeballs.

Second Third –
By now the pepper has calmed down. Certainly becoming a full bodied smoke as advertised, Toasted coffee bean detected now. The earlier cherry is like a black cherry and consistent now. With the opportunity to focus on it now, it is coming from the lower "base" flavor with the wood tones, so maybe even it is cherry wood. Ash is rich white bespeckled with black. The burn ring was slightly off in the first third, so I left it alone to see what happens. I see here it had fixed itself. I am casting the firm ash off in 1” intervals. I am sure it can go longer. However I want to keep the coolest air available to the foot of this smoke due to its potency.

Final Third-
All labels off and I'm going to finish this puppy. The cigar is still firm with no unraveling or cracking even though I am standing in a garage doorway and moist air from the recent snowfall surrounds me. I have all the pepper, wood, spice and toasted bean notes here. All are strong notes. The retrohale here smarts the back of my nasal, but only for a second, leaving a wood and cherry element that is surrounded in spice. It is so interesting and new to me that it encouraged me to continue alternating between straight draws and retrahales at least a dozen times in the last third. Smoked it down to it's last one inch.

The 5 Vegas High Primings has the Iongest burn time on my reviews yet, at about 100 minutes

Notes:
1- Exceptional build with no problems
2- Very good “full bodied” smoke for the newer smoker, as myself
3- Entertaining flavor profile

The 5 Vegas High Primings presented well and delivered an enjoyable smoking experience. I found it to be a dependable full bodied cigar that delivers as promised with no compromises. I would suggest it to any medium-bodied smoker looking for a richer, fuller smoke with a manageable kick and a flavor profile that was quite entertaining. This cigar gets a high rating. I simply cannot find anything wrong with this cigar

Rating: 4.75 out of 5 ( 97% )

Last edited by Bondo 287; 01-04-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
INT
Adjusting to the Life

INT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 5 on 5 review = 5 Vegas High Primings

Thanks. Great review. Have one sitting in the humi.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by INT View Post
Thanks. Great review. Have one sitting in the humi.
Thanks. This had 11 months on it, I believe.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review and photo's Mikael
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

These are nice. Grab a bunch before they change the blend and the construction goes to s**t!