Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #21
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spinning or baitcasting reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Thats usually how it goes

Over the years, I have realized that I'm not fishing to catch fish. Something that most people that don't fish will not understand.
Sometime I am sometimes I'm not. As long as I'm not at work it's great. That and in a boat or casting from shore makes a great place to smoke cigars. Thanks for all the input guys.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I picked up the baitcaster two years ago and that is primarily what I fish when I don't have a fly rod in hand. I have since converted two buddies to baitcasters that had never touched them before they saw me fishing mine. Takes a while to learn but the cast control and line pickup are worth it.

Something I like about having my finger right on the line when a fish picks up. It might not actually be more sensitive, but I tell myself it is.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #23
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

I have both baitcasting and spinning reels and I prefer the baitcasters...just easier to handle for me I guess...
Old 04-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Over the years, I have realized that I'm not fishing to catch fish. Something that most people that don't fish will not understand.
That's why they call it "fishing" and not "catching", my brother.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I've never used a baitcaster. I hear you have to know what you're doing before you purchase one. I like to go fishing, but I don't go enough to know much about it as a sport.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #26
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I've never used a baitcaster. I hear you have to know what you're doing before you purchase one. I like to go fishing, but I don't go enough to know much about it as a sport.
Quick Youtube search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBtuWFSJVyw

I'm sure there's better videos.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I always go with spinning gear, Andrew. It's what I grew up with and I'm comfortable with. After thousands of hours fishing (I grew up on a lake and spent my every waking hour in or on the water for lots of years) I just learned to make spinning gear do for me what baitcasters were supposed to do.
That was then, though, and this is now. Baitcasting stuff has come a long, long way since I was a kid. After these two threads, you've got me wanting to try some baitcasting gear again.
It's not a huge investment, give it a shot. You can always sell or gift the gear if it doesn't work out. Plus, you can always go back to spinning gear.
I look forward to seeing the stuff you end up shopping.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
Diesel Kinevel

Quote:
Thats usually how it goes

very true. It is always nice to hook up to some fish but I really don't care too much. I consider myself a diehard angler but I don't get bent out of shape if I don't catch anything.

-Z
Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #29
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

I like and use both, depending on the situation. For most worm and jig fishing, spinnerbait, crankbait, and topwater fishing, I'll go with baitcasting. When fishing light jigs or any other light lures (1/8 oz or less), or grubs, drop shot, or weightless worms, I'll go spinning tackle. Usually drop to the light stuff in all winter fishing, but will still use baitcasting for vertical spooning in winter on the deep stuff.

Baitcasting just takes a little practice if you've not used it before. Birdnesting still happens occasionally even if you've used them for years, unless you have one of the $400+ reels (I don't). You can end up with birdnests off spinning tackle too, if the line gets twisted too badly.

Either way you go, or if with both, enjoy!!! A bad day fishing is still almost always better than a great day at work (unless you sink the boat or something).
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:01 AM   #30
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Well I got this one in 6'6 MH.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...-box.jsp.form1

Now I'm waiting on this to arrive.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...-box.jsp.form1

and of course a few other necessary things
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #31
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Nice ANdrew.......nice!!!

I'm headin' out here in the next few minutes
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #32
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

Nice purchase Andrew but I'd stick to Drop shotting and sell the rest at a yard sale!!!
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #33
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road

Baitcasting bro! The learning curve with those reels is a bit high, but once you get your thumb used to stopping the reel in an oh so gentle way, you'll never go back.

I would definitely practice first. You don't wanna tangle that reel when a fish boil happens right off the side of your boat!
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote