Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #821
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *2009 MLB Thread*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Did anyone watch SNL Saturday? THey had a great A-Rod joke.

"Rumor has it that A-Rod & girlfriend Kate Hudson are pregnant. This will mark the first time that A-Rod has produced in October."

Nice.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #822
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Well, it beats choking in September - or even June, you Met fan.
Thomas continues to RUB it in...throw some salt in there too while you're at it.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #823
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Thomas continues to RUB it in...throw some salt in there too while you're at it.
If the Mets had some health they would have been competitive. No team can over come having just about ever starter go down with injuries.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #824
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If the Mets had some health they would have been competitive. No team can over come having just about ever starter go down with injuries.
I'd like to think that Ryan...but not sure if the pitching would have allowed that to happen this year.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #825
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I'd like to think that Ryan...but not sure if the pitching would have allowed that to happen this year.
With the offense and defense the Mets have I think they will be good next year if healthy. They do need to pick up 1 or 2 pitchers this winter though to help out Johan.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #826
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, it beats choking in September - or even June, you Met fan.
Thing is, regardless of how great his regular season numbers are, if he continues to fail in the post season, he will always have the mantra of choke artist
Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #827
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
I like Pudge. I think he was one of the best all-around catchers in the last 20 years. But that was is was. I don't see him helping Texas much. Could be wrong - we'll see.
Not to get off the A-Rod thing - or the obligatory Met-bashing () - but let's revisit this post of mine from 8/20/09. At the time, some here disagreed with my assessment. One could argue that, since the Rangers were in the thick of things when they acquired Pudge yet ended up out of it, I would be right by default even had he hit like Babe Ruth. Well, he didn't. In 28 games Pudge got 98 ABs and only 24 hits - 8 doubles and merely 2 HRs. He knocked in 13 RBIs, got 5 base-on-balls, had 18 Ks, and ended with a middlin' .245 average, a poor .279 OBP, and a crappy .388 slugging percentage.

But hey, if Ivan were even half the player he once was, the Yanks would have resigned him.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #828
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Not to get off the A-Rod thing - or the obligatory Met-bashing () - but let's revisit this post of mine from 8/20/09. At the time, some here disagreed with my assessment. One could argue that, since the Rangers were in the thick of things when they acquired Pudge yet ended up out of it, I would be right by default even had he hit like Babe Ruth. Well, he didn't. In 28 games Pudge got 98 ABs and only 24 hits - 8 doubles and merely 2 HRs. He knocked in 13 RBIs, got 5 base-on-balls, had 18 Ks, and ended with a middlin' .245 average, a poor .279 OBP, and a crappy .388 slugging percentage.

But hey, if Ivan were even half the player he once was, the Yanks would have resigned him.
You also have to remember that Pudge's best years were his steroid years in Texas.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #829
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
I doubt it. Bad pitching and age has caught up with the Mets and I don't see much help coming from within the organization. They gonna need more than two pitchers to compete with the likes of the Phillies and Marlins. Heck, maybe even the Nats with Strasburg coming.

Mets need to dump Minaya, fire Emanuel, get rid of some of the castoffs they picked up, draft better, and start the rebuilding process.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #830
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
I doubt it. Bad pitching and age has caught up with the Mets and I don't see much help coming from within the organization. They gonna need more than two pitchers to compete with the likes of the Phillies and Marlins. Heck, maybe even the Nats with Strasburg coming.

Mets need to dump Minaya, fire Emanuel, get rid of some of the castoffs they picked up, draft better, and start the rebuilding process.
Injuries played a huge part, you need to remember Joe that they were in first place six weeks into the season when Reyes and Delgado went down. I'm not saying the mets don't need help, I know exactly what I'd try to work on if I were Omar (since he is likely not to be fired.)

The Mets need 2 things, first and foremost, a #2 starter and a power hitting First Basemen.

Wow, as I'm writing this post Jeff Wilpon and Omar are Francesa. Anyways I digress.

The Mets need to acquire John Lackey. Adding a solid #2 starter with gritty stuff and pushing everybody down in the rotation, making a Pelf a #3 and hopefully Maine a #4. Not really sure about #5 but Niese, and Nieve both looked good at times and have potential. The bullpen is solid, keep KRod, don't pick up option Putz, make sure to keep Feliciano.

As for the Field; well Catching is a weakness, but livable with Santos, and a veteran backup. I would let Delgado walk, and try anything I could to get Adrian Gonzalez from SD. (Parnell, F-Mart, whatever it takes) Happy with Wright/Reyes/Castillo at 3rd, SS, 2nd as is.

Beltran is the best player on the team and should not be traded even if he wants his contract extension. Francoeur in right is fine, and than in left, they need to get lucky. They need a Bobby Abreau, type signing. A 5 million dollar outfielder whos going to hit .280, drive in 80, score 80, and hit 20 or so homers. With The wagner/delgado/putz money coming off the payroll, I sea no reason why the Mets can't improve in all three areas, and be an 85-90 win team next season.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #831
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Funny, Chris - as a local guy who's listened to the fans and The Fan for decades now, all that seems vaguely familiar. I heard this last year re the Mets. I heard this the year before re the Mets. I heard this the year before that re the Mets. I've heard this nearly every year, and the only thing that's changed has been the names. I won't say the organization hasn't been trying - they've just not had a great deal of success.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #832
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

Bolivar

Quote:
Funny, Chris - as a local guy who's listened to the fans and The Fan for decades now, all that seems vaguely familiar. I heard this last year re the Mets. I heard this the year before re the Mets. I heard this the year before that re the Mets. I've heard this nearly every year, and the only thing that's changed has been the names. I won't say the organization hasn't been trying - they've just not had a great deal of success.
They were one inning away from the World Series 3 years ago, and yes they have folded previously down the stretch, but all things being equal, I think a healthy team, with a few key additions will be very competitive in the NL east next season..
The Yankees trimmed fat off the payroll last year, almost 50 million, and went out and got 3 players, #1 Starter, #2 Starter and an MVP caliber first basemen, which put them over the top. If the Mets do half as well as the Yankees with the 30-40 million they will have left they will be a very good team next season.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #833
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At least they ain't Pittsburgh.
I still love my suckos, but there's an organization that isn't even trying.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #834
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I feel for you, Scott. Other "small-market" teams at least try, and a few - like the Twins - do one amazingly fine job. But the Pirates are, well, the Pitts.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #835
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Which is a shame because the Pirates are producing great your players and then giving them away. They need an ownership that is not afraid to spend money in order to make money. Instead they have greedy onwers who take the free money from the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers & Mets every year and pocket it.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #836
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

Bolivar

Quote:
Which is a shame because the Pirates are producing great your players and then giving them away. They need an ownership that is not afraid to spend money in order to make money. Instead they have greedy onwers who take the free money from the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers & Mets every year and pocket it.
Which is why the NFL system > MLB.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #837
SmokinDuck
Nuts I tell ya.

Trading: (1)
SmokinDuck is on a distinguished road

Twins win!!! Twins win!!! Twins win!!!

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah!!!!!

12 innings. What a game!!

When life hands ya lemons, you make lemonade...then you find someone who has vodka and have a party.
SmokinDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #838
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDuck View Post
Twins win!!! Twins win!!! Twins win!!!

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah!!!!!

12 innings. What a game!!
Now they get to be swept by the Yankees.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #839
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Now they get to be swept by the Yankees.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 AM   #840
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

AWESOME end to a regular season!!