Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #441
Django
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Django
Trading: (1)
HdM
Django is on a distinguished road
Default Re: nice rums?

I don't regularly drink rum (more of a whisky drinker). But had a Zacapa offered to me at the Dutch Big Smoke, and wow that was something else.
I believe it was an XO, not sure though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Okay. Little hard to get it all in one shot - so here is a series. And some bottles are behind other bottles so they are hard to see. This whole area is under construction - walls, floors, ceiling, cabinets, counters etc.
OK, stop showing pictures of your local liquor store (which is apparently specialized in rum) and show your private stash

Last edited by Django; 11-17-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #442
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Okay. Little hard to get it all in one shot - so here is a series. And some bottles are behind other bottles so they are hard to see. This whole area is under construction - walls, floors, ceiling, cabinets, counters etc.

Ron
Sweet Baby Jesus, Ron. I knew from our chats that you had a (ahem) "extensive" collection, but I am in awe.
How many cases of Cruzan rum cream do you have currently?
BTW, I dig that the ZayaGuat has its own shelf.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #443
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:

Ron
BTW, does Alex (Snkbyt) or his rum guzzling dog Soffie know about that stash? For you sake I hope not!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #444
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Damn that is a fine collection of rum. You must have some will power not to go through it all.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #445
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

well I have tried my taste at rum and got a bottle of Barbancourt Rhum 8 year Reserve Speciale.
and have been drinking it on ice not bad had to warm up to it a little but I do like it.
was not expensive but I did not want to put a lot into it if it was not my thing.
since it was my first sipping rum. there is a few other rums in the 30.00 range I will try next
maybe that plantation rum with the straw on it? any suggestions ? thanks a lot
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #446
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Seek out the Barbancourt 15 year old, aged in oak casks.
FAR superior to the 8 year old.
And don't you dare sully it with an ice cube -
this stuff is meant to be sipped neat.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #447
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
. . . any suggestions ? thanks a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post
Seek out the Barbancourt 15 year old, . . .
I agree on the Barbancourt 15. Also try the El Dorado 15 year. Most of the Pyrat rums. Ron Zacapa 23 or XO. Also Ron Matusalem 15 or 18 year.

Drink it like you like it - no good if you don't enjoy it!

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #448
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I was fortunate to try 4 new to me rums today. Ron Centenario Fundacion (I am in love), Diplomatico RE, (yeah, me likey, especially the "Drambuie-ish" finish). Centenario Conmemorativo, (Still very good, but not as good as the other 3), and Ron
Pampero Aniversario. (Great spice and interestingly dry finish.)
Old 11-21-2011, 04:53 AM   #449
RGD.
God Like Status

RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I was fortunate to try 4 new to me rums today. Ron Centenario Fundacion (I am in love), Diplomatico RE, (yeah, me likey, especially the "Drambuie-ish" finish). Centenario Conmemorativo, (Still very good, but not as good as the other 3), and Ron
Pampero Aniversario. (Great spice and interestingly dry finish.)

Nice taste tests! New additions to your stock?

Ron
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #450
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Nice taste tests! New additions to your stock?

Ron
No sir. A good friend of mine went to Mouseworld with his wife, twins, and inlaws and that is what he brought back. I pushed him down the rum slope by introducing him to Zaya last year.

Well. Slight correction, he gave me the remainder of the bottle of Centenario Fundacion as a Christmas present.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #451
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
No sir. A good friend of mine went to Mouseworld with his wife, twins, and inlaws and that is what he brought back. I pushed him down the rum slope by introducing him to Zaya last year.

Well. Slight correction, he gave me the remainder of the bottle of Centenario Fundacion as a Christmas present.
Good deal. I have three of the four - don't have the Ron Centenario Conmemorativo but it's on my list to order some time as they don't sell it locally.

It's always good to lead people to the edge and watch them fall down it. I have a lifelong bourbon/whiskey drinking friend whose liquor cabinet is now 80% rum.

Ron
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #452
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Good deal. I have three of the four - don't have the Ron Centenario Conmemorativo but it's on my list to order some time as they don't sell it locally.

It's always good to lead people to the edge and watch them fall down it. I have a lifelong bourbon/whiskey drinking friend whose liquor cabinet is now 80% rum.

Ron
The funny thing about the conmemorativo is that I think if I had it by itself, with no comparison of the prior 3, I might have a different impression of it. While it paled in contrast to the other three, it may have better qualities than my first tasting. While I think it is in roughly the same price range as the El D 12, I would be hard pressed to choose the RCC over that one.

I would like to take this moment to tell you that I hold your taste in very high esteem.

(and that if I had 80% of your fine collection, I would feel like quite an accomplished rummy.)
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #453
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:

Ron
The funny thing about the conmemorativo is that I think if I had it by itself, with no comparison of the prior 3, I think I may have a different impression of it. While it paled in contrast to the other three, it may have better qualities than my first tasting. While I think it is in roughly the same price range as the El D 12, I would be hard pressed to choose the RCC over that one.

I would like to take this moment to tell you that I hold your taste in very high esteem.

(and that if I had 80% of your fine collection, I would feel like quite an accomplished rummy.)

I need to find a trusted individual who can ship me the RCF or Diplo RE when it is on sale.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #454
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
. . .
Oh I don't know about that - I'm just a guy who you know - likes a sip of rum every now and then -

Quote:
I need to find a trusted individual who can ship me the RCF or Diplo RE when it is on sale.
For stuff that I can't get locally I use Shoppers Vineyard. Their everyday prices beat most and they do have sales/specials. Friend them on Facebook where they post a lot of daily deals and stuff. Pretty sure they ship to your neck of the woods.

Ron
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #455
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I finally got around to trying a nice rum on a cruise this past weekend and really enjoyed it - like way more than I expected. It was Pyrat. I'm normally a scotch and bourbon kind of guy, but this just hit the spot. Is it representative of the types of flavors and consistency of the nicer rums, i.e. Zacapa, Ron Centenario, Zaya, etc.? The Pyrat had a certain honey-like sweetness to it and sort of a syrupy finish. At least that's how I'd describe it now. I should have made a better note of it, but I was throwing a lot of them back at the time
Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #456
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Pyrat isn't bad that's for sure. However yeah if you liked that you'll probably love Zacapa 23 and Zaya. They are both just fantastic. Zacapa 23 is easily my favorite rum.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #457
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
. . . Is it representative of the types of flavors and consistency of the nicer rums, i.e. Zacapa, Ron Centenario, Zaya, etc.? . . .

If you liked the Pyrat - then it only gets better from there!

Enjoy the slide -

Ron
Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #458
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I'm always in the market for another vice - thanks for the feedback, fellas!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #459
RGD.
God Like Status

RUM ALERT

Depaz Blue Cane Rhum Agricole is apparently being discontinued! I haven't had any in a few years (although I do have a bottle on the shelf), but memory tells me that I did enjoy it.

Spirit Journal gave it a 5 star rating. Shoppers Vineyard has it reduced down to $19.99 a bottle. Link HERE

I'm going to put in for 2,3 or 4 bottles myself.

For those who don't know what "Rhum Agricole" is, crash course: Most rum is made from molasses - Rhum Agricole is made from fresh sugar cane and must come from the French West Indies. So when you see Rhum Agricole or Rhum on a bottle - that's what you get.

Ron
Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #460
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
However yeah if you liked that you'll probably love Zacapa 23 and Zaya. They are both just fantastic. Zacapa 23 is easily my favorite rum.
drinking 23 now............have both in the house