Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough
Default Port problem

I tried a port for the first time two nights ago and I was sadly disappointed. I've heard so much about it being a great compliment to cigars. I bought a bottle and it was so sweet I couldn't stand it. My wife had the same impression. So terrible! Has anyone heard of Six Grapes Port? Is that a decent bottle or did I just get a bad batch. I would say that I'm willing to try it a second time but if that particular brand is considered a good one, then I'll just not waste my time.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Port problem

I really don't know much about port but a quick google search turned up this and it might be an interesting read for you. As far as pairing port with cigars i'm of no help.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/419939

Last edited by skullnrose; 03-24-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: fixed link
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Try a good Tawny port from Portugal. They have some really good ones out there in the 18-22 dollar price range. Enjoy

Chris
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
Has anyone heard of Six Grapes Port? Is that a decent bottle or did I just get a bad batch. I would say that I'm willing to try it a second time but if that particular brand is considered a good one, then I'll just not waste my time.
Six Grapes is not that good. At the lower end of the price spectrum, you are better off buying 10 or 20 year Tawny, or an LBV. Serving port correct is also important. LBV's should be run through cheesecloth. Port should be served just below room temperature.

Madeira is much better pick than port wine for cigars. Madeira has more acid in it and really compliments a cigar better. My first pick for reasonable Madeira would be Broadbent's 10 year or Leacock's Bual.

My picks for Port in what I assume is your price range:

Ramos Pinto 10 year tawny
Ramos Pinto LBV
Warre LBV
Warre Optimo
Kirkland/Costco 10 year tawny
Delaforce Eminence 10 year tawny
Ferreira 10 year tawny
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Six Grapes is way on the sweeter end of the spectrum. Try a nice tawny and you should get more flavor and less sweet. Also Madeira is a much better compliment to cigars and there are a couple of threads about it here. Look for anything by mosesbotbol.

I put a reply into this thread.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
mastershogun
Feeling at Home

Trading: (47)
Bolivar
mastershogun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Six Grapes is not that good. At the lower end of the price spectrum, you are better off buying 10 or 20 year Tawny, or an LBV. Serving port correct is also important. LBV's should be run through cheesecloth. Port should be served just below room temperature.

Madeira is much better pick than port wine for cigars. Madeira has more acid in it and really compliments a cigar better. My first pick for reasonable Madeira would be Broadbent's 10 year or Leacock's Bual.

My picks for Port in what I assume is your price range:

Ramos Pinto 10 year tawny
Ramos Pinto LBV
Warre LBV
Warre Optimo
Kirkland/Costco 10 year tawny
Delaforce Eminence 10 year tawny
Ferreira 10 year tawny
mastershogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Where do you guys regularly go to find these types of Ports? Should I have luck finding them in any wine store or are these hard to find items?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Ollie
It's gon RAIN

Trading: (5)
Ollie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where do you guys regularly go to find these types of Ports? Should I have luck finding them in any wine store or are these hard to find items?
You should be able to find a good selection at Total Wine.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
You should be able to find a good selection at Total Wine.
Unfortunately, that is too far of a drive to find a bottle of something I may or may not like.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Hardcz

Six Grapes is great. Lower on the acidic nature, sweet, if you swish it in your mouth, your tongue will tingle, one of my favorites...though I'm new to wine and it's one of the few I enjoy.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Could be a simple matter of "Port is not for you." I happen to like a lot of different ports, including six grapes, but my lovely bride doesn't like port at all, even though we both like very similar red wines (cab, pinot noir, barolo).

I do think it might be worth your while to try a tawny port to see if a little less sweetness does the trick, but in the end, drink what you like and like what you drink.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Could be a simple matter of "Port is not for you." I happen to like a lot of different ports, including six grapes, but my lovely bride doesn't like port at all, even though we both like very similar red wines (cab, pinot noir, barolo).

I do think it might be worth your while to try a tawny port to see if a little less sweetness does the trick, but in the end, drink what you like and like what you drink.
I think that's going to be my move. I'll try one of the recommended tawnys, assuming I can find them, and if that fails I'll just move on to something else.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
I think that's going to be my move. I'll try one of the recommended tawnys, assuming I can find them, and if that fails I'll just move on to something else.
The Krogers near us sell port, altho I don't think they stock most of the ones moses identified. You can find Sandeman's Tawny there for about $12, I think--my wife likes that one. I like the Fonseca Tawny, but always get that at Total Wine in Midlothian. They have a big selection, especially in the $15-$25 range.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Port may not be your tipple, try a nice tawny and report back.

As I mentioned earlier, Madeira is my first choice, followed by Oloroso/Amontillado Sherry or Champagne.

Other sweet wines I just adore are Tokay or Sauternes; both of which are women favorites so you significant other may enjoy them too.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Port is a love hate relationship.... I for one love it.

Believe it or not you can get some nice ports from Sams club.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Pitmaster

My wife and I were in Napa last year and I bought some Maderia from this place http://www.vsattui.com excellent with a cigar. Actually everythign we got there eas very good.
Mike
Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #17
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
My wife and I were in Napa last year and I bought some Maderia from this place http://www.vsattui.com excellent with a cigar. Actually everythign we got there eas very good.
Mike
New rules in place make it so they can't really call it Madeira. I still have a couple of bottles of this. I think V.Sattui's regular port style wine is better.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #18
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

I picked up a bottle of tawny port to try. I think it was called Sheffield. I guarantee it's not any of the best, but I'm hoping that it will give me an idea of whether or not it's even worth trying to find a better bottle.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I picked up a bottle of tawny port to try. I think it was called Sheffield. I guarantee it's not any of the best, but I'm hoping that it will give me an idea of whether or not it's even worth trying to find a better bottle.
Jon - not to rain on your parade but I think your logic is flawed. Buying a cheap (< $10) bottle of port to see if you might like something better is akin to smoking a dog-rocket cigar to see if you might like a premium smoke. It probably isn't going to happen. I hope you like the Sheffield well enough to try something better because a fine tawny port is luscious.

My suggestion is to spend $15-$25 for a nice aged (10 year) tawny port. Fonseca and Taylor Fladgate make a decent one. There are some others as well. The suggestions others have made previously are all good.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #20
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Jon - not to rain on your parade but I think your logic is flawed. Buying a cheap (< $10) bottle of port to see if you might like something better is akin to smoking a dog-rocket cigar to see if you might like a premium smoke. It probably isn't going to happen. I hope you like the Sheffield well enough to try something better because a fine tawny port is luscious.

My suggestion is to spend $15-$25 for a nice aged (10 year) tawny port. Fonseca and Taylor Fladgate make a decent one. There are some others as well. The suggestions others have made previously are all good.

Sound logic you bring at me Pete. Here's my problem with the whole thing. I spent $25 on a bottle of regular port and absolutely hated it. Therefore, I didn't want to waste that much money again on a bottle I was going to take two sips out of. I agree with you completely that it is a flawed approach. I'm just hoping that this bottle gives me some faith in a tawny at all. If I like, but don't love this bottle I'll be willing to drop more money on one that is more costly.