Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Wetting a cigar

So, i have some cigars i'm recalibrating because they were too dry. These aren't anything special so please do not think i wet a premium cigar. I saw a youtube video of a man wetting a very old pre-embargo cuban cigar and explained he wets only old or dry cigars. So i have decided to experiment today with an old bundle cuban crafters SF cigar i've had since 08' and it's wrapper was still very thin and dry.

I ran it under a tap for about 5 seconds and then let it dry off. upon lighting the cigar i could tell the flavors changed from a previous dry one i had tried to smoke. No harshness now and very sweet tobacco flavors are coming in. i'm pretty impressed that the wrapper is now back to life. So, i'm not doing this to all my cigars but to the cigars that i have where the wrapper had lost a lot of moisture this is now an option to try. I thought you all might find it interesting, Have a blessed day! God bless you!
Old 01-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice
Default Re: Wetting a cigar

That does sound interesting. I may give it a try with a couple crusty old NCs. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

There’s a Monica Lewinsky joke floating out there, waiting to be savored…
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:59 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I once wrote a "love" poem entitled Romeo y Julieta, and the first line was:

I pick her up and lick along her length.

When I posted it on a cigar site, most of the guys said "Ugh! Who would do that?"
Old 01-04-2022, 06:41 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I rinse cigars under the faucet every now and then. These cigars right out of the humidor too. Make sure to not get the foot wet. I usually do it to tannic cigars I want to smooth the flavors out.

Some are proponents of rinsing very old cigars to help out on the wrapper.

Almost always, I rinse at least the head of the cigar before cutting. It ensures that the head of the cigar won't crack when cutting.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:57 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I've done this before. Definitely changes the flavor a bit.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Yeah i guess i should mention that you rinse the cigars with the head up and the foot facing down, you definitely do not want the foot wet. God bless you all!
Old 01-04-2022, 08:09 AM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I've done it with some older cigars that were likely stored improperly and dried out at some point. It's not magic, but definitely improved the cigars I tried it on. Like instead of being a 2 on a 10 scale, maybe they became a 4. Hey, improvement is improvement!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:37 AM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

This can be a good technique, especially with dry, thin wrappers. I don't do it for 5 seconds, like many youtube videos do, but instead quickly turn the cigar under the tap, shake it off, and then wrap in a tissue to remove excess moisture.

I haven't done this in years, but have some sticks that came in over humidified and now have somewhat loose caps that are fragile. I've been using a punch on these with excellent success, but maybe I should retry wetting.

Thanks for posting this. I had almost forgotten this technique. I'd hate to think that I forgot something that can help save a cigar from unwrapping and also enhance the flavor.

We should put this in the newsletter.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #10
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
We should put this in the newsletter.
that made me laugh. yeah amend section 2 to include a section on wetting a cigar and it's proper technique. God Bless!
Old 01-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #11
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

When I worked a cigar shop I would get this old guy that would come in and grab a cigar come up pay. Then he would stick it 1/2 way in his mouth take it out and do the other end the other 1/2 I do know that this was common in the old days that they would lick the whole cigar before smoking it!
Old 01-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #12
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havanaaddict View Post
When I worked a cigar shop I would get this old guy that would come in and grab a cigar come up pay. Then he would stick it 1/2 way in his mouth take it out and do the other end the other 1/2 I do know that this was common in the old days that they would lick the whole cigar before smoking it!
I think that he was flirting with you.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #13
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Old 01-04-2022, 12:58 PM   #14
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
I didn't say it but don't think i wasn't thinking it
Old 01-04-2022, 02:52 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #16
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

So, I tried the wetting technique with a Monte 4 that had a crinkly wrapper. I also used a punch as those have been growing on me this winter.

The result was quite good. Could taste the wrapper a little bit more.

I don't do 5 seconds and I immediately wrap my cigar in a non-scented tissue, but otherwise it was basically the same as Jason describes.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #17
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
So, I tried the wetting technique with a Monte 4 that had a crinkly wrapper. I also used a punch as those have been growing on me this winter.

The result was quite good. Could taste the wrapper a little bit more.

I don't do 5 seconds and I immediately wrap my cigar in a non-scented tissue, but otherwise it was basically the same as Jason describes.
thats awesome Mark! I tried it with a new cigar and the results were as expected. nothing much happened flavor wise but a dryer cigar it really helps bring them back. Ive heard that cigars from the factory taste different from the cigars in the store and they think part of that is the loss of moisture so i'm glad it helped you out! God bless you brother!
Old 01-06-2022, 09:19 AM   #18
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

I just wet another dry cigar and i'm really impressed with the results. not only does the cigar taste great but it's burning so evenly now. who knew? pretty neat stuff. God bless you all!
Old 01-06-2022, 12:01 PM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I don't have any dry cigars, but it works well on humid cigars too.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #20
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

i'd love to see the newsletter. Missed out on it when I was a true nube.