Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #41
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: RH Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorestick View Post
I have been having good luck with the KL but I do prefer my cigars in the mid to low 60s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #42
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
do I lay the stockings with the beads in them directly on the wood or in a tupperware dish or something so it doesn't touch the wood directly?
If you're using a Tupperware container for your beads, you really don't need a nylon. Simply lay the beads in the container (the most surface area possible the better) then moisten your beads as you wish. Without a nylon, it's easier to see what % of beads are moist/dry.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #43
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
WTH?????

Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #44
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
WTH?????

I thought one good non-sequitur deserved another.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #45
Josh_Lucky_13

Tyler KL works almost as well as beads for a fraction of the cost. In fact people who have problems with beads not maintaining RH normally switch over to KL. Now beads are not the same as KL because KL is originally designed to be disposable and beads are not. As far as adjusting RH with KL if its too low spray(with a spray bottle) with more distilled. If RH to high add more KL. When I first heard about KL I thought it was a joke or practical joke. Once you try it spending $30.00 more per pound for nearly same effect sounds crazy. There is a draw back to KL tho. You typically need twice the amount of KL than you would use in beads. If you dont have that much room time to invest in another cooler and you wouldn't need to invest in more beads. I dont know why some hate the idea of KL as much as they do.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #46
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Kitty litter may work, but I feel better with a specialized product when trusting a $1000+ investment. $50 is cheap peace of mind to me. But I don't trust hygrometers either.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #47
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Lucky_13 View Post
Tyler KL works almost as well as beads for a fraction of the cost. In fact people who have problems with beads not maintaining RH normally switch over to KL. Now beads are not the same as KL because KL is originally designed to be disposable and beads are not. As far as adjusting RH with KL if its too low spray(with a spray bottle) with more distilled. If RH to high add more KL. When I first heard about KL I thought it was a joke or practical joke. Once you try it spending $30.00 more per pound for nearly same effect sounds crazy. There is a draw back to KL tho. You typically need twice the amount of KL than you would use in beads. If you dont have that much room time to invest in another cooler and you wouldn't need to invest in more beads. I dont know why some hate the idea of KL as much as they do.
In general "we", including myself, hate KL because it's probably not the best idea to go cheap on controlling the humidity of thousands of dollars worth of cigars. Everyone doesn't have a problem spending hundreds and hundreds or even thousands and thousands of dollars on cigars but when it comes down to maintaining them and you need like $60-$90 bucks worth of beads for 1,000 or so cigars.....why go cheap now?

1,000 cigars cost what at least $2,500. So for every $2,500 you spend you need like $60 bucks worth of beads. This seems perfectly reasonable to everyone except a few that use KL.

I've never heard anyone switching from beads to kitty liter.

Also I don't want my cat to get any ideas when I open my coolidor.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #48
Josh_Lucky_13

So do you buy Royal Purple motor oil for you car? This is said to be the best oil out there? Your car is most likely worth more than a couple grand right?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #49
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
So do you buy Royal Purple motor oil for you car? This is said to be the best oil out there? Your car is most likely worth more than a couple grand right?
No my car is a Nissan lease vehicle, they take care of everything for me.

You're comparing oil to oil and something a cat sh!ts in to something made for cigar humidity.

The two have nothing in common.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #50
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The kitty litter debate has been done ad naseum here, Josh. I disagree that KL subtracts and adds humidity with the same effectiveness as beads, but there is a small minority that diasgree with that, so we can just agree to disagree. I will echo Bill's sentiments and say I won't go cheap when it comes to protecting an investment of $1000s of dollars worth of cigars.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #51
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Maybe Royal Purple has some scientific testing to back up that claim? I wouldn't know, but I am doubting the KL people have any regarding cigar humidification.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #52
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I use Mobil1, and Shilala beads

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #53
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
no we are arguing this...

we use beads(of various brands) to maintain out cigars, some agrue to use KL(which is for cat piss and poop). which can work but is for a completely different application...

now sure royal purple is the "best" but it is still motor oil. I dont use vegetable oil in my car cuz its cheap and still a type of oil. i use my own preferred brand of motor oil(i use mobil1 synthetic) Cuz its designed for its use...
Old 03-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #54
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I use Mobil1, and Shilala beads
The beads are for your car though right? and you use the mobil for the humidor correct?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #55
Josh_Lucky_13

Quote:
No my car is a Nissan lease vehicle, they take care of the everything for me.

