Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-31-2021, 08:43 AM   #3001
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
Had a great Knob Creek single barrel pick Manhattan today!
Chayse, Imma be very disappointed if you don't try that 15 year KC pick neat next time. Such a gorgeous bourbon to mix with anything.

Some great bottles at Specs Tony, but I ain't standing in line for 24+ hours for anything besides Booker's Rye or Jennifer Lawrence's poonanny.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #3002
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Some grabs from the past week. I picked up the Two Georges Rye at Vom Fass down near Tampa. It's from Yahara Bay Distillers in Wisconsin and is incredibly smooth. The Ezra Brooks is an owner's selection from my favorite B&M. The Maker's Cask Strength I grabbed at my third-choice B&M because they were letting it go for $40.

Old 12-31-2021, 01:06 PM   #3003
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

You guys are killing me with these pics! I miss drinking bourbon so much! I guess it's better to be alive and enjoy a cigar and no bourbon than being dead. Great stuff though! looks tasty! God bless you!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:26 AM   #3004
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

Catching up on the last 10-15 pages this morning. Some fine pours in here. Hope to clink glasses this year!
physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #3005
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Steph and I met some family up in Franklin, TN for a long weekend. We visited two distilleries while we were there. I didn't want to hit the big boys that are around there (Jack Daniel's and George Dickel); I was interested in the small guys. We went to Leiper's Fork last Friday and H. Clark Distillery on Sunday.

Leiper's Fork makes three whiskeys, Bourbon, Tennessee Whiskey, and White (unaged) whiskey from a Bourbon mash. The first two were good representations of the style, and very smooth at 100 proof. The White was also quite good, with the tequila-ish odor and slight flavor of moonshine but also with the sweeter whiskey taste. The tour guide said his wife uses it instead of tequila in margaritas and I can see how it would be good that way.

H. Clark Distillery is small. REALLY small. The owner (H. Clark) is apparently the guy that wrote the bill allowing distilling in all the counties in TN, instead of just the three that were allowed once Prohibition ended.

Their Single Barrel Bourbon is quite tasty, and has a bit of spice from higher than average rye in the mash bill.

The Black & Tan is an interesting concoction born out of the need to get more than one use from a barrel and an interest in experimentation. A good portion of the mash bill is what is used for brewing oatmeal stout beers. It's got a heavy mouth feel with some chocolate and oat flavors, and a lingering aftertaste with a nice bourbon kick.

The Company Distilling Bourbon is not made by H. Clark, but by a friend of theirs who retired from Jack Daniel's and wanted to make his own whiskies. (Company Distilling and H. Clark are going to merge into one business soon). It's a wheated Bourbon and is very smooth and tasty.

As for the gin, well, I'm not a gin fan. Never have been. I can tolerate Bombay Sapphire but that's about it. H. Clark's gin blew me away. Apparently it won some awards last year. It's so good I could just pour some over an ice cube and sip it.

When I said H. Clark is small, I meant it. Here's me beside their 100 gallon still.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #3006
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Sounds like a great trip James!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-24-2022, 05:42 PM   #3007
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Snagged this little sampler today. All new to me!
Old 02-25-2022, 07:59 AM   #3008
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I hear a lot about it Garry, but I'm not a Scotch guy so I'll have to live vicariously.

I had a couple wheaters yesterday...

Old 02-25-2022, 08:00 AM   #3009
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I hear a lot about it Garry, but I'm not a Scotch guy so I'll have to live vicariously.

I had a couple wheaters yesterday...

Not sure I am either... A nice new venture for me. I do know I like that smoke taste though!
Old 02-25-2022, 08:09 AM   #3010
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarSquid View Post
Not sure I am either... A nice new venture for me. I do know I like that smoke taste though!
Good luck with it Brother. I can't even smell Scotch without getting a little queasy.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #3011
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarSquid View Post
Snagged this little sampler today. All new to me!
This is one I need to try. I do prefer the peaty scotches the best.

I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago ... very unique

https://www.newhollandbrew.com/jobs/...arrel-bourbon/
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:27 AM   #3012
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Scotch is an interesting one for me, I had always associated "Scotch" with "Good Sipping Whisky" and bourbon was just something you mix with coke to get drunk. Even up until maybe 4 years ago my dad would get me a gift card to my local liquor store for my birthday and I'd go in to see which 18 year of any Scotch they had on sale and I'd buy one. Then one day my eyes were open to Bourbon and I started down that crazy slope, and pretty much stopped drinking Scotch all together overnight. A year or two ago a brother from another board and I started up a whiskey sample swap, every few months sending a whole bunch of samples to the other person based on whatever we're drinking. One time he sent me a series of Scotches ending with a 25 year old, the next in the lineup was a Buffalo Trace store pick and I preferred that to any of the Scotch I just drank, regardless of price which I know was vastly different

That being said, when I was doing a bottle purge a few months ago I pulled out a bunch of 25% or less full bottles to kill off, one of which was a Glenfiddich 18 I've had for I don't know how long. I took a sip and pulled out all sorts of great flavors I had never gotten before, a little honey and some floral, it was delightful but took a look of searching due to the low proof. I didn't end up killing that bottle, I put it back with a few pours left, but honestly I don't have the time/money/available alcohol consumption to get into it. I have some friends that are always buying distillery exclusives and getting them shipped over, they say it's cheaper than anything halfway decent you'll find on a shelf in the states, but I know I'd need cask strength and I know those come with a price tag I can't justify so for now I'll stick with really really really enjoying bourbon (and rye, and american whiskey, and sometimes rum) and leave the Scotch to the Scotch guys

Anyways, Tom why you drinking Diet Weller?
Old 02-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #3013
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Scotch is an interesting one for me, I had always associated "Scotch" with "Good Sipping Whisky" and bourbon was just something you mix with coke to get drunk. Even up until maybe 4 years ago my dad would get me a gift card to my local liquor store for my birthday and I'd go in to see which 18 year of any Scotch they had on sale and I'd buy one. Then one day my eyes were open to Bourbon and I started down that crazy slope, and pretty much stopped drinking Scotch all together overnight. A year or two ago a brother from another board and I started up a whiskey sample swap, every few months sending a whole bunch of samples to the other person based on whatever we're drinking. One time he sent me a series of Scotches ending with a 25 year old, the next in the lineup was a Buffalo Trace store pick and I preferred that to any of the Scotch I just drank, regardless of price which I know was vastly different

That being said, when I was doing a bottle purge a few months ago I pulled out a bunch of 25% or less full bottles to kill off, one of which was a Glenfiddich 18 I've had for I don't know how long. I took a sip and pulled out all sorts of great flavors I had never gotten before, a little honey and some floral, it was delightful but took a look of searching due to the low proof. I didn't end up killing that bottle, I put it back with a few pours left, but honestly I don't have the time/money/available alcohol consumption to get into it. I have some friends that are always buying distillery exclusives and getting them shipped over, they say it's cheaper than anything halfway decent you'll find on a shelf in the states, but I know I'd need cask strength and I know those come with a price tag I can't justify so for now I'll stick with really really really enjoying bourbon (and rye, and american whiskey, and sometimes rum) and leave the Scotch to the Scotch guys

Anyways, Tom why you drinking Diet Weller?
It was a gift from my Cuz so I gotta finish the bottle. I'd much rather be drinking some stuff I was gifted from CO.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #3014
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Fair enough. Glad we were able to load up on the ECBP picks while the flood was still going on, now they're few and far between
Old 02-25-2022, 09:18 AM   #3015
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Good luck with it Brother. I can't even smell Scotch without getting a little queasy.
Johnnie walker swing was the only scotch i could ever tolerate. i even did the outrageous thing and purchased a bottle once. other than that I was always a bourbon man. I loved bourbon in a way that wasn't natural and to this day almost get high off the smell. Since i can no longer drink my cigar habit has increased sevenfold
Old 02-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #3016
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

I had a small JW Black bottle years ago... it is still little more than half full...not a fan of that stuff.

For more flavor, I think the peated/smoke scotch will be good. For classic taste, I will stick with bourbon. Nice change of pace from time to time.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #3017
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

I'm an equal opportunity whiskey drinker. Irish, Scotch, Japanese, American, friggin' Martian, it doesn't matter to me. And sometimes, that's all in one evening!
Old 02-25-2022, 02:42 PM   #3018
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

James has the idea....

Ben, never saw a single bottle here at retail. Luckily I have a couple great friends in CO.

Jason, somehow both my cigar and my bourbon consumption are going up. I'm gonna get every ounce out of my three lungs and two livers.

Garry, they tried to give me some JW something or other when we did a tasting at the Middleton distillery in Cork. I traded mine for a second shot of Middleton Rare.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #3019
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:

Garry, they tried to give me some JW something or other when we did a tasting at the Middleton distillery in Cork. I traded mine for a second shot of Middleton Rare.
If that's the tasting where they're putting other whiskies up against Jameson, it's JW Black they use, along with either Jack Daniel's or Jim Beam. At least that's how they do it at the Jameson Distillery in Dublin.

I never did get down to Midleton in my two times in Ireland.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:59 AM   #3020
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
If that's the tasting where they're putting other whiskies up against Jameson, it's JW Black they use, along with either Jack Daniel's or Jim Beam. At least that's how they do it at the Jameson Distillery in Dublin.

I never did get down to Midleton in my two times in Ireland.

It's a cool experience if you ever go back, James. And I think you're correct about the JW Black being used in Cork too.