Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
Cityscape

Default Re: Does anyone have a degree in Management Information Systems (MIS)?

Hey Darrell, new to the site but I thought I would throw my two cents in. Little background; Graduated with a BS in MIS and have been working in the healthcare industry for the past 7 years as a Database Designer for a clinical CRO. I work heavily with our Statisticians, SAS programmers and Data Managers to develop clinical trial databases in Oracle and various EDC tools.

Some things to think about now that you are going the MIS route:
Do you want to be more business or technically focused?
Business related careers deal more with analyst and design such as a System Analyst, Database Designer, Business Analyst, Risk Analyst, System Architects, IT Consultants. Technically focused careers focus more on troubleshooting and helpdesk like a Network Analyst, Network Administrator and DBA.
These are just generalization about some of the jobs you’ll see out there. Job titles vs functions vary company to company.

Which industry would you like to get into? (Financial, Manufacturing, Human Resources, Health Care, etc…)
This will start to define what language you should look into. Oracle, SQL, SAP, etc..
What about certifications?
Great resume/salary booster but you need to know exactly what you want to get certified in. Answer the two questions above and a number of other ones and you got a good base for some certs.

Your degree will get you in door for your first job but from there it will be your discretion what area you specialize in.