Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #1
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Jameson Orange

I've done reviews on a few other new products from them here in the past (Caskmates, Black Barrel, and Coffee Brew, I think) but hesitated lately because Jameson has branched off into hard seltzers and who knows what else.

I've been curious about the latest product, Jameson Orange. So I asked a very knowledgeable Party Source employee if she'd tried it. My nickname for her is "Whiskey Lady", because part of her job is to taste new stuff before the store commits to an order. (Sounds like a decent gig, right?)

In short, she told me that Jameson Orange wasn't a stand alone sipping beverage, it would be okay in a cocktail, maybe. So, unless they come out with a 200ml or smaller bottle, I'll take her word for it.

Anybody here tried it yourself? I'm listening.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jameson Orange

By itself it wasn't good. Good Kyle mixed it with something and made a creamsicle type of thing. It was good.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:37 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:55 AM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Old 06-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #5
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
You and icehog3 would be surprised by some of the mixed drink concoctions I've come up with that use well grade bourbon or rum as the base. Hey, they're not worth sipping on their own.

Had no interest in that sort of experimenting until COVID shut bars down here in 2020. My latest is...you know what, maybe that's better discussed in another thread. Let me see if there's a cocktail discussion here already.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #6
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Dan, your input is also appreciated.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I'm not a big whiskey mixed drink drinker (a mixed drink to me is a splash of water in my whiskey ) unless I'm on vacation or at a steak house, so I'm going to pass on the Orange. Unless, like you said, I could get a small bottle to sample.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Axeman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Lance
Trading: (0)
Axeman will become famous soon enough

I love a good whiskey sour. Made with individual ingredients. The whiskey doesn't matter much.
Axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:09 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
You and icehog3 would be surprised by some of the mixed drink concoctions I've come up with .

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-22-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Personally, I enjoy a good Irish whiskey...Jameson isn't One of them. In fact, there are many that are far superior and the less expensive. I do have a friend however who has dabbled in the different "finishes" for Jameson, and at his house for cigars, he won't ask me what I'd like to drink, he just pours it, especially when he's trying to get me to sample something he knows I probably won't like. Thankfully they are usually small pours. I cannot say I enjoy any of the other jamesons. When somebody says an Irish whiskey is blended to be used in a mixed drink, all I can do is roll my eyes.

There was one Irish that was finished in a Sherry cask, and I found that very enjoyable. I think it was Kilbrin? But don't quote me on that.

Anyway, my unwillingness to enjoy sour beers, fruity beers, and flavored whiskeys probably comes from my being an old, cantankerous, curmudgeon.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Anyway, my unwillingness to enjoy sour beers, fruity beers, and flavored whiskeys probably comes from my being an old, cantankerous, curmudgeon.
At least now I know my problem too, Todd.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
At least now I know my problem too, Todd.
Glad I could be of assistance!
Old 06-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #13
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Quote:

Yep. I'll prove it by blending a couple of well bourbon-based drinks at Shack. Stuff I figured out when bars here were closed during early 2020. Did some experiments and a few were pretty good. The rest..not so much.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:56 PM   #14
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Personally, I enjoy a good Irish whiskey...Jameson isn't One of them. In fact, there are many that are far superior and the less expensive. I do have a friend however who has dabbled in the different "finishes" for Jameson, and at his house for cigars, he won't ask me what I'd like to drink, he just pours it, especially when he's trying to get me to sample something he knows I probably won't like. Thankfully they are usually small pours. I cannot say I enjoy any of the other jamesons. When somebody says an Irish whiskey is blended to be used in a mixed drink, all I can do is roll my eyes.
When 2020 closures forced me to stay home for a few weeks, I picked up some Tullamore Dew.. Drank that straight.

But when things got back to near normal, finding a place that both allowed cigars AND had better Irish than Jameson was a challenge. Still is. And for me, staying home feels like involuntary confinement.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:15 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Yep. I'll prove it by blending a couple of well bourbon-based drinks at Shack. Stuff I figured out when bars here were closed during early 2020. Did some experiments and a few were pretty good. The rest..not so much.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:18 AM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Jameson be like

Old 06-23-2022, 08:38 AM   #17
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
I'll pass on flavored whiskey and go straight for that 15 year Knob Creek that's hiding in Dave's cabinet
Old 06-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
When 2020 closures forced me to stay home for a few weeks, I picked up some Tullamore Dew.. Drank that straight.

But when things got back to near normal, finding a place that both allowed cigars AND had better Irish than Jameson was a challenge. Still is. And for me, staying home feels like involuntary confinement.
Tullamore Dew is better than Jameson.

Some that Irish(s) I have sampled in the last couple years and found good. (price I paid for it)

Kilbrin *** ($20)
Red Breast 12 ** (for the price, thought it would be better than it was - won't buy again at $53)
Tullamore Dew *** ($20)
Tullamore Dew (rum cask finish) *** ($27)
Teeling Small Batch *** ($28)
Teeling Single Grain **** ($39)
Kavanagh Toasted French Oak Finish **** ($30)
Knappogue Castle **** ($25)
Knockmore **** ($23)
Knappogue Castle Single Malt 12 Yr ****+ ($34)
Quiet Man **** ($34) [one of my favorite movies, had to have the whiskey - will have it again]
Paddy's ***+ ($20)

There have been a couple more, but that is enough to start. I love to walk into a place with a great selection and just browse. If it is in glass, has a cork, and is under $40 - I look at it and cogitate...if it is under $30, I will probably pull the trigger. AND, I am a sucker for a bottle that comes in it's own "tabernacle", especially if it is tube shaped (and I have yet to be disappointed).

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:24 AM   #19
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the list Todd!
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #20
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

COVID did in one of the best features at Party Source here in Cincytucky. They had a "tasting library", where you could try a sample of something you were considering buying a bottle of. Typically, they had partial bottles of anything the staff had been testing out. Especially if it was new to their shelves.

That spoiled me, admittedly. It also got me to go ahead with confidence and make purchases. Don't understand why they haven't gone back to doing it. Staffers there have given me different answers.