You're comparing oil to oil and something a cat sh!ts in to something made for cigar humidity.

The two have nothing in common.
No what I am trying to do is compare oil to silica beads. Now cheap gas station $0.99 oil does not stand up to $10 royal purple. Yet they both work! The difference between your beads and my KL is virtually the same except for some minor differences. http://talasonline.com/photos/instru...a_gel_info.pdf

Beads where not made for cigars. Neither was KL. Now the biggest difference between the 2 I can tell is beads are high density and regular density KL(why you should use twice as much KL than beads). They both absorb moisture and can maintain RH. It is the moisture absorbency property that led to the development of Silica into KL. Now if you did any research most cats do not react positively to silica KL in fact many cats have to be trained to use this over the clay litter out there. So you point of worried your cat will pee on your sticks is pointless.

Coolers in fact where not meant for cigar storage but many use it and it works well. Should everyone dump their coolers full of sticks and all buy a Waxing Moon Humidor since that is acceptable cigar storage? If you dont like KL that is fine, if you use a humidor over a cooler or vice versa that is fine but the way some of you talk about another method seems closed mined and a little off. If you think your sticks are so valuable that only the best will do then I am all for it and Ed make great humidors. KL works as good for RH as a cooler does for cigar storage. They both save $$ to buy more sticks.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #56
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
The beads are for your car though right? and you use the mobil for the humidor correct?
I use both in my cabinet and ONLY the Mobil1 in my desktop.

I find the Mobil1 accelerates the accumulation of Plume and cigar beetles dont seem to like it. It also aids in combustion.

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #57
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
No what I am trying to do is compare oil to silica beads. Now cheap gas station $0.99 oil does not stand up to $10 royal purple. Yet they both work! The difference between your beads and my KL is virtually the same except for some minor differences. http://talasonline.com/photos/instru...a_gel_info.pdf

Beads where not made for cigars. Neither was KL. Now the biggest difference between the 2 I can tell is beads are high density and regular density KL(why you should use twice as much KL than beads). They both absorb moisture and can maintain RH. It is the moisture absorbency property that led to the development of Silica into KL. Now if you did any research most cats do not react positively to silica KL in fact many cats have to be trained to use this over the clay litter out there. So you point of worried your cat will pee on your sticks is pointless.

Coolers in fact where not meant for cigar storage but many use it and it works well. Should everyone dump their coolers full of sticks and all buy a Waxing Moon Humidor since that is acceptable cigar storage? If you dont like KL that is fine, if you use a humidor over a cooler or vice versa that is fine but the way some of you talk about another method seems closed mined and a little off. If you think your sticks are so valuable that only the best will do then I am all for it and Ed make great humidors. KL works as good for RH as a cooler does for cigar storage. They both save $$ to buy more sticks.

Im to lazy to actually respond to what is making me feel _____...but

the beads we use were in fact made specifically for RH control. KL was not made for that. So comparing motor oil to motor oil and a cats toilet to humidification beads doesnt work...

Sure they may be able to accomplish the same thing but also might olive oil in my engine. Im definitely not going to risk possible problems though. Its just not worth it when in the big picture there is a solution that is ment for the exact job i need for cheap
Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #58
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
No what I am trying to do is compare oil to silica beads.
I dont use Silica beads, mine are made of clay. Maybe the inventor (a member here) can chime in one if he invented them for cigars or had other uses in mind.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #59
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
The difference between your beads and my KL is virtually the same except for some minor differences.
Opinions vary, Josh.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #60
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

I'm thinking Shilala's beads were definitely made for cigars. One thing I know for sure is....they weren't made for a cat to sh!t in.

I think your missing the point, heartfelt and shilala beads are made solely for cigars. KL is made for cats to sh!t in. What would you trust with thousands of dollars? In the big picture the cost is VERY minimal.

As far as coolers vs desktops, lets not get off topic. I have both for the record.

EDIT maybe you got bad results from using the wrong humidity beads. You should try heartfelt or Shilala's beads.