Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #3121
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Awesome!
You know what was BEST, Steve?? It was those chicken thighs....about an hour after this photo,
I cranked the coals up to the highest notch on the adjuster and crisped the skin on em and they were
freaking PHEnomenal. The ribs, ehh, how good are beef ribs ever? They weren't bad at all, but that chicken.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #3122
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

These were all done with a point and shoot, so it's really a showcase of the subject matter as opposed to my "skills".

4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #3123
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Found these two guys on the trail just like this.

Looks like he gave me a present lol, but it's just mud.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #3124
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

One more....this spider was easily the size of the palm of my hand. He's posturing to try to scare me off.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #3125
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Was out in the garden today. Had plenty of big bumblebees buzzing around. Snapped this pic with my iPhone. Kinda surprised how well it turned out.

I'm not a photog by any means, but is there a shutter speed fast enough to capture those wings? I've seen it done with hummingbirds, but I believe bees wing beats are even faster.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #3126
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Of course there is a shutter speed that can do it, the problem is, usually when you are zoomed in, your lens may
have a variable aperture that can be pretty limiting in that regard. Add to that that people often use glass filters to
protect their lenses that can cut you down another half a stop. By the time you combine all the issues, you often
have no access to those shutter speeds. The best you can do is shoot these shots at a time of day when there is the most
light, and of course, have steady hands. You are gonna have to get up there past 1000, maybe as high as 1600, then you
might have a shot. If your camera can take it, you can pump the ISO up to 1250 or higher, and you can likely get
pretty close to the levels you need. With the I-PHONE.....nah, not likely. From the above shot, those look like
box turtles....in hand it looks like some kind of terrapin. Wish I was good on northern turtle species. PM sent.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3127
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Of course there is a shutter speed that can do it, the problem is, usually when you are zoomed in, your lens may
have a variable aperture that can be pretty limiting in that regard. Add to that that people often use glass filters to
protect their lenses that can cut you down another half a stop. By the time you combine all the issues, you often
have no access to those shutter speeds. The best you can do is shoot these shots at a time of day when there is the most
light, and of course, have steady hands. You are gonna have to get up there past 1000, maybe as high as 1600, then you
might have a shot. If your camera can take it, you can pump the ISO up to 1250 or higher, and you can likely get
pretty close to the levels you need. With the I-PHONE.....nah, not likely. From the above shot, those look like
box turtles....in hand it looks like some kind of terrapin. Wish I was good on northern turtle species. PM sent.
Thanks for the info, and PM replied. My photos were taken with a Panasonic point and shoot that is good for underwater use.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #3128
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR View Post
I'm not a photog by any means, but is there a shutter speed fast enough to capture those wings? I've seen it done with hummingbirds, but I believe bees wing beats are even faster.
I agree with Brad, the IPhone wouldn't do it. I was surprised to see it did catch them a bit. Had I actually focused on the bee and not the flower, it might've caught them more. I need to break out my D70 to see if I can get a better shot.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #3129
OLS
Suck It

I got confused as to who was actually asking about that, sorry....offered 4wheel a camera, lol. What's worse, he
might BUY ONE one day, lol. Speaking of all that, took a new lens out for a walk today, the same 50mm 2.0 that
I used to shoot those ribs. It was dusk, and I used no discipline, so only about 5 of 20 were any good.

Little rose after the rain.....This rosebush died, the whole dead bush fell over without much provocation.
But cutting grass one day, I saw red new growth in the grass, where one of them had been. Two had died
the same basic death. And then a few weeks later, this......

The hexagonal diaphragms on these old 50s makes for some grotesque light point bokeh. but they aren't SO bad in the end.

And even on this photo, you see those hexes....weird

Old 08-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #3130
OLS
Suck It

Is it the last one?? I certainly hope so....I know Capitol one doesn't.
There was a D50 at Ado the other day, $50....it said "Memory card will
not lock in place." I figured the spring mechanism was broken, and I could
put a little tail of tape on the card to have something to extract the SD card
with. Well, it came in, and THEY were right, as they sometimes are, about the
defect. THE SPRING was fine, in fact I could bounce the card in and out, doing,
doing, doing.....but it wouldn't lock.

SO I closed the memory card door on it to force it to the bottom of the channel,
but it wouldn't read the card. I started to sweat a bit, I did not feel like retuning
this thing for $50, it will be 1/3 of that just in postage....Then I rolled a piece of
duct tape into a tube and laid it on the top edge of the card, and closed the card
door, and it read the card and it stayed read. Took it to lunch, shot it up real good
and it is still reading the card. I imagine in time the tape will conform and it may stop
reading it, but tape is cheap, and SO was this little camera. I ordered a $25 dollar
lens for it, so for $75 I have a nice small, entry-level Nikon.

Anybody want to buy a small, entry-level Nikon?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #3131
OLS
Suck It

Bring on the apocalypse......provided I can charge batteries.

Best thing is there is not one of them that I paid anywhere near the perceived value for,
except for the last D90 which I bought for my sister in a rush before I saw her, still paid
$100 less than going rate. And thanks to Shark, who traded his abandoned D100 for cigars.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #3132
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

So how is that D100 working for you? Pics still coming out bluish without tweaking anything? I knew how to do it, I just didn't like that, and the fact that the metering was all over the place, at least for me. I'm very picky, as I've said before!

Missed out on some shots of three hawks flying overhead at work. I was outside and saw them, right overhead beginning to ride the thermal currents, so I ran to my car and got my camera, but they got up there pretty high really quick! I need a longer telephoto. I'm sure my coworkers were wondering WTF, because I was in plain view of the windows....
Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #3133
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I like old architecture:

Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #3134
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #3135
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #3136
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Nice way to get some business. Ford Model A:

Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #3137
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

This is Lake Erie Metropark, where the Detroit River empties into Lake Erie, maybe 1.5 hours after sunrise:

Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #3138
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

I like Rose of Sharon blossoms:

Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #3139
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

White and rose/magenta are very nice, too:

Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #3140
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Nice pics Ron! The sun rays coming through the clouds, I love those scenes, nice captures.