Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 05-10-2021, 06:03 PM   #2661
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
I probably won't be heading there anytime soon, Tom. Theo is your guy for that. He'll probably throw a group together for a visit. Heck, come down here yourself and join them. Kentucky is slated to remove all restaurant/bar Covid restrictions on May 28. You'll have no excuses after that.
None.....besides money and distance. But not unovercomable.

I made up a new word.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:28 AM   #2662
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Any chance one of the Old Carters was American Batch 4 (139.6 proof)? I still haven't cracked mine, and they're already going for double what I paid for it a few months ago.
Unfortunately not, KY Whiskery Batch 1 and Bourbon Batch 6. I've got a bottle of the Bourbon Batch 6 and think it's good not great, if I had realized it was Dickel I probably wouldn't have bothered. I've got a bottle of Bourbon Batch 7 on its way now that they've gone back to MGP for the latest run. I'm trying to convince myself I don't need more of them, too dang expensive, but they're fun. I just got a sample set yesterday from a friend that has American Batch 4 in it (along with a Bourbon, Rye, KY and Bourbon Single Barrel) so I'll let you know when I give that an open
Old 05-11-2021, 06:34 AM   #2663
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Has anybody tried the Woodford Reserve "Malt", "wheat", or "rye" versions? There is a local spot that has been selling them for $19.99 a bottle, a very, very, very reasonable price. I personally like The malt and the wheat even better than the normal bourbon.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:29 AM   #2664
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Looking forward to hearing about the OC when you get to it, Ben.

Todd, that sounds like an outstanding price for the Woodford variants.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #2665
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing about the OC when you get to it, Ben.

Todd, that sounds like an outstanding price for the Woodford variants.
When I was to see my son in Milwaukee, everywhere I found them (2 places) they went between $39 & $45.

At $20 a bottle, those could easily become a go to pour as a nightcap.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #2666
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
Had a good week. Got an email last Friday that I won the spring raffle at Total Wine for the Old Forester 150. Saturday I stopped at Spec's and grabbed the new Pinhook Tiz Rye 5 year. Monday I picked up the Weller 107. Tuesday I got a call that I had the Elijah Craig 18 year. Wednesday was the EHT Small Batch. And today I got call that I had a allocated bottle of Elmer T. Lee waiting for me at the store. It was a really good week!

Incredible to get all of this without having to take out a second mortgage, congrats
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #2667
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

This is a very nice bourbon, but it is hard to find outside of Wisconsin.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #2668
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Killer week, Tony!

I headed to the city to grab some bottles I had already paid for some time back (Old Haymarket SiB pick, another Whistlepig 2 barrel blend pick). Owner let me try the Barrel Bourbon SiB pick, grabbed one of those too, never had Barrel before.

Pops is that the WP you sent me a little bottle of? I haven't found a WP store pick I don't like. I just wish we could see some with higher proof. I found out United has a hub at Newark and Chicago meaning cheap flights. I might have to come over for drink
Old 05-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #2669
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Son, that is the WP I sent. No super recent picks, but I agree, every WP group or store pick I have had has been stellar. Plus gives me a break from my constant barrage of 125+ proof pours. You know you are welcome here every day and twice on Tuesdays.

Speaking of high proof, last nights pour, courtesy of Black Carl.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #2670
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Popped in to one of the local B&Ms on a whim and grabbed this plus a bottle of WT101.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:01 PM   #2671
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Curious to hear your thoughts, James, I wasn't a big fan of Dicker's BiB.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #2672
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Cracked open the first Barrell bottle on Friday night. Blend of Tennessee, Indiana, and Kentucky

Seemed very forward on the Tennessee flavors and notes. I hear dried fruit - apricot used to describe the flavors but had never really found that myself, I did in this one. The finish is light considering the proof for this.

The Tennessee is speculated to be Dickel so interested to see what you think Tom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210514_171405.jpg (100.8 KB, 210 views)
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #2673
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Jay, my one and only Barrell is a single barrel, and I am not positive what the source is though I believe it's MGP. I'll have to try and find one of the blends, is that one a specific batch number?

Here's the tater sticker on mine for chits and grins.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #2674
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Opened my oldest Booker's to day, 15-02 (Dot's Batch). It was good, less heat than the typical Booker's finish, a little sweetness on the palate. I'll reserve any real judgment until it's been open several weeks.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #2675
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Jay, my one and only Barrell is a single barrel, and I am not positive what the source is though I believe it's MGP. I'll have to try and find one of the blends, is that one a specific batch number?

Here's the tater sticker on mine for chits and grins.
The one I tried Friday was batch 24.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #2676
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
The one I tried Friday was batch 24.
Thanks, Jay, I'll keep a lookout, although it was could be hard to find, I thought they were at least on Batch 29 now?

Old 05-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #2677
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Barrell is too hard to keep up with, I had a sample from an 18 year bottle that was one of the best pours I had last year but I know there's no chance of finding that one so no reason to look. I know they're trying to settle down a little with Stellum and some of the bigger regular releases like Seagrass but I feel like it would take a lot of money and energy to really get into them like some people do. I don't have anything from them and likely won't unless I get to give it a sample first, the few I've tried have ranged from ok to amazing
Old 05-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #2678
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
Thanks, Jay, I'll keep a lookout, although it was could be hard to find, I thought they were at least on Batch 29 now?
I have seen 28 on the shelves here so 28/29 right in there somewhere.

I agree they are not something that is easy to keep up with, just something different.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #2679
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Did a blind tasting last night from a friend, 5 ryes and last place by far was a 15 year WP10 pick. I don't know what was going on with that barrel but it was not good and so off profile from the typical WP10 or any other single barrels I have tried, fennel and anise and wet wood all the way. I went back through the 5 many times and every time thought that one was not good
Old 05-19-2021, 09:32 AM   #2680
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

One bad barrel don't spoil the whole bunch, Ben...with apologies to the Osmond Brothers.

Had some Booker's 2017-02 last night. It was the current batch when the world lost Chris Cornell 4 years ago yesterday. Listened to Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog and solo stuff.