Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #61
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: RH Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Lucky_13 View Post
They both absorb moisture and can maintain RH.
The beads can also emit humidity, not just absorb it. That is crucial during the winter months with a forced-air furnace in much of the U.S..

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #62
Josh_Lucky_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I'm thinking Shilala's beads were definitely made for cigars. One thing I know for sure is....they weren't made for a cat to sh!t in.

I think your missing the point, heartfelt and shilala beads are made solely for cigars. KL is made for cats to sh!t in. What would you trust with thousands of dollars? In the big picture the cost is VERY minimal.

As far as coolers vs desktops, lets not get off topic. I have both for the record.
So you skimp on one but dont the other? Coolers are not made for cigar storage????? flawed logic or close mindedness?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #63
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Josh, in your introductory post you mention that youve only been into cigars for a few months now. Yet you are preaching to members here that have decades of experience (not me mind you), that your method is an appropriate substitute. Perhaps you should consider a bit more experience under your belt before making statements like that to people who know better.

We were all newbies at one time, but some of us had the humility to know we didnt know everything. Just sayin...

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #64
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
So you skimp on one but dont the other? Coolers are not made for cigar storage????? flawed logic or close mindedness?
I'm really trying to be more informative then argumentative. However I'll play your game for a bit.

This topic is about RH and controlling it though not humidors. I don't see why you keep trying to take this off topic.

Humidors have always been made of different materials. Google it. People use walk ins, wooden boxes, they were copper at one point. Vinotemps are also another choice.

I'll tell you what I don't use for a humidor, a litter box. Maybe I should though and not be close minded. I think though for me and my 3 cats they might use my humidor with it's "beads" for another purpose.

Again though my cigars at kept at 64/65 in otherwords the perfect humidity and temperature. So how exactly am I skimping?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #65
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Josh, in your introductory post you mention that youve only been into cigars for a few months now. Yet you are preaching to members here that have decades of experience (not me mind you), that your method is an appropriate substitute. Perhaps you should consider a bit more experience under your belt before making statements like that to people who know better.

We were all newbies at one time, but some of us had the humility to know we didnt know everything. Just sayin...
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #66
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Nothing like bumping a thread, with your first post, after a few months to start talking kitty litter for humidity over proven products that many people use.

Can anyone find Shilala's tests with Heartfelt vs. HCM vs. Kitty Litter?

If I recall, his tests, which are far more in depth than anyone else has probably ever done, he found that not only do they not regulate humidity well, fluctuations are very common and they have no pre-set humidity. Also I believe that the volume needed to be remotely effective was well over 3 times as much.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #67
Josh_Lucky_13

Tom pure KL with distilled water maintains RH all by itself. I will admit to my not believing it either but I did some basic test runs before I committed to it. I didnt just start talking crap about it.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #68
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Im more of a dog person myself.

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #69
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Tom pure KL with distilled water maintains RH all by itself. I will admit to my not believing it either but I did some basic test runs before I committed to it. I didnt just start talking crap about it.

You know what Josh, you wanna use kitty litter, thats fine, knock yourself out. Just dont mooch.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #70
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Im more of a dog person myself.
Really? Get a cat they grow on you. Started off with one and now there is 3. Much fun they are, low maintenance as well.

Quote:
Yeah have your tests been with KL Vs Heartfelt beads Vs Shilala's beads. Please test that.

Explain your testing please. What did you use besides KL?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #71
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

straight from the site for shilala beads

Quote:
Why Can’t I Just Use Kitty Litter?
In order to get the same humidity buffering benefit from kitty litter as from HCM beads, a person would need to use 9 to 14 pounds of kitty litter as compared to one pound of HCM beads. At $50 for a pound of HCM beads and $28 for 14 pounds of kitty litter, it appears at first to be a "value". The problem is, in order for the Kitty litter to work as well as one pound of HCM beads, it needs to be arranged so as to provide 910 square inches of surface area as opposed to 65 square inches of surface area for HCM beads. Are you willing to spare that kind of space in your humidor?

Even at that rate, the kitty litter is far slower reactively than are HCM beads. They can handle the buffering and provide the volume needed, but they take much longer to recover the RH of the conditioned space.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #72
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Nothing like bumping a thread, with your first post, after a few months to start talking kitty litter for humidity over proven products that many people use.

Can anyone find Shilala's tests with Heartfelt vs. HCM vs. Kitty Litter?

If I recall, his tests, which are far more in depth than anyone else has probably ever done, he found that not only do they not regulate humidity well, fluctuations are very common and they have no pre-set humidity. Also I believe that the volume needed to be remotely effective was well over 3 times as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Really? Get a cat they grow on you. Started off with one and now there is 3. Much fun they are, low maintenance as well.

Yeah have your tests been with KL Vs Heartfelt beads Vs Shilala's beads. Please test that.

Explain your testing please. What did you use besides KL?

Lost cause gentlemen, just let it go.

Sorry Bill "Im more of a dog person" is Italian for "I hate cats"

Old 03-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #73
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Sorry Bill "Im more of a dog person" is Italian for "I hate cats"
ill just say it, i hate cats. anti-social, uselessness
Old 03-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #74
Josh_Lucky_13

Quote:

Moe I am a noob and not trying to preach. However as I read this post and how people jumped all over the use of KL which the only thing they could really say is its just something to piss on, kind of annoys me a bit. These people are not using the best of everything out there for their hobby/lifestyle but claim beads are worth the cost. silica is silica for the most part I even explained some of the differences, yet this seems to be a rallying cry for all bead fans. Now I admit to have never used beads. To me does not seem worth it when for a little extra space I get something that works pretty keep like my Tupperdor. I am also not forcing anyone to read or to post to this but now this one thread is very busy which I find a little funny. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and use what they want to use, if someone wants to use beads that is their choice and their money if they want a cheaper alternative KL is there as well as floral foam humidifiers ( are those only for florists?) If asked I will mention KL as a humidification option to anyone since I trust it and it does work.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #75
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Moe I am a noob and not trying to preach. However as I read this post and how people jumped all over the use of KL which the only thing they could really say is its just something to piss on, kind of annoys me a bit. These people are not using the best of everything out there for their hobby/lifestyle but claim beads are worth the cost. silica is silica for the most part I even explained some of the differences, yet this seems to be a rallying cry for all bead fans. Now I admit to have never used beads. To me does not seem worth it when for a little extra space I get something that works pretty keep like my Tupperdor. I am also not forcing anyone to read or to post to this but now this one thread is very busy which I find a little funny. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and use what they want to use, if someone wants to use beads that is their choice and their money if they want a cheaper alternative KL is there as well as floral foam humidifiers ( are those only for florists?) If asked I will mention KL as a humidification option to anyone since I trust it and it does work.
you seem to have missed my post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #76
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
straight from the site for shilala beads

His original post with the testing process and full test results were much more in depth and explained why kitty litter is hardly an effective way to regulate humidity in a confined space because of volume and consistency.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #77
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

my google search didnt lead me to that, so i just used his FAQ
Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #78
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Floral foam doesn't work as well either...except for attracting mold.

I would love to say "I'm done" here, but I doubt it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #79
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Floral foam doesn't work as well either...except for attracting mold.

I would love to say "I'm done" here, but I doubt it.

im constantly having to deal with killing the mold out of the foam in my hydra! Deffinitly not thee best solution for its reservoir
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #80
Josh_Lucky_13

Sorry Devon didn't mean to leave you out there.