Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #621
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Thank Peter, the good times are coming!! Walk on!!!
How was the Fonseca? I'd imagine it would take 24 hours in decanter to shine.

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 12-03-2014 at 11:40 PM.
mosesbotbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #622
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

It was very tasty and smooth!! Yea I should've let it sit for longer only let it sit for 2 hours, didn't plan on opening it. Moses when you tell me to decant 6 -24 hours. Am I supposed to use the decanter /aerator I have pictured with a large opening with no lid, or am I supposed to use one with a lid/filter and pour back in the bottle? I'm plan on busting out the '85 vintage during the holidays.
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #623
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It was very tasty and smooth!! Yea I should've let it sit for longer only let it sit for 2 hours, didn't plan on opening it. Moses when you tell me to decant 6 -24 hours. Am I supposed to use the decanter /aerator I have pictured with a large opening with no lid, or am I supposed to use one with a lid/filter and pour back in the bottle? I'm plan on busting out the '85 vintage during the holidays.
Two hours is like nothing on the Fonseca.

Well, it depends. With the Fonseca, you could've left it in the decanter with a cloth over the opening to keep flies from going into it for 24 hours.

What I and many do is pour a bottle through cheese cloth into a decanter, rinse the original bottle out with just water and then pour the port back into the bottle. If you did that with Fonseca, 24-48 hours then drink. Always best to take a little sip here and there to see how it evolves.

The '85 (Warres, correct)?, I would leave in the decanter for 6-7 hours and drink or decant back in the bottle the night before. '85 is generally a great vintage, but some producers made junk that year like Croft, Sandeman, and Noval; avoid those. Talyor, Fonseca, Grahams, Dow, Warres, Ramos Pinto, Ferreira, a few others made great stuff that is a good value.

Heck, why pay $80 for a 2011 vintage when you can buy '85 for the same price? Even if you age it another 20-30 years, which one would you want to drink more in 30 years? I'll take the '85. I generally won't buy any VP past 2000; why bother?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #624
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #625
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Bump were are my winos at??
Old 01-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #626
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I think they were scared off by the enormous pictures.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #627
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Sorry that's just how mine post!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #628
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Sorry that's just how mine post!
You can resize them before posting.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #629
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

For being 28 years old I'm not that tech savvy so just deal with my big pics LOL YNWA how bout Diego Costa getting fined for what happened to Emre Can Walk on Perer with your head held up high!!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #630
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
For being 28 years old I'm not that tech savvy so just deal with my big pics LOL YNWA how bout Diego Costa getting fined for what happened to Emre Can Walk on Perer with your head held up high!!

One of these days we should Skype Herf and I'll walk you through the process.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #631
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Gabe you can also just click the "Go Advanced" button under the text entry box, from there you can add an attachment by clicking manage attachments, it will let you browse your machine, select the picture and upload it in a thumbnail version, people will see it full sized when they click on it... thusly ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vtm307-orchidea-wine-glass.jpg (57.3 KB, 412 views)
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #632
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

No large pictures, just a bump! First warm day of the year here in the Philly Suburbs, went for a walk with an Opus X and Sandeman Founders Reserve
Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 AM   #633
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
No large pictures, just a bump! First warm day of the year here in the Philly Suburbs, went for a walk with an Opus X and Sandeman Founders Reserve
You were walking around with a bottle or glass of port?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #634
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
You were walking around with a bottle or glass of port?
He said he's from the Philly Suburbs, so you know he was drinking right out of the bottle.
I've seen Keith do this many times.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #635
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Hahaha not the bottle but yes a glass of Port.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #636
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

A Santa Barbara great. This 2006 Sea Smoke Pinot is a fantastic example of California Pinot if the alcohol level is controlled. Santa Rita Hills can surprise.
Delicious, with wonderful bouquet.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #637
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

I like the older style Pinot's made in CA. I've had plenty bottles of Beaulieu Vineyard Beaumont Pinot Noir from the 1960's and early 70's that were ringers for Burgundy if served blind. I pick them up whenever I see them. CA's problem is not the grapes, but the wine making techniques. The golden age of Napa, they would mimic France's wine making style and they are still the best wines from CA (compared to today).

The tide is turning though. Wine makers are slowing "de-Parkerizing" their wines and hopefully the selection of classic Pinot Noir will grow.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #638
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Agreed. The over extractin and big heat have really bothered some Santa Rita wines. . Sea Smoke makes a nice contrast to the norm, seemingly behaving as a cooler climate area.

I'm not sure "Sideways" did us any favors, as everyone started making Pinot - but it's a finicky little berry and not everyone should!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #639
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
I'm not sure "Sideways" did us any favors, as everyone started making Pinot - but it's a finicky little berry and not everyone should!
"Sideways" did a lot for me. It made epic older Merlot's from the early 90's and older very affordable. Plenty of excellent older Merlot floating around for great prices...

I just was outbid on some '92 Duckhorn Merlot Mag's for like $50 each. I think my bid was around $45... Kind of pissed I did not chase them, but it's not like I need any more wine...
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #640
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Anybody worried about the recent studies that found arsenic in wine? Will this change your drinking habits?