Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #601
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sous vide

Did a 5+ pound belly yesterday...in the bag with soy, lime, ginger, thai chili, coconut sugar and garlic...172.5 for about 9hrs ....served with steamed jasmine rice and stir fried veg.....best part was I reduced the braise liquid from the bag to a thick glaze....coated and under the broiler to set....was fantastic!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #602
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #603
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
.....best part was I reduced the braise liquid from the bag to a thick glaze....coated and under the broiler to set....was fantastic!
I regret not making as thick of a glaze the second time I make belly, it was definitely the shining light from my first go at it. I reduced it down by about 75%, to the point that it looked like molasses, I thought it was going to be too thick but I was very wrong

I prefer the higher temp/less time approach as well, I think I did 10 hrs @ 170* and it was perfect
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #604
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Cooked lamb and tri-tip over the weekend, the lamb was 10 hrs @ I think 154*, with some lemon juice, thyme, rosemary, cucumbers and garlic. broiled for maybe a couple minutes more than I should have, but it still turned out great.

For the tri-tip, I used the other half of a big chunk I got from costco a few weeks back, marinated in their "steakhouse" sauce/rub. 6 hours at 130*, broiled for 4 minutes on one side and 3 on the other, came out absolutely perfect (I would have done a touch less if it were just for me, but it was still a great med-rare).
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #605
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

That looks awesome, Keith!!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:15 AM   #606
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Looks great, Keith.

Ben, What cut of lamb? Another leg?
Old 07-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #607
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Ya it was the rest of the boneless leg roast, most things I buy big and cut down/freeze for later, the downside of almost always cooking for just two
Old 07-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #608
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Question for you gurus, a few of us are helping some friends move all day Saturday so I was trying to think of something easy we can all have for dinner at their new place without too much work/mess, so I'm gravitating towards pre-cooking a tri-tip and finishing it in their oven when we're ready to eat. I've pre-SV'd entrees before and finished on a grill/oven out of the fridge, but it's always been with thinner proteins (pulled carnitas, chicken strips)

If I did this with a thicker steak do I need to take anything into consideration in terms of making sure the inside is hot enough without overcooking the outsides? Or would 5-7 minutes in a broiler bring the whole thing from cold to hot? I was thinking maybe something like putting it in the oven at 200* for 15-20 minutes then cranking up the broiler and proceeding the same way I normally do when it comes straight out of the bath, or even cooking it at a lower temp in the SV so any oven overcooking will bring it up to the level of doneness preferred, but I don't know the best method. If I was making it at home I could put it in a bath at the same exact temp just before broiling, but I don't want to lug the equipment around when the place is already gonna be a mess. Any thoughts from anybody who has tried this?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #609
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

I just reheat with the sous vide...then finish in oven like normal....
Old 07-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #610
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Did a 5+ pound belly yesterday...in the bag with soy, lime, ginger, thai chili, coconut sugar and garlic...172.5 for about 9hrs ....served with steamed jasmine rice and stir fried veg.....best part was I reduced the braise liquid from the bag to a thick glaze....coated and under the broiler to set....was fantastic!
OMG Keith! That is pure food p*rn! Awesome job.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #611
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

In the middle of a new recipe for cold brew coffee I found on the sous vide website. First round was awesome needed another brew so I would have some for the morning.

Coffee mason jar 4 cups of water and seal then 146 for 2 hrs the strain and drink or refrigerate
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #612
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

sounds like hot brew to me

how much coffee do you use? I'm gonna give this a try, I like my coffee steaming hot but I know enough people that love cold brew that I always wish I had some around
Old 08-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #613
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Beef eye of round. Covered in spicy rub, smoke setting on the pellet grill for 2 hours, bagged up and SV for 12 hours at 134F. Chilled overnight in the refrigerator, moved to the freezer for an hour or so before running it through the meat slicer this morning. Almost no juice in the bag or shed when slicing.

Very supple, maybe even a bit too soft. I think I need to dial back the cook time a bit or use a larger cut of meat.

Nice smoke ring, boring photo otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roast_beef_20170801_081448.jpg (87.8 KB, 321 views)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:16 AM   #614
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

Ben I use 7 table spoons of coffee in the mason jar.
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #615
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Who here is gonna be the first to SV a pig head?
Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #616
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Who here is gonna be the first to SV a pig head?
I sous vided'd a garden salad once. Does that count?

(epic fail btw.)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #617
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Had a few friends over last night for the GoT finale, tried to think of something fitting to make for dinner so I ended on a leg of lamb. Went to the butcher and got a beautiful ~6lb leg, bigger than my stock pot so it gave me a legitimate excuse to break out the big tub. I made a spice rub similar to this, although I toasted all of them on a pan before using. I took out the leg, cut around the tip of the bone to make frenching it easier, scored the fat (although not as deep as it should have been) then rubbed it down with half the spice blend. I put a few dashes of liquid smoke in a big vac bag, put the leg in then sealed.

Cooked this for 25 hours at 131* then took it out, patted it down and loaded it up with the rest of the spice blend (althought I added black sesames and a little coffee for the last application, didn't want those flavors permeating but thought they would help make a good crust). I propped it up on a ball of foil and finished in the oven at 450* for 30 minutes.

This thing turned out stunning, better than I could have hoped for. I let it rest about 10 minutes then carved the leg, everything was cooked perfectly. Naturally once I was done I picked up the leg and gnawed at the meat left on the bone. I made a little sauce with the bag juice and some balsamic vinegar, but honestly it didn't need it. My friend's mother came over for dinner as well, she said she hadn't had lamb since she was 10 because she thought she hated it, but after trying this she said she must never had it cooked correctly, because she loved it and would have it again. Even my friend's 5yo daughter was eating it up. Definitely a success I hope to do again sometime soon

Old 08-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #618
croatan
Missing Peter

Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Looks and sounds delicious! Thinking I might have to give lamb a try.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #619
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

That looks fantastic!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #620
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Awesome job, Ben!