Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Flake Pipe suggestions

Yeah, I know- this is like my 5th "I need a suggestion from you fine people!" thread, but who cares. LOL

So I'm getting into flake tobaccos, specifically VaPers, and from what Ive read, pipe with tall narrow chambers are ideal for flakes. While I'm not in the market now to buy a new pipe, I want to know what to look out for should the opportunity come for me to get one.

a few qualifications for this pipe:

1) needs to have a straight stem
2) needs to be lightweight so I can clench it in my teeth ( I often read while smoking pipes, and I like to have my hands free)
3) needs to be quality. I want it to smoke well and be worth it's cost. I am opening suggestions up to any price range, if you think it is worth it.
4) I'm most drawn towards billiard shapes. If you can find a canadian that can be comfortably clenched then suggest that too.

If you think of any other qualifications or pipe suggestions, please feel free to post!

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flake Pipe suggestions

Okay, maybe just suggestions on quality flake pipes... Lol
Old 04-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

If you rub out your flakes, IMO the shape of the bowl doesn't matter.
If I am going to fold and stuff a flake I usually do it in a cob, because it does have the deep bowl, or sometimes and Oom Paul shaped pipe.
I know that doesn't help you pick a new pipe but that's what works best for me.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Well, Savinelli Autographs tend to be on the deeper side, but might be too heavy for teeth clenching...don't have one (yet) so can't be sure about the teeth clenching...
Old 04-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Peterson makes a few pipes that are well known for being good to flakes. Barrel and Tankard shapes. Here they are on the shape chart.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
If you rub out your flakes, IMO the shape of the bowl doesn't matter.
If I am going to fold and stuff a flake I usually do it in a cob, because it does have the deep bowl, or sometimes and Oom Paul shaped pipe.
I know that doesn't help you pick a new pipe but that's what works best for me.
Yeah, I meant for folding a flake. I actually smoked some solani 633 in my cobb, and it was excellent. They may not be as visually appealing, but they get the job done. I might just buy a few more MM cobbs for now.

Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions! Like I said, I'm not in the market for a briar flake pipe now, but down the line I would like to know what to look for.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Peterson makes a few pipes that are well known for being good to flakes. Barrel and Tankard shapes. Here they are on the shape chart.
I have seen the barrel and tankards and they look great! Pretty inexpensive too, as pipes go.

Do those of you with Peterson Barrels notice much gurgling? Are they easy to clench?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I have seen the barrel and tankards and they look great! Pretty inexpensive too, as pipes go.

Do those of you with Peterson Barrels notice much gurgling? Are they easy to clench?
Peterson Barrell and Tankards

I'll bet any of these would make a great flake pipe and at $55 how wrong can you go...and considering their configuration it looks like they'd easily pass the pipe cleaner test, so no gurgle...damn, I think I'm gonna buy one...
Old 04-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Peterson Barrell and Tankards

I'll bet any of these would make a great flake pipe and at $55 how wrong can you go...and considering their configuration it looks like they'd easily pass the pipe cleaner test, so no gurgle...damn, I think I'm gonna buy one...
Yeah, Ive been looking at the rusticated barrel for a while... I just want to get some longevity out of it...
Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

4 number kaywoodies. have several, love em. check ebay
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

the tankards are great for flakes I have one myself and it would be my #1 flake pipe. small bowl is its only drawback
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1075 View Post
the tankards are great for flakes I have one myself and it would be my #1 flake pipe. small bowl is its only drawback
how heavy are they?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Do the Barrels or the Tankards come with anything except a P-lip?
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Do the Barrels or the Tankards come with anything except a P-lip?
From what I'm looking at, no. I've never had a p-lip. what's the big deal about em?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

Quote:
how heavy are they?
they are very light
Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Did a little looking around and another pipe forum said that the tankard smokes hot, and disappointing.

it also mentioned a Sav Duca Carlo as a good substitute.

Duca Carlo Pipe Shape 310 KS
Chamber Depth: 1 1/4"
Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Weight: 1.8 Ounces
Availability: In Stock

Anyone with a Peterson Tankard wanna chime in about how hot it smokes? Anyone with a Duca Carlo?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

Quote:
From what I'm looking at, no. I've never had a p-lip. what's the big deal about em?
the p-lip makes the smoke hit the roof of your mouth then curl back around giving your tongue a break so if you are a cigar smoker or a multi bowl a day smoker it should be a nice change of pace for you
Old 04-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

like I said I think the tankard smokes great but so do most flake pipes if you smoke slowly it smokes wonderful and pretty cool. If you hammer it you won't be happy with it.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #19
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1075 View Post
like I said I think the tankard smokes great but so do most flake pipes if you smoke slowly it smokes wonderful and pretty cool. If you hammer it you won't be happy with it.
Yeah, I've been taught that flakes need to be smoked slower, especially va or va/pers, otherwise sublteties will be missed.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
ultramag
Scared of Curly Cut

First Name: Chad
Trading: (7)
Partagas
ultramag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyone with a Duca Carlo?
I don't have Duca Carlo, however I have that same shape in a Savinelli Roma (same pipe, different finish) and I think it is a pretty good flake pipe. Doesn't smoke hot or anything like that and is real comfortable to clench. It gets used when I'm doing alot of things around here and need my hands because it is a good clencher and not a high dollar pipe.

I wouldn't be afraid of the Pete's the others have mentioned either for a flake pipe. I would suspect the guys running them smoke flakes hot rather than the pipe itself. To be fair though, I don't have one. I think I will soon though as I need another flake pipe or two. A Savinelli is most always a good bet though.

To piggyback and throw out another idea/suggestion.....is anyone using a Stanwell Featherweight as a flake pipe? I sure am wanting one of these in a classic shape of some kind. I've been holding off hoping to find an estate though. Any fans here???
ultramag is offline   Reply With Quote