Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #2721
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Killed a Canadian rye in honor of the Canadiens' victory last night.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #2722
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thanks, All!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #2723
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Visiting in-laws and picked this up at their B&M. Never tried it before but the price was right.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #2724
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

They Just Put Out "3" Bottles Of Knob Creek 120 Proof! Got One For $55!!!

Old 06-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #2725
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Nice grab, Greg, never been disappointed by a KC.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #2726
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Excellent Greg!

Let us know how the WW is, James.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #2727
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Interested to see what you think James, I picked up a bottle about a month when it came more available in KC ago but have not tried it yet.

Watch around you Greg, I was able to pickup a bottle of OF 1920 here a few weeks ago for less than $50 in KC (Kansas tax is high) from a store that does one day discounts on Fridays. I didn't know about it until I signed up for the news letter.

On more to the list <$50 Four Roses Single Barrell is mostly available and a solid pickup.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #2728
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post

On more to the list <$50 Four Roses Single Barrell is mostly available and a solid pickup.
I’ve been told that by a few friends also.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:29 AM   #2729
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Thanks, Again, Everyone! Keep The Suggestions Flowing!
Old 06-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #2730
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Knob Creek picks! Just got back from Vegas, everywhere had a KC pick and they were all the cheapest thing on the menu, $14 for a big pour of 120 proof when other drinks are $25 is a stupid steal, I've never run across one that didn't taste at least "good" if not "great+"

Don't have much to add that others haven't said, if you can get some young MGP (4-5 years) in that price range you won't be disappointed but those are getting to be harder to find, at least without some sort of premium on it.

Love me some Four Roses, I prefer the barrel strength picks but they're getting impossible to find as well (or crazy expensive). The regular 100 proof single barrel is a solid choice though, I tried a couple not too long ago and was really impressed with how different the profiles were, I had always looked past that one but am now convinced it's a really solid pour
Old 06-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #2731
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Knob Creek picks! Just got back from Vegas, everywhere had a KC pick and they were all the cheapest thing on the menu, $14 for a big pour of 120 proof when other drinks are $25 is a stupid steal, I've never run across one that didn't taste at least "good" if not "great+"

Don't have much to add that others haven't said, if you can get some young MGP (4-5 years) in that price range you won't be disappointed but those are getting to be harder to find, at least without some sort of premium on it.

Love me some Four Roses, I prefer the barrel strength picks but they're getting impossible to find as well (or crazy expensive). The regular 100 proof single barrel is a solid choice though, I tried a couple not too long ago and was really impressed with how different the profiles were, I had always looked past that one but am now convinced it's a really solid pour
Thanks, Ben! So Four Roses Single Barrel Is A Good Every Day, But Barrel Strength Is Better If I Can Find It???
Old 06-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #2732
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Thanks, Ben! So Four Roses Single Barrel Is A Good Every Day, But Barrel Strength Is Better If I Can Find It???
In my opinion, yes. Things get deep fast when it comes to the barrel strength picks (they have 10 recipes, and 6 different floors they store on with higher floors typically being higher proof, and each combination of those produces a different profile) but if you can get one for under ~$90 (SRP) then the rest doesn't really matter. On the secondary market they usually start around $120+ and go up to $400+ for the right recipe and proof. I've tried all the recipes a couple times and in general the only thing you could discern between them blind is whether it's high rye ("B" recipes) or low rye ("E" recipes), the rest is all about how that specific single barrel tastes. For comparison, the 100 proof single barrels are all the same recipe (OBSV) and while they come from different floors/tiers, they are all watered down to the same 100 proof
Old 06-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #2733
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

These are the 10 recipes, in general the descriptions are fine but when it comes to single barrels the original mash bill and yeast is only one small part of what influences the final taste profile

Old 06-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #2734
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Wow, Ben! Too Complicated For My Senior Mind!. I Found This:
Hopefully It's A Good One For Around $60.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #2735
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I like the small batch select a lot, I always keep one around. It's a blend of 6 of their recipes (a balance of high rye and lower rye recipes) aged 6-7 years. Nice pickup!

FYI - Four roses posts a lot of detail about their offerings on their website: https://fourrosesbourbon.com/bourbon...-batch-select/
Old 06-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #2736
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
I like the small batch select a lot, I always keep one around. It's a blend of 6 of their recipes (a balance of high rye and lower rye recipes) aged 6-7 years. Nice pickup!

FYI - Four roses posts a lot of detail about their offerings on their website: https://fourrosesbourbon.com/bourbon...-batch-select/
Thanks, Ben! Great Info!
Old 06-28-2021, 02:53 PM   #2737
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Thanks, Ben! Great Info!
Extreme transparency is part of the reason I love Four Roses
Old 06-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #2738
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

One More Question: Any Decent Bourbons I Can Buy For "Every Day" That Are Less Than $50/Bottle???
Old 06-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #2739
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

My everyday's include Buffalo Trace store picks ($25), Elijah Craig/Larceny store picks ($35), Early Times Bottled in Bond ($25), regular Knob Creek ($35), Rebel/Ezra store picks ($40). There are probably a few others but those are the ones I keep around off the top of my head
Old 06-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #2740
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
My everyday's include Buffalo Trace store picks ($25), Elijah Craig/Larceny store picks ($35), Early Times Bottled in Bond ($25), regular Knob Creek ($35), Rebel/Ezra store picks ($40). There are probably a few others but those are the ones I keep around off the top of my head
Thanks, My Friend!