Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default Punch Uppercut - Review

While at a recent Herf (NERF) I was given a bag of 15 or so cigars. It had some good ones too like the Room 101, Liga Pravada T-52 and so on. One of them was the Punch Uppercut. I had heard of Punch a million times but never actually had one.

Supposedly this was one of those cigars that had some angle. This one’s was a super special ingredient …
“A feisty binder leaf grown in the volcanic soils of Ometepe - an island off the coast of Nicaragua.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ometepe Ometepe is an island formed by two volcanoes rising from Lake Nicaragua in the Republic of Nicaragua. Its name derives from the Nahuatl words ome (two) and tepetl (mountain), meaning two mountains.

This was kept in my humi for about a month at about 65%.

Although I had heard of Punch I had never heard of Uppercut. Hence a review. I figure if it’s good, give the BOTL’s/inmates a heads up if it’s a dud well hey let em know that too. Cost for these at CI is about $30 for a fiver and $103 for a box. ON to the review….

PRE-LIGHT - The cigar was obviously a well built cigar so props to Punch for that. Draw was just about perfect maybe a little tight for me but still right on. That’s a preference thing, you know. More props. It was solid with no spongy spots but still had a touch of give. Smell had a nice smell nothing overwhelming or really intense.

LIGHT/FIRST IMPRESSIONS - The first tastes were a little sweet, a lot of earth and a touch of dirt and leather. Didn’t notice any spice to speak of and I wasn’t overwhelmed nor especially excited about this cigar so far.

ONE QUARTER THROUGH
- The sweet picked up a bit and the earth subsided a bit while the leather picked up. Still it was ok but not great.

ONE HALF THROUGH - I noticed a grass flavor and the varying degrees of the other flavors above especially the leather.

THE REST - That was about the entire cigar for me. It was a very well built cigar and burn was flawless but the flavor didn’t do it for me. Not bad although some of it seemed a bit off (grass/dirt).

CONCLUSION
-Would some age do anything for this? Maybe. And maybe it just wasn’t my kind of cigar. Definitely (for me at least) there are better values out there to be had. I had fun with the review and the photography so it was a good time.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Punch Uppercut - Review

Nice review...thanks for sharing.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
SmokingPoker

Good review and I smoked one the other night and I'd have to agree with your conclusion. I have one more laying down in the humi I will revisit later this summer (something about it just seemed comfortable and screamed beer gar on a hot, clear summer night star gazing trying to catch a falling star).
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

If you remember the Punch Vote promotion where you get two cigars (A and B) and vote on which one you liked best, this was the one that received the most votes.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Nice review...thanks. I still have my Uppercut from the NERF sitting in my humi. I'm curious to see if I have a similar experience.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
homerjay19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (10)
Partagas
homerjay19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
Nice review...thanks. I still have my Uppercut from the NERF sitting in my humi. I'm curious to see if I have a similar experience.
As do I, I will probably let it sit for a while.
homerjay19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Nice review Ken, and great photos!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Nice review Ken, and great photos!
Yeah, those photos are amazing. That one with the cigar next to the watch looks like it should be in a magazine...it makes me want to by that cigar...or the watch.

I noticed that weird "time effect" on the second hand of the watch...is that from leaving the shutter open?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
Yeah, those photos are amazing. That one with the cigar next to the watch looks like it should be in a magazine...it makes me want to by that cigar...or the watch.

I noticed that weird "time effect" on the second hand of the watch...is that from leaving the shutter open?
Thanks for the compliment.
Yes it's from a 6 sec exposure or thereabouts.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
tx_tuff

Very nice review and good pics but no pics of the burn or ash?

I smoked one last night and thought it was a good cigar, had a crazy white ash (crazy because of how white it was) and it held on nice. I didn't get and grass or dirt flavors from it. But grass is not always a bad flavor anyway depending on the rest of the profile.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
bookman

Well, guess I can skip this brand. Used to love Punch ncs esp. the London Club and Roths, until I tried the cc Punch Royal Coronationes!! Man, now that's a cigar with a...

PUNCH!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
Scott1966
Herf God

Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Scott1966 is on a distinguished road

I had a couple of these from last year's trade show and I liked them. Pricepoint makes them appealing.
Scott1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for a great review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Thanks for the compliments. In all fairness some folks like this cigar. Maybe I got one that was not as good as others. Maybe the my tastes don't suit the flavor profile of this cigar too. But either way thank you.

Last edited by kenstogie; 04-01-2010 at 06:34 PM.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
Very nice review and good pics but no pics of the burn or ash?

I smoked one last night and thought it was a good cigar, had a crazy white ash (crazy because of how white it was) and it held on nice. I didn't get and grass or dirt flavors from it. But grass is not always a bad flavor anyway depending on the rest of the profile.
No pics of the ash, sorry. I will say that my ash was not white at all just a typical gray.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road

If there's one thing I've ever gotten from Punch, it's leather and earth. They seem to excel at putting out cigars with those flavors and not much else. Most of the one's i've gotten I've let sit for about a year and it seems to take the bite out of them. Flavors do not change much though.
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Nice review and photo's Ken. Sometimes a little rest is just what is needed for certain brands
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
Sanchy

Thx for the review. Been wondering about these.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Thought I might mention that the HDM excal legend has some of the Ometepe tabaco in it. I am enjoying this considerably more than the Uppercut. Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Legend is incredibly complex due to its Nicaraguan and Dominican filler. The majority of the filler is ligero, which produces robust notes of earth with exaggerated hints of spice in the aftertaste. In addition, Legend also contains a unique tobacco grown on the volcanic island of Ometepe, also in Nicaragua. This tobacco creates a complexity unnoticed in other cigars, creating oak flavors, cedar, and a rich aftertaste..."
Posted via Mobile Device
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #20
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Thought I might mention that the HDM excal legend has some of the Ometepe tabaco in it. I am enjoying this considerably more than the Uppercut. Posted via Mobile Device
What size in the Legends series are you smoking Ken? I've really enjoyed the Crusader (5.75 x 45) which is an awesome little stick...