Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default Starter pipe

So I was reading in the ask an old fart thread, newbs should start with a corncob...is that because of cost?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
adampc22

Default Re: Starter pipe

i started with a brier i had got about 50 briers before i got my first cob
Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Kirk, I think the corncob is for reason of cost and efficiency. I mean $5 a pipe and you don't have to worry about breaking it. Also it's a good starter pipe to learn how much to fill and how to keep it lit with less maintenance of the more popular brands.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
morefifemusic

Cob is also nice because it does not ghost like a briar will. Smoking different kinds of baccy in a briar (Virginia, Virginia/Perique, English, Balkan, etc.) will lead to ghosting of flavors. The pipe may end up mucking up the baccy taste.

Not an issue when you have enough pipes to dedicate to different tobacco types, but it can be an issue when starting out.

I always have a couple of cobs for trying new baccys.

Cost is also an advantage. Sucks to buy a $75 briar and find you don't like pipe smoking.

Hope that helps.

-Tyler
Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
adampc22

dont get me wrong i like smoke my cob i just like my briers better its the englishmen in me i guess
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by morefifemusic View Post
Cob is also nice because it does not ghost like a briar will. Smoking different kinds of baccy in a briar (Virginia, Virginia/Perique, English, Balkan, etc.) will lead to ghosting of flavors. The pipe may end up mucking up the baccy taste.

Not an issue when you have enough pipes to dedicate to different tobacco types, but it can be an issue when starting out.

I always have a couple of cobs for trying new baccys.

Cost is also an advantage. Sucks to buy a $75 briar and find you don't like pipe smoking.

Hope that helps.

-Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Kirk, I think the corncob is for reason of cost and efficiency. I mean $5 a pipe and you don't have to worry about breaking it. Also it's a good starter pipe to learn how much to fill and how to keep it lit with less maintenance of the more popular brands.

Like they said it is 1) very cost effective, 2) very good to learn how to fill and light (you wont feel that bad scorching it) 3) it wont ghost. I always recommend pipes for starters.

Happy Piping!

Edit: I for got to mention that they are generally good smokers; to be honest, I've been smoking my cobb more than my briars becuase of how it smokes.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
morefifemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Edit: I for got to mention that they are generally good smokers; to be honest, I've been smoking my cobb more than my briars becuase of how it smokes.
For sure, they are great for their light and forget qualities.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

cuz its piss cheap
Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
cuz its piss cheap
one of the main reasons.

would suck to spend $100+ on a nice briar only to find out you don't like going through the motions of smoking a pipe (or just don't enjoy the pipe tobacco flavors).
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
TheJ

You don't have to break in a cob. From the get go you you taste the flavors of the tobacco and can enjoy a full bowl. Same goes for Meerschaums. Neither one needs a cake.

Aesthetically not as sophisticated as a Briar, but consistently a good smoke. Although a first pipe for many beginners I think there are many seasoned smokers that smoke them regularly. I started with one just because I didn't know how well I'd take the transition from cigarettes. I've come across posts on other parts of the www from guys that for years have only smoked corn cobs and wouldn't dream of smoking anything else.

I'm glad I came across the post. I need to stock up on some cobs to hand out on International Pipe Smoking Day, February 20.