Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
Darrell

Default Re: Dippers Unite!!

Tonight I am going to give dipping a chance....

Dipping these mini cookies Danielle made in some ice cold milk.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #22
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Wow Scott- you sound like a veteran.. What are some good dips for a starter? I am totally at a loss for this!
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
Wow Scott- you sound like a veteran.. What are some good dips for a starter? I am totally at a loss for this!
Try Gold River, it's a good starter snuff.
I'll warn you, once you're hooked, it's way harder to quit dipping than to quit smoking. I can sit down cigarettes easy. I'm stuck with snuff for life, I'm afraid. It's nasty.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #24
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, I just don't want to get the collection of brown water bottles strewn about the house like some of my uncles have.. I will never ever touch a cigarette. That's the one tobacco product I wont touch.
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Go ahead....touch it. You know you want to.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #26
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Try Gold River, it's a good starter snuff.
I'll warn you, once you're hooked, it's way harder to quit dipping than to quit smoking. I can sit down cigarettes easy. I'm stuck with snuff for life, I'm afraid. It's nasty.
Gold River...it's been over 30 years since I had any of that. Didn't realize it was still around. That's what got me started.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #27
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Silver Creek too.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #28
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Wish I had a can of Happy Days Raspberry, remember that?
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #29
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Been dipping Copenhagen for almost 35 years.
You've been dipping since you were 7??

I tried redman at 7 yrs old and about lost my lunch. Didn't try anything again till I was 15, and again about lost my lunch (Kentucky Farm twists are wicked).

At 18 I did Copenhagen for a good while. It always passed the time on the away sports trips. I loved it when they came out with Copenhagen long cut and I dipped that for a while. But lately I have been doing the occasional Swedish Snus. No need for a spit cup, and it just feels cleaner.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #30
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
You've been dipping since you were 7??

I tried redman at 7 yrs old and about lost my lunch. Didn't try anything again till I was 15, and again about lost my lunch (Kentucky Farm twists are wicked).

At 18 I did Copenhagen for a good while. It always passed the time on the away sports trips. I loved it when they came out with Copenhagen long cut and I dipped that for a while. But lately I have been doing the occasional Swedish Snus. No need for a spit cup, and it just feels cleaner.
Yep...and all because my mother said "I had better not catch you chewing tobacco". Being the "little hellion" that I was...I had to try it and got hooked very early. I started on Wintergreen Beachnut and moved right into Skoal/Copenhagen. That and all my friends were doing it...so it was "cool". Pennsylvania way I suppose.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #31
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Yep...and all because my mother said "I had better not catch you chewing tobacco". Being the "little hellion" that I was...I had to try it and got hooked very early. I started on Wintergreen Beachnut and moved right into Skoal/Copenhagen. That and all my friends were doing it...so it was "cool". Pennsylvania way I suppose.
Helped ya cling to your guns & religion, didn't it?

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You beat me, Mac. I didn't start till I was 8.
I used to hide my Union Workmen scrap under the bus stop. I just started cause all the older guys and ballplayers did it. I thought it was badass and when I tried scrap, I loved the honey molasses sweetness.
Didn't start chewing snuff till I was in 6th or 7th grade, I suppose. I wanted to chew Copey and couldn't handle it, so I tried Gold River, got stuck, and switched to Copey a short while later.
The old man chewed Skoal, so I switched to that one summer. It really screwed up my face and I couldn't chew for a few days, so I laid off it till I could go slow and get used to it. Couldn't stand to get beat, ya know?
I'm still amazed at how incredibbly addictive it is. My grandpa chewed till he dies, probably put in a good 80 years. My old man still dips, and I imagine he has a good 60 years in. With 35 years, I'm still the baby.
It's a totally gross habit. I love it.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Helped ya cling to your guns & religion, didn't it?
Absolutely. I LOVE God and my guns.
Not so fanatic about my guns as most, though. Haven't got time to get obsessed by them.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Wish I had a can of Happy Days Raspberry, remember that?
I sure do, Greg. They had a couple other flavors, too. We used to gather pop bottles and ride them to the grocery store at the mall to cash them in so we could buy snuff. Snuff was 42 cents a can, and an 8 pack only brought 40 cents, so we'd go back through and steal them and turn them in again. How we never got caught is beyond me.
Then we'd go across the way to the driving range, fill grocery sacks with golf balls we'd gather, and take them to Sky Lodge hill and roll them all down the hill at once.
Didn't get to go to reform school for that stunt, either.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #35
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

Danged kids!

Here's a couple of threads that might be of interest.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=skoal
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=skoal

To give you the Cliff Notes version: if you haven't started, don't. If you have, quit while you can.

The main reason I quit was because it started to really bother me that chew/dip had such a strong hold on me. The other? I'm not paying those blood sucker's $5.00/can. If they would have kept their prices at a more reasonable level, I would have had a harder time quitting. (Skoal was $.25/can when I started.)

BTW, I did instruct my daughter's that, if they ever wheeled me into a care home, I wanted a roll of Skoal under my blankey!

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #36
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
You beat me, Mac. I didn't start till I was 8.
I used to hide my Union Workmen scrap under the bus stop. I just started cause all the older guys and ballplayers did it. I thought it was badass and when I tried scrap, I loved the honey molasses sweetness.
Didn't start chewing snuff till I was in 6th or 7th grade, I suppose. I wanted to chew Copey and couldn't handle it, so I tried Gold River, got stuck, and switched to Copey a short while later.
The old man chewed Skoal, so I switched to that one summer. It really screwed up my face and I couldn't chew for a few days, so I laid off it till I could go slow and get used to it. Couldn't stand to get beat, ya know?
I'm still amazed at how incredibbly addictive it is. My grandpa chewed till he dies, probably put in a good 80 years. My old man still dips, and I imagine he has a good 60 years in. With 35 years, I'm still the baby.
It's a totally gross habit. I love it.
Quote:
I sure do, Greg. They had a couple other flavors, too. We used to gather pop bottles and ride them to the grocery store at the mall to cash them in so we could buy snuff. Snuff was 42 cents a can, and an 8 pack only brought 40 cents, so we'd go back through and steal them and turn them in again. How we never got caught is beyond me.
Then we'd go across the way to the driving range, fill grocery sacks with golf balls we'd gather, and take them to Sky Lodge hill and roll them all down the hill at once.
Didn't get to go to reform school for that stunt, either.
Bringing back so many memories of growing up in Pa right there Scott. And in the winter time, we were "snowballing" cars. I remember collecting the pop bottles and cashing 'em in. Ma & Pop stores like that aren't around like they were when we were growing up...seemed like there was one on every corner. Penny candy, bottled pop, pinball machines. I loved me some Levi Garrett and then Lancaster came out...super sweet!! I can remember hiding my Gold River/Copenhagen in my sock under my jeans so mom wouldn't find it and at night it was under the stairs.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #37
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Bringing back so many memories of growing up in Pa right there Scott. And in the winter time, we were "snowballing" cars. I remember collecting the pop bottles and cashing 'em in. Ma & Pop stores like that aren't around like they were when we were growing up...seemed like there was one on every corner. Penny candy, bottled pop, pinball machines. I loved me some Levi Garrett and then Lancaster came out...super sweet!! I can remember hiding my Gold River/Copenhagen in my sock under my jeans so mom wouldn't find it and at night it was under the stairs.
Damn glad the Army straightened you out....
Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I forgot about hiding my snuff in my sock at school.
I don't forget hauling a milk carton around for a spitter. Most of the teachers were cool with snuff and let us chew in class so we wouldn't spit on the carpet and rub it in. Some would make us swallow it when they caught us, and a few would send us on a three day vacation.
I always hated suspension cause the old man would say "if you can't stand to get smart, you better get used to work" and would make me dig a stump out of the yard, or some other such sh!t. If I got done early, I'd have to dig my freshly backfilled and graded hole out and fill it back in. I learned how to pace myself at a real early age, at least where the old man was concerned. I'm still not very good at it otherwise.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #39
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Damn glad the Army straightened you out....
My mother says the same thing.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #40
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Skoal when out in the woods!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote