Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #5681
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
I was looking at that one earlier today. My buddy said I should save the money and go straight for the dillon 550b. He said ill adventually want one sooner or later. The reviews on itare all aamazing. But is it one of those tools you need experience to use kinda things?
I load with both single stage and progressive presses.

In my experience, I've learned the following.

Speed is not your friend when reloading. Speed is especially not your friend when you're first starting out reloading. Unless you're going to load 600+ rounds and can't spend more than 2 hrs doing it, there is no real need for a progressive press.

There are a few reasons I'd suggest you start out with a single stage press.

1. You're making mini explosives and you're better off learning the basics before you start mass producing rounds quickly.
2. There are more chances of catastrophic issues with pistol rounds than rifle (pistol is much easier to double charge than rifle)
3. You're going to invest a lot for something you may not like

Stages of reloading: (basics as there are many other stages that can be preformed to attempt to control the minutia of variances between rounds in an attempt to maximize accuracy)

1. Case Prep
a. clean cases
b. size / de-prime (uses press and die)
c. trim (if necessary)
d. chamfer inside and out
e. prime (potentially dangerous as primers can ignite when inserting and if so can cause all primers in priming device to detonate)

2. Charge case (most time consuming part of process)
a. measure powder (variety of methods: manual thrower / scoop / digital thrower)
b. weigh powder (use balance beam or digital scale)
c. drop powder in case (check...check....check....I can't say this enough.....C H E C K what you're doing here as this is where serious issues occur)

3. Seat bullet
a. Seat bullet to proper seating depth for O.A.L. of cartridge (uses press and die)
b. Crimp bullet (depends on bullet/cartridge type and if necessary - uses press and die)

4. Check weights and measurements for constancy and variances

As you can see from the above you have a lot of things going on and trying to do them all at once can be dangerous unless you know what you're doing and have some practice at it.

Now if you're going to load only 9mm and a few hundred at a setting you can do this with a single stage press very easily and fairly quickly with a single stage press set up.

The key is to use a ball powder (like WIN 231) and create a load around it for your pistol. Ball powder meters very easily and consistently so you can use a manual powder thrower and this will help to cut some of the time down.

Along with this, 9mm is a straight walled case and doesn't need as much case prep (doesn't need mirrored polished cleaning each time) and can be sized/de-primed quickly with carbide dies.

Rules to live by when reloading:

1. NEVER MORE THAN ONE OPEN POWDER ON THE BENCH AT ONE TIME
2. Do not reload when drinking or taking drugs or recreationally using state approved medical drugs...
3. Do not reload while watching TV
4. If you think there is something wrong with what you did or how the round looks, SCRAP IT. It's not worth your firearm, your life and the lives of those around you.

Also, you don't really save money reloading. You just shoot more for the same money spent on factory ammo. And you'll have to calculate those savings and shoot enough rounds to break even with the cost of the equipment before the cost benefits really kick in.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #5682
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Man, pleases share how you managed to pull that off at below MSRP.
Please!!! Pretty Please!!!
Complete luck to be honest. We had a brand new pawn and gun open up yesterday literally across the street from our neiborhood. I was the first one in the door and asked about the KSG and PMR30. He pulled out the KSG with an 1100 price tag. Then he told me about the 10% military discount. . First sale in the new store. Just wish he had the PMR. Been looking for over a year for one at a decent price.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #5683
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was looking at that one earlier today. My buddy said I should save the money and go straight for the dillon 550b. He said ill adventually want one sooner or later. The reviews on itare all aamazing. But is it one of those tools you need experience to use kinda things?
I wouldn't jump straight to the Dillon. Here's why:

1) Starting with a turret or single stage will force you to slow down, take your time, and focus on what you're doing.

2) Presses hold their value. Try finding a used press more than a few bucks cheaper than new. If you do decide to upgrade, you should be able to sell your starter press for at least 80% of the new price.

3) You won't want to sell the starter press though. You'll set that one up for a special cartridge you want to load slowly for utmost accuracy (probably rifle), and use the progressive for plinking pistol ammo.

I'd go with a turret press over a single stage. All the advantages to the single stage PLUS you can load faster once you get the hang of it. Honestly I think it's safer too since you work one cartridge at a time, start to finish. Seems less likely to accidentally double charge or no charge a case because you got distracted and forgot where you were in your loading block.

Here's a few additional things you'll probably want that may not be in a kit:

Calipers (I prefer digital, but it's your call) - you'll want to measure overall cartridge length.
Tumbler - If you want to reuse your own or range brass, you'll need to clean it.
Digital Balance - Mine cost $20, works great. I use a few bullets as test weight, it's very consistent and a lot easier to use than a beam balance.
Bullet puller - For WHEN you screw up and need to separate components.
Ammo boxes - I use a combination of flip top plastic boxes, surplus ammo cans, and empty paper boxes picked out of the trashcan at the local range.

Finally, don't overlook the Lee products. They cost half the price of the other brands but that doesn't mean they're bad. The cost difference between RCBS and Lee will buy you a lot of powder, primer, and bullets.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #5684
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I wouldn't jump straight to the Dillon. Here's why:

1) Starting with a turret or single stage will force you to slow down, take your time, and focus on what you're doing.

2) Presses hold their value. Try finding a used press more than a few bucks cheaper than new. If you do decide to upgrade, you should be able to sell your starter press for at least 80% of the new price.

3) You won't want to sell the starter press though. You'll set that one up for a special cartridge you want to load slowly for utmost accuracy (probably rifle), and use the progressive for plinking pistol ammo.

I'd go with a turret press over a single stage. All the advantages to the single stage PLUS you can load faster once you get the hang of it. Honestly I think it's safer too since you work one cartridge at a time, start to finish. Seems less likely to accidentally double charge or no charge a case because you got distracted and forgot where you were in your loading block.

Here's a few additional things you'll probably want that may not be in a kit:

Calipers (I prefer digital, but it's your call) - you'll want to measure overall cartridge length.
Tumbler - If you want to reuse your own or range brass, you'll need to clean it.
Digital Balance - Mine cost $20, works great. I use a few bullets as test weight, it's very consistent and a lot easier to use than a beam balance.
Bullet puller - For WHEN you screw up and need to separate components.
Ammo boxes - I use a combination of flip top plastic boxes, surplus ammo cans, and empty paper boxes picked out of the trashcan at the local range.

Finally, don't overlook the Lee products. They cost half the price of the other brands but that doesn't mean they're bad. The cost difference between RCBS and Lee will buy you a lot of powder, primer, and bullets.
Good advice here...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #5685
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely going to go with a single or turrent style after reading your posts. Now to do some research on powders. Thanks again all for the advice!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #5686
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Those last two weapons pictured here are awesome! That crazy camo paint AR and the Kel Tec shotgun make me wanna start saving...again

Here is my latest, just got it the other day, Rock Island M5 Tactical 12GA shotgun:

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #5687
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That's after the lunacy that started in December.
Prior to that, there were always great deals there.
Best ammo prices anywhere at the time if you were patient and nailed the right one.
Now? I agree, overpriced but that is due to the folks willing to pay it.
Sad but true.
I have used GB for the last 12 years and the high prices go way past December 14 2012. prices are just insane but getting slightly better.
I have found some OK deals on black-powder stuff and a few parts but rudimentary search on most guns will yield better prices in short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfanatic View Post
Picked up a Keltec KSG today for below MSRP . Can't wait to take this out and shoot.

Awesome score! We have four of these on order for the original MSRP of $585 (ish), I don't know if they will ever show up....
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #5688
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

I think I've decided to go with a lee turret press kit that comes with everything except the dies, bullet remover, calipers and I belive a scale. Although I'm hesitant becausing not being able to go to the range is frustratong enough. Having the press would be even worse cause its something I can do anytime.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #5689
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

It is finally done...first 90 round shot group today as well. Now time to zero this thing in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (54.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (46.6 KB, 170 views)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #5690
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Wish I could find a KSG for $100 over MSRP
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #5691
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
It is finally done...first 90 round shot group today as well. Now time to zero this thing in.
Before even remotely considering any gun sight adjustments, recommend this.

http://kitup.military.com/2012/08/pi...-training.html
Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #5692
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pete View Post
Wish I could find a KSG for $100 over MSRP
I think Jackson had some on order since they came out . I think they ordered 4 of them, I asked to put one on hold for me when they finally arrived. Not sure if ours got cancelled due to the price increase or the owner just said forget it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #5693
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Maryland small arms has m&p 17round 9mm mags in stock for 45each!! Just ordered myself 2 .
Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #5694
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Before even remotely considering any gun sight adjustments, recommend this.

http://kitup.military.com/2012/08/pi...-training.html
This was for a supported 223, not a handgun.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #5695
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maryland small arms has m&p 17round 9mm mags in stock for 45each!! Just ordered myself 2 .
Get 'em while you can, those will be illegal in MD in 6 months.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #5696
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Get 'em while you can, those will be illegal in MD in 6 months.
I picked up two of them. Thinking about calling back to order a third but that would give me 5. I can't seem myself making good use of 5.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #5697
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I picked up two of them. Thinking about calling back to order a third but that would give me 5. I can't seem myself making good use of 5.
If the price is good go for it. Extra mags are never a bad thing.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #5698
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

45 bucks a pop. On gunbroker they are 110-180
Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #5699
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd wait till prices drop, on average I have about 6 mags per firearm. Some have a lot more depending on the deals I get.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #5700
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

The price was right for me. S&w says retail is 45 for them and that's what I paid. With this market you can't ask for much more. I know they go as low as 35 but ten bucks extra to get them now in this market vs waiting who knows how log was worth it to me. But I would never pay 100+ or close to that for them.
Closed Thread