Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default Question for Runners--Garmin Watch

I have come to my favorite place once again for advice. I am getting back into running, and have been running a lot over the last several weeks. I used to be a serious runner in high school, but havent been since. That is not to say I have not stayed fit, just not through a running program. Anyways, I am thinking about getting the Garmin Forerunner 305 w/ heart rate monitor. I have read rave reviews about all over the place, but wanted to get some opinions I trust.

It seems like it would be a great tool in allowing me to run without having to worry about mile markers, as well as allowing me to upload my workouts to my computer. I know there are newer versions out as well, but everything I have read points to the changes are not worth the price increase.

For the record I have a $100 amazon card and the watch is $147, which I think looks like a great deal for the features.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question for Runners--Garmin Watch

When I was able to run...I loved using that watch..Honestly I used the HRM once in a while but never cared much about the info. It is a great gps watch and easy to read. Keep in mind that it's a bit bulky but expected from a gps/hrm.

Last edited by Mugen910; 04-23-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Mugen910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

My wife uses the watch all the time when she is outside and loves it
Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Gonna have to find my wife's and see what hers is.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

It is good stuff. I use to use my wife's all the time. It is very functional, she crushed it in the door of her car after a bike ride(there is a bike function) and it may or may not be done for. I have encouraged her to mail it to Garmin to see if they could repair it....

Anyway, long story short, I think it is a great training tool. I will give it a "Buy"
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies..purchased it today!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Since you already made the purchase, this is a bit late... but because Amazon has a friendly return program, I'd offer this.

If you're strictly running, I'd almost suggest going with the 405 over the 305. You get comparable functionality in a smaller package. The 305 (and its far-superior upgrade 310XT) are really designed for triathlon. On some cases, the 405 bezel can be a pain in the @ss, though.

If you can swing the cost, I'd opt for the 310XT, and if you're going to run, I'd go with the 405. If you are really into using heart rate techniques, then I'd go with the 405CX.

Either way, they are all great pieces of machinery and I know a good number of people who feel the same way. Properly cared for, they can last a while. Abused (or subjected to water for all but the 310XT), you can probably get 2 to 3 years out of them.
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Speaking of triathlons..... In 10 minutes, I am off to do my first sprint tri this year.... Just strapped on m timing chip and am waiting for the wife and small one to finish eating breakfast to drive me down.....

The tri suit is feeling a bit tight..... Not prepared, but it is short enough I think I'll just will myself to a finish.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Speaking of triathlons..... In 10 minutes, I am off to do my first sprint tri this year.... Just strapped on m timing chip and am waiting for the wife and small one to finish eating breakfast to drive me down.....

The tri suit is feeling a bit tight..... Not prepared, but it is short enough I think I'll just will myself to a finish.....
Awesome and good luck! Let us know how it goes.