Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #41
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice
Default Re: Motorcycles

Don't feel bad. I was at a stop sign about a month ago when the car in front me decided to back into me Turned out the two guys in the car were illegal and not licensed and were begging me to not call the cops. Too bad for them as I was checking out my bike for damage and they were pleading for me to not call the police a trooper happened to roll up to the stop sign. So I flagged him down explained what happened and let him deal with them. Fortunately no damage to the bike as I was heads up enough to lower the bike as he came into me so the bike went under his bumper rather than into it. Plus riding a supermoto does have it's bonuses when it comes to crashes. Once I figured out my bike was solid minus a couple slight scratches in some of the plastics I walked over to the Trooper and said "My bikes good, you need me?" He responded with "Nope, your done here these guys aren't. You can head out." What really pissed me off is after they backed into me they actually laughed about it so I have no sympathy for them.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #42
leasingthisspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Tabb, if you don't mind my . Make your first bike from 750 - to 1400 cc. Get it used. The average rider is 2,500 - 5000 miles a year, garage kept and never seen the rain. A great place to get some deals and you don't pay the depreciation. It's a good way to see if you will like the "hobby" or if it becomes a lifestyle.and Never buy anything I sell, they are rode hard and I put them up wet, tired but happy.
That's what I am going to be going for a 750-800cc cruizer.
I got the scooter to see if I liked being on the road with other people. Like you said it is way easier to ride around some cones in a parking lot then it is to be on the road with the cones be 10 times your size driving at you.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #43
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I too try to drive mine like everyone is trying to kill me.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #44
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Just for kicks here a 'fun' accident story. Guy on our motorcycle board was commuting from from San Francisco crossing over the Bay Bridge on his KLR. A van punted him over the railling. Yes, like 40 feet down and over the side. He lands on a parked SUV down below. Broken ribs, torn spleen, cracked back, some other 'minor' issues but he's alive. The suspension and smashed roof of the SUV saved his life. Guy spends a few weeks in the hospital and is now home about to start rehab to get back to walking. While he's in a ton of pain, he's supposed to make a full recovery.
So what did we learn? NOthing but it's an interesting accident.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #45
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
I got the scooter to see if I liked being on the road with other people. Like you said it is way easier to ride around some cones in a parking lot then it is to be on the road with the cones be 10 times your size driving at you.
I would recommend the Honda Shadow 750 then. Couple of different looks to pick from. Most folks pimp them out to the max in chrome (which doesn't count in the price). Beautiful balance, small enough to learn on, but still powerful enough if you want to get up on the interstate safely. It does get a little buzzy around 70 - 75 mph but runs strong, even two up with the wife. I rode one for ~20k miles and loved it. A lot out there to pick up cheap as the original owner moves up to a bigger scoot.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #46
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I too try to drive mine like everyone is trying to kill me.
Oh they are, it's just your defense that will keep you alive.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #47
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Taking a MSF course his weekend and then I will be lookng to get either a

Vulcan 900
Sazuki 800
Honda 750

To get into riding again after mny many years away. Fortunately Delaware is a huge biker state (fr such a small state) so most people either ride or know a rider.
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #48
kgraybill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
kgraybill is on a distinguished road

I ride in and around Atlanta, almost every time I ride someone tries to take me out. Over the years I have learned to pick out potential hazardous drivers and I aways try to go through an intersection along side a car.

I saw one of my friend kick a car door while riding. Luckly we we going slow because it threw him off the bike.

Stay Safe Y'all.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #49
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkbyt View Post
but also keeping your head on a swivel doesn't hurt either

As others have said, expect people to not see you, and you'll be a lot safer.

On the highway I give myself plenty of space. In the city everytime I approach an intersection I simply assume somebody is going to blow the stop sign, blow the redlight, turn in front of me.....

Saved my ass any number of times.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #50
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagaspete View Post

Vulcan 900
Sazuki 800
Honda 750

To get into riding again after mny many years away. Fortunately Delaware is a huge biker state (fr such a small state) so most people either ride or know a rider.
All 3 are good rides but I am partial to the Honda 750. Easy to work on... easy to ride and runs for years without any breakdowns. I have owned 3 Honda motorcycles and they just run and run and run. I traded a Suzuki in for my current bike and it ran great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraybill View Post
I ride in and around Atlanta, almost every time I ride someone tries to take me out. Over the years I have learned to pick out potential hazardous drivers and I aways try to go through an intersection along side a car.

I saw one of my friend kick a car door while riding. Luckly we we going slow because it threw him off the bike.

Stay Safe Y'all.
I completely agree with you. Everytime I go downtown invariably I run into these same jagoffs as well and use the same method as you do...use another car as a buffer or shield. We'll have to set up a time for a cigar next time you are downtown...some great cigar places that I visit.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #51
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagaspete View Post

Vulcan 900
Sazuki 800
Honda 750

Pete, Just picked up a 2007 Vulcan 900. Love it. It's replaced my old, trusted '86 Yamaha Maxim.
the Suzuki C50, which I think is the 800 you're talking about, is it's main competition, they are both great bikes but in the end I preferred the Vulcan.

If you have any questions about the Vulcan let me know and I'll try to help

Last edited by Resipsa; 04-30-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #52
bigpedunn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
bigpedunn is on a distinguished road

Stay safe , we are going on a run today!
bigpedunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #53
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Ditto, should be 40 - 50 of us on a memorial ride today. Clear and warm weather, should be good as long as I don't get re-ended again.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #54
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
If I didn't have a Fatboy, it would be a Suzuki Boulevard in that size.

Nice cruiser in that range and lots of used ones on the market hardley ridden.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #55
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
If I didn't have a Fatboy, it would be a Suzuki Boulevard in that size.

Nice cruiser in that range and lots of used ones on the market hardley ridden.
In that size/style I am a big fan of the Honda VTX.

But for now I will stick to supersport bikes.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #56
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
In that size/style I am a big fan of the Honda VTX.

But for now I will stick to supersport bikes.

Supposedly the VTX 1800 is done for. No more. Honda killed the Valk and the VTX 1800, nothing is allowed to dare impact the sales of the holy grail Goldwing. Problem is, as supior to all other motorcycles as it is, not all want to ride a tupperware motorcycle. I had a VTX 1300, outstanding motorcycle.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #57
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Supposedly the VTX 1800 is done for. No more. Honda killed the Valk and the VTX 1800, nothing is allowed to dare impact the sales of the holy grail Goldwing. Problem is, as supior to all other motorcycles as it is, not all want to ride a tupperware motorcycle. I had a VTX 1300, outstanding motorcycle.
I'm in that club.

Been a week since I've ridden my Harley as it's in for one of those $500 services they recommend every 10k miles.

Also getting all 3 fluids changed that they need opposed to the 1 a metric needs.

Gotten tighten a bunch of stuff as well that rattles loose on those damn hogs.

What was it called agin? A Valk?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #58
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I'm in that club.

Been a week since I've ridden my Harley as it's in for one of those $500 services they recommend every 10k miles.

Also getting all 3 fluids changed that they need opposed to the 1 a metric needs.

Gotten tighten a bunch of stuff as well that rattles loose on those damn hogs.

What was it called agin? A Valk?
Austrian bikes aren't much better. My KTM supermoto has 3 oil filters and you have to 'burp' the frame as well since it carries oil in the head tube. Getting the lower filter cover off the bike is a major p.i.t.a. and can take me 5 minutes or 25 minutes depending how how much of a pest it wants to be. It's a big single cylinder and vibrates like crazy. Emergency zip tie repairs have been knows to happen on several occasions when things vibrate off the bike in the middle on nowhere.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #59
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Austrian bikes aren't much better. My KTM supermoto has 3 oil filters and you have to 'burp' the frame as well since it carries oil in the head tube. Getting the lower filter cover off the bike is a major p.i.t.a. and can take me 5 minutes or 25 minutes depending how how much of a pest it wants to be. It's a big single cylinder and vibrates like crazy. Emergency zip tie repairs have been knows to happen on several occasions when things vibrate off the bike in the middle on nowhere.
But the best part is, if you lay it down chances are as long as your still in good enough shape to get back on it, she'll be A-OK to hop on and continue your ride. Not too many bikes that have that perk.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #60
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

I have crash bars to rest my feet on as well as keep my 850 pound bike off my scrawny frame if I lay it down.