Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice
Default Air cleaner/purifier

Winters in my neck of the woods can be pretty cold and smoking outside from December to March is usually out of the question.

I'm looking to possibly be able to smoke inside a bit, but do not want the cigar smoke and smell to remain inside with me. Does anyone have any recommendations for tried and true air purifiers, smoke eaters, etc. that I could use if I chose to grab a cigar inside every so often? I'd attempt to set it right next to me and blow the smoke directly into it if necessary. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice you may have.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #2
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Air cleaner/purifier

The rabbit air A3 is the gold standard for air purifiers. also in your smoking area it shouldn't have carpet or anything that can absorb smoke. Fabric furniture isn't a good idea either. Stuff that's easy to wipe down and that'll keep the smell to a minimum. It's an investment for a rabbit air but i'm planning on getting one for the summer months when things get intolerably hot down here. Right now i just have a fan in the window because it's just so nice down here and that works better than anything not that it'll help you any. anyways, i hope that helps Dave! God bless you!
Old 02-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I have a commercial ionizer Dave. I can't run it while I'm in the room, but I run it after I go to bed or leave the house for a couple hours and it does a nice job removing the cigar smell.

They don't have the one I bought in 2016 on Amazon any more but I found what looks the same of eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11386073672...pid=8044020184

Then this one on Amazon sounds fairly similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Ge...ps%2C86&sr=8-8

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

The idea that you can negate the cigar smoke smell while you are smoking is pretty much a pipe dream. The only way to do it would be to have a massive amount of ventilation with the outdoors.

I’d get a box fan and blow it out the window while smoking. Similar to Tom, I run a powerful ionizer when the house is unoccupied.

https://www.amazon.com/Enerzen-Comme.../dp/B00JAP7388
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I agree that smoke eaters do little to alleviate the smoke while actually smoking. Ionizers do great afterward but aren't good for the moment. I tried a rocky mountain air. For after the smoke, it was okay. Not any good for actively occupying the room because it can cause breathing issues. I had 2 rabbit airs equipped with smoke filters and they did little to ease the burden of smoke even in my 200 sq ft man cave. They did well to eliminate residual odor when run overnight. If someone ever invented a system that would remove the smoke at demand, they would be millionaires over night. But as Wharf Rat said, "It's a pipe dream."

I drug my fire pit in the garage, light it up and crack garage door 8". Sometimes I use kerosene heater, which is somewhat cheaper.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Do you have a window? A dual fan exhaust vent should be your primary. Best to remove as much smoke as possible while still able to enjoy the cigar. Treat whatever remains.

Too much ventilation and you'll barely taste the cigar. Too loud an exhaust fan and it's just not that pleasant to sit near.

@bruceolee mentions on flooring & upholstery; make a big difference. Who wants cigar burn whole in beautiful floor print fabric sofa?

@icehog3 mentions the ionizer. They work great, as a post smoking treatment. Ionizer can leave a residue on surfaces, and not good to be around.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #7
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

I don't know if you have an extra bedroom or even a loft you could inclose! That is what I did upstairs was inclose a loft. The next step was to have the new ventilation fan installed. The fan I chose was a Broan L900 901CFM with 4.1 Sones. Also used a Broan Transition 8x12 to 12 inch.
Hooked up to a Broan Electronic Variable speed control 3 amp 120V 57w. All flowing throw 12” duct for 5 feet to a outside duct. Low on the Sones so not to loud but enough CFM to completely exchange the air in the room every minute! I also use a Winix C535 Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology and scented candle.
In this pic you can see the grill mounted in the celling
Old 02-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #8
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Very professional!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #9
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Agreed. Air exchange is the only way to do it while smoking. I had a friend, inmate, who's brother built an amazing cigar lounge in his basement. He had a remote exhaust fan vented via the ceiling to the outdoors, plus a fresh/cold air return to relieve negative pressure. Best yet since it was in Michigan, he had an in-line heat coil that would heat up returning air if it was below a certain temp (which was adjustable via a thermostat). All automated. It was pretty slick. He used to have a website showing his complete build. Not sure if I can dig up the URL though.

I'm with Tom though on the deionizer/Ozone producers. They kill stale lingering smells, even tough ones like smoke. You just can't sit in there while they run though.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Yeah I tried looking up his website for information but that website is gone his name is Ryan Deyer I did find a video I’ll post that https://player.vimeo.com/video/14319197
Old 02-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #11
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Holy cow. Thank you for all of the suggestions. I thought there could be an easy solution to some smoke in the house. Silly me!! Given all that I've read from you guys, I think I'll just wait out the cold air. Should hit 40 this week, so there's that.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #12
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, that's the build I was talking about. Ryan's brother was an inmate at one point. Anyway, Ryan also had a website with all the build plans for the entire basement reno. He listed part numbers, where he got each item, cost, etc. He showed how he created vapor barriers in the walls, ceiling, had electronic baffles in the ducts, etc. It was pretty cool.

I wanted to emulate his design but never got around to it in my last place. If we do build a new house some day there will be a cigar room setup similarly like that. Not 100% the same but similar from the ventilation standpoint.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #13
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Yeah he has a great knowledge of venting systems. I am not a fan of the box he created you have to sit in and watch TV through a window If I had the room he had I would have done the whole room. My room is set up for only 2 smokers and all my collectables, but most of the time it's just me
I do have another setup downstairs (larger fan & surround sound system) that I used to use till I had to move my mom in to take care of her till she passed. Then my FIL moved into the room and I take care of him now. When the room is empty again I will set it up for more guests at a time
Old 02-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #14
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havanaaddict View Post
Yeah he has a great knowledge of venting systems. I am not a fan of the box he created you have to sit in and watch TV through a window If I had the room he had I would have done the whole room. My room is set up for only 2 smokers and all my collectables, but most of the time it's just me
I do have another setup downstairs (larger fan & surround sound system) that I used to use till I had to move my mom in to take care of her till she passed. Then my FIL moved into the room and I take care of him now. When the room is empty again I will set it up for more guests at a time
Yeah I'm with you but back when he did this TV's cost quite a bit more than they do now, at least that's my guess why. Still the ventilation setup plus the O3 generators all into wall switches is pretty slick. Nowadays I'm sure it would be possible to make the same setup via some smart interface you could control via your smartphone.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #15
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

I should state that not only do i use a fan in the window but also have an attic fan we use on cool days to bring the nice cool air through the house and on those days (like today) smoking around the house isn't much of a problem even though i still try to stick to one room. Smell isn't much of a problem for me other than on my clothes