Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
sodomanaz

Cool Thinking of joining the ARMY, what do you think?

I'm graduating from UW-Madison, and have a great GPA. I have received a lot of interest from the big ag companies, even getting offers for 2 year post-grad internships from the big 3... but those require relocation and no real commitment from the company (basically, cutbacks = I'm first gone).

My dad was 25 years ARMY. I've always thought about it, but never really put much into the idea until now. Doing something I will be forever proud of, plus continuing in my father's footsteps is a plus. Getting my $30K+ in student loans paid off is also a big plus as well.

I have talked to friends who have come back from Iraq as well as my dad, but not to a recruiter yet... I have to go back to Indonesia this summer, and want to commit after I get back.

Guess I'm just gauging opinion. If you are in the ARMY now, especially if you went through OCS, I would love to hear from you. Normal enlistment too.

Thanks guys. I know there is a lot of military here, and figured this is a great place to get some information!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
leasingthisspace

Default Re: Thinking of joining the ARMY, what do you thin

Someone from the Officer's side of the house will speak up.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

I considered it for a while, but I'm almost positive I wouldn't be accepted due to medical conditions. Don't mean to thread jack =P
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
sodomanaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
I considered it for a while, but I'm almost positive I wouldn't be accepted due to medical conditions. Don't mean to thread jack =P
What medical reasons if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Heart murmur =P, wouldn't be able to lie about it since it can be picked out with just a stethoscope.
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
tobii3

Check with JohnnyKay when he gets back from the herf at imthegoal's.

He was prior enlisted before he was commissioned.

Me? Been a Paratrooper over 20 years now.

Anyone can join the Army....It takes someone special to exit a high performance aircraft, 800 feet in the air, in total darkness....
Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
sodomanaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
Heart murmur =P, wouldn't be able to lie about it since it can be picked out with just a stethoscope.
I had a ferret with that. He was still pretty spunky.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Anyone can join the Army....It takes someone special to exit a high performance aircraft, 800 feet in the air, in total darkness....

I believe the technical term for those people is "****ing Retarded"

I keed, I keed
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Though I am enlisted and USAF, I will say that in light of the current economic strain it might not be such a bad idea. As you said they pay off your student loans but you also mentioned that you would have to relocate if you take a job from the corporation. Well my friend if you are concerned about relocating then you may not want to join the service as I would expect you already know.

One last thought, go to the AF Officer recruiter and see what they have to say. I am glad I joined this branch to say the least.

Whatever you decide best wishes for you.

T
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Don't go Army they don't treat their folks very well. I have first hand knowledge, working with them in Iraq for the last 32 months. Very ego driven branch of the service. Sorry, if I offend anyone here but that's how I see the USA from my side of the fence. They have a hugh problem right now with enlisted & officers going home on leave and not coming back to service. I listened to a Colonel Friday morning describe this problem to his junior officer corp. He wanted them to improve relations and morale with those in his command. He said it's an "epidemic problem throughout the Army". So I think the Army has realized there's a problem from within. Best of luck!

Chris.....

Last edited by marge796; 04-05-2009 at 12:54 AM.
marge796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
zitro_joe
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (16)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
zitro_joe is on a distinguished road

Talk to your Pop's about it. Joining the military is a life altering experience. Public forums for these type questions opens the door for more opinions than facts.

I understand the reasoning for joining the military due to economic difficulties, but it needs to be thought out further than that. Officer/Enlisted; whatever. Talk to people face to face if you can. Recruiters know little, very little about the jobs out there, unless it was the one they came from.

Best of luck.
zitro_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
ABNMP619

Hey Man,
Excellent idea! Tell your Recruiter that you want to be an Officer though. You don't want to be doing lower enlisted crap like sweeping floors and cutting grass. Plus the retirement on the Officer side of the house is awesome. Plus you have Warrant Officers as well. They are like in between an Officer and Enlisted. Wanna fly helicopters? Go Warrant Officer. Want to shoot and kill ****? Go Infantry. I am a Military Policeman in the Army and I LOVE my job. What do you want to do after the military, how long do you want to stay in; have a plan! If you need more advise and guidance feel free to email: daryle.walker@us.army.mil

Good Luck Brother! COME JOIN THE FIGHT!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
Someone from the Officer's side of the house will speak up.
If you really want me to.

May 10th of this year is my 20 year anniversary in the Army Guard, but I did spend a dozen years enlisted in the Infantry before going to the dark side.

I think the Guard is a good way to go if you are hesitant about making the Army a career or not. You get a lot of the financial benefits but also get to work on a military and civilian career at the same time, so your resume grows double. If you like the whole military thing, you can always go active.

The guard also has a new program called "Active First" where you spend a couple years active, then come out into the Guard.

Worth looking into, I think.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It takes someone special to exit a high performance aircraft, 800 feet in the air, in total darkness....
"Special" is definitely the word I'd use.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
Waynegro1

Quote:
Check with JohnnyKay when he gets back from the herf at imthegoal's.

He was prior enlisted before he was commissioned.

Me? Been a Paratrooper over 20 years now.

DOOR!!...HOOAH!!!!
Got my wings (and learned the hard way, how "NOT" to perform a proper PLF) in my beloved Army and never looked back. Jumping to this day...
Jump one thousand
Arch one thousand
Reach one thousand...

They just don't get it. Try it and you'll never look at the sky the same way again.

Last edited by Waynegro1; 04-05-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #16
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I am 44 years old and have never served. I have always regretted that I didn't. But that's just me.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge796 View Post
Don't go Army they don't treat their folks very well. I have first hand knowledge, working with them in Iraq for the last 32 months. Very ego driven branch of the service.
I've worked in Airborne units in and out of Iraq for the past 18 1/2 years.

The problem isn't with the Airborne units - they WANT to be there. The straight leg units who are trying to be all "hooah hooah" are where the egos come in to play.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

The problem isn't with the Airborne units - they WANT to be there. The straight leg units who are trying to be all "hooah hooah" are where the egos come in to play.
The soldiers I am referring too were slated to be training/working with the Iraqi Army. Prior to deploying they found out they were going to be training with civilian police advisors and working with the Iraqi Police service. I don't have to tell you or anyone who's worked with the military in this capacity it has been a nightmare from square one. They call us subject matter experts but they have thrown us out of meetings and planning sessions when they asked for our opinions and we gave them. So my time is nearly done with this adventure, time to start a new chapter of my life. Please don't get me wrong The United States Army has some of the best and brightest and I consider myself very fortunate to have worked with them in this environment. Just two different animals made to live in the same cage and they always won right or wrong.

Chris......
Old 04-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #19
leasingthisspace

Quote:

I am a nasty leg.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
Galaxie_xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitro_joe View Post
Talk to your Pop's about it. Joining the military is a life altering experience. Public forums for these type questions opens the door for more opinions than facts.

I understand the reasoning for joining the military due to economic difficulties, but it needs to be thought out further than that. Officer/Enlisted; whatever. Talk to people face to face if you can. Recruiters know little, very little about the jobs out there, unless it was the one they came from.

Best of luck.
Very good advice. I believe it will give you life experience that no other organization can. Hard work, discipline, and a lot of fun. Some people love it; some people will tell you they hate it but you will get out what you put in. I know, sounds cliche but it is true.

What field are looking to get into? You can probably get good info about different jobs from the variety of military here.

Cheers
Richard