Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Nickerson

Thumbs up 5 Vegas 'A' Anomoly

Cigar Name: 5 Vegas 'A'
Cigar Size: Anomaly, 4.5"x44.
Wrapper Type: Maduro.

Had a good time in Boston today. Traffic was a pain getting in but was a breeze getting out. Had an AWESOME cheeseburger at Cornwall's which is an English style pub (Great selection of beer and great food! If your ever near Beacon Street in Boston definitely stop in for a drink or a meal). Would have liked to go to the Sox game but can save that for another day.

Got home around 7:45PM and my parents went on the deck to have a cigar, so I said "what the heck", and I decided to have a cigar myself. Picked out a 5 Vegas 'A' Anomoly. If you been reading my previous reviews or have seen me post around the forum, I like robusto or smaller sized cigars. This petite corona size is one of my favorites. I picked up a box of 20 of these bad boys on CigarBid for $37.00, which is just $1.85 per stick. Not bad eh?

Construction: 9/10

Constuction was good. Looked great and didn't have any flaws. Wrapper cracked a little bit when smoking, though it has been in my humidor at 68-70% for about 2-3 weeks now.

Flavor: 18/25

The cigar is medium bodied, and I would put the taste around medium bodied as well. Most dominant flavor would be leather with a slight touch of spice and a bit of sweetness from the wrapper. Was pleasant tasting, pretty much same from start to finish.

Draw: 7/10

Draw was average. Not too tight but not too loose.

Burn: 9/10

Burn started a little crooked, but correct itself naturally.

Ash: 5/5

Nice light gray ash, holds very well. I usually ash ever inch or so. I tried ashing after an inch and it was still holding on when I tried to ash it. Had to give it a good tap.

Smoke: 4/5

Didn't produce as much smoke as some cigars I've had, but still sufficient amounts. Generally I find the amount of smoke has a good connection to the draw of a cigar.

Impression: 32/35

As with most 5 Vegas cigars, its a very attractive cigar at an even more attractive price. Nice medium-dark brown maduro wrapper with a cedar sleeve and good looking band. Both feels and smells great. Though it was very inexpensive, from reviews and other opinions on the cigar I did expect it to be good. And it was. I certainly didn't 'wow' me like a Padron or Oliva would, but is well worth every penny paid.

Overall Rating: 84

At under $2.00 a stick, its hard to go wrong with these. Good tasting and even better on the wallet. They come in a wide variety of sizes, something for everyone preferences.

I would recommend these to anyone who has the budget on the mind. Good affordable cigar.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Re: 5 Vegas 'A' Anomoly

Nice review. The As have been really hit or miss for me. I've had a few that were awesome, one that had a weird metallic taste, and a few that were really bland.
You should try the AAA if you haven't yet, very nice stick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Nickerson

Default Re: 5 Vegas 'A' Anomoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Nice review. The As have been really hit or miss for me. I've had a few that were awesome, one that had a weird metallic taste, and a few that were really bland.
You should try the AAA if you haven't yet, very nice stick.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've had about 5 now. As you mentioned some seem to be on the ball and others aren't quite there. Odd how cigars from the same box can taste different. The construction is always good and they have great draw.

I've yet to try the Triple A yet. It is suppose to be very good from what I heard. I tend to go for Robusto's or smaller. 5"x56 is kind of a thick ring gauge.

I've yet to try the Diesel as well, don't really get to much of AJ Fernandez's stuff.