Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Humidor/Beads Question

Fellas - got a question...

Posted a thread a couple weeks ago about humidifying a mini cabinet and decided to go with 2 lbs of Heartfelt beads. The beads came in Monday and the humidor came in tonight!

In the past w/ my humidors I've wiped them down with distilled water, let it dry, repeat...usually do that 3x or so. Always been told that lets the water seep into the cedar so it doesn't steal the humidity from the cigars.

Do I need to do this for this new humi, since I'm using beads? Or can I put my smokes in tonight?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Humidor/Beads Question

I would only wipe it down to remove the loose cedar dust. To much moisture could warp the wood. I put 3 plates of distilled water with fresh sponges in them plus my charged beads. Took mine about 4 days to be at 65%, but my cabinet came at 62% Rh.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

There are two schools of thought here Matthew, but I am definitely NOT a fan of wiping down the wood.

I actually filled a glass with several ounces distilled water and brought it to a boil. Then I set the glass in the humidor, on a piece or rubber (or something like a mousepad material) to prevent it from scorching the wood. I closed that up in my cabinet for a while, then added my beads after the water cooled a bit....had my cabinet at a steady 65% within a couple days.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
...I actually filled a glass with several ounces distilled water and brought it to a boil. Then I set the glass in the humidor, on a piece or rubber (or something like a mousepad material) to prevent it from scorching the wood. I closed that up in my cabinet for a while, then added my beads after the water cooled a bit....had my cabinet at a steady 65% within a couple days.
That is a great idea Tom!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

This is what I was hoping to hear! I wanted to load that big bad boy up tonight! With my first few humidors I did the wipe down method and never had any issues; but, on my last humi, the cedar on the bottom must have been thin or either it was just a sheet of cedar, and the water caused it to warp.

This is why I was hesitant to do it with my new humi, plus the first time using the wonder beads, I thought I'd check!

Thanks for chiming in fellas!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There are two schools of thought here Matthew, but I am definitely NOT a fan of wiping down the wood.
+1

I simply leave a bowl of distilled water in an empty humidor for 2 weeks. once the two week has come and gone I then put back my beads and cigars and i'm good to go (my loose cigars go in my cooler for during the process). I've done it twice in 2 years I've owned my humidor and humidity has been steady between 63-67%. If it helps, I have a 150 ct humidor.....which isn't that big.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Shallow plate with a brand new sponge soaked with distilled water works too. Although in cramped areas, you have to make sure that the water/sponge isn't too close to any wood, I had a shelf warp and crack on me due to that.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:

I actually filled a glass with several ounces distilled water and brought it to a boil. Then I set the glass in the humidor, on a piece or rubber (or something like a mousepad material) to prevent it from scorching the wood. I closed that up in my cabinet for a while, then added my beads after the water cooled a bit....had my cabinet at a steady 65% within a couple days.
This is pretty much my routine except replace the glass with a bowl.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

Quote:

This is what I do. I had my Aristocrat ready to go in 2 days (one bowl on each shelf).
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote