Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shilala Beads

I have an extra pound of Shilala's beads on order from Michael.
I needed extra storage after recent events.
I wouldn't use anything else as they are extremely easy to use.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
I have an extra pound of Shilala's beads on order from Michael.
I needed extra storage after recent events.
I wouldn't use anything else as they are extremely easy to use.
LOL... that has been a fun thread to watch
Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowles2 View Post
I am using the 65% beads from Dave so I am thinking they might work in harmony. Or am I just dreaming???
Not in harmony at all, but they will compliment each other. Dave's will dictate the RH in your humi because there's an RH control additive in the beads. Plus you won't be able to change RH.
There's nothing to be harmed, except the care instructions are different for both and you really need to take care of each in their own respective fashion.
You can use the shilala bead instructions to care for both beads, but you can't use Dave's care instructions on the shilala beads.
Does any of that make any sense at all?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for puking up your thread, Clayton!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #25
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I have used both kinds of beads and I have to say the HCM beads perform better and last longer. I have had them in my desktops, my coolers, and my travel humis. If my cabinet didn't have a active humidification device I'd have them in there as well. The reason I say the work better, at least for me, is that I usually keep things around 61-63% and I can adjust them as I see fit. While I just sold some of mine that used to be in my cooler I still use them in my desktop and 2 travel humis.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #26
Morgue

I ordered some Shilala beads about a month ago and finally was able to put them in the new humi this weekend so I cannot comment to their magic as others do, but...

They shipped immediately and were packaged perfectly.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #27
SaltyMcGee
Gone munting...

First Name: Jared
Trading: (3)
SLR
SaltyMcGee will become famous soon enough

Could someone point me to the thread that explains how you can control the RH with these beads? Is it a matter of using more or less water? ME = Stupid, and I haven't found where on the website it explains how to change RH.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #28
Mindflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMcGee View Post
Could someone point me to the thread that explains how you can control the RH with these beads? Is it a matter of using more or less water? ME = Stupid.
First you wave your magic wand and shout out "Expelliramus" and do two 360 degrees spins and curtsy toward your humidor.

Then the magic clay just does it's job at your desired RH.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #29
stewshi
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (23)
stewshi will become famous soon enough

You can just click on the link in Shilala's sig that is 4 posts up it will lead you to the site. Under "About Us" there is a link on the bottom on how to care for your beads. I would post a direct link but still dont know the rules on that here.

Quote:
Could someone point me to the thread that explains how you can control the RH with these beads? Is it a matter of using more or less water? ME = Stupid.
stewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #30
SaltyMcGee
Gone munting...

SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
First you wave your magic wand and shout out "Expelliramus" and do two 360 degrees spins and curtsy toward your humidor.

Then the magic clay just does it's job at your desired RH.

Ah yes, the Potter method. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: I found the part of the site that explains how to change RH
Old 06-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #31
Mindflux

Quote:
Ah yes, the Potter method. Thanks for the heads up!
Well they are magic after all.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #32
Jack1000

To the folks using these: Did you have heartfelt beads before and find this to be better or was this your first go around with beads? I'm using the HF beads in my vinotemp and a a cooler and they work fine, but I find the claims of total RH stability from these intriguing. Might have to give some a try.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #33
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1000 View Post
To the folks using these: Did you have heartfelt beads before and find this to be better or was this your first go around with beads? I'm using the HF beads in my vinotemp and a a cooler and they work fine, but I find the claims of total RH stability from these intriguing. Might have to give some a try.
I've Only Used Scott Shilala's Beads & They Work Great In My Crazy Climate of 100* Temps & 100% RH. I Have Them In 3 Coolidors & 4 Humidors.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #34
SaltyMcGee
Gone munting...

SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1000 View Post
On the flip side of this, I have a set of 65 % heartfelt beads that are having incredible trouble keeping the RH in my cooler below 70%. Is there something I should do with what I have or is my only recourse to buy these new beads?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #35
Mindflux

Quote:
On the flip side of this, I have a set of 65 % heartfelt beads that are having incredible trouble keeping the RH in my cooler below 70%. Is there something I should do with what I have or is my only recourse to buy these new beads?

You could try drying out the beads a bit.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #36
SaltyMcGee
Gone munting...

SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
You could try drying out the beads a bit.
Is the best method to put them in the fridge for awhile?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #37
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Are you sure they are 65%RH beads? Did they ever hold at 65%?

Test them in a container with a hygrometer. Accidents happen, maybe you were shipped the wrong ones.

Another possibility is that something in there is very wet, could be some cigars (some vendors and retailers tend to ship stuff wet), or it could even be the wood of a box that is too moist, and since coolers don't breathe much, it's going to stay that way until you get what ever it is a bit dryer. If the ambient humidity where you live is lower than 65%, then you can just leave the lid open for a few hours or even a day or so, all depends how wet the problem causer is and how dry the weather is where you live and/or you can also try drying out all of the HF beads with a hair drier, then put them in the cooler - at which point, they will work like a desiccant and pull moisture from the air until they either become saturated or the air drops to 65%.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #38
Mindflux

Quote:
Is the best method to put them in the fridge for awhile?
Probably not a bad way to go. Whatever's gonna remove moisture from them.

Your beads should be about 70% clear, if they are any wetter that could be part of your humidity problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
SaltyMcGee
Gone munting...

SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Are you sure they are 65%RH beads? Did they ever hold at 65%?

Test them in a container with a hygrometer. Accidents happen, maybe you were shipped the wrong ones.

Another possibility is that something in there is very wet, could be some cigars (some vendors and retailers tend to ship stuff wet), or it could even be the wood of a box that is too moist, and since coolers don't breath much, it's going to stay that way until you get what ever it is a bit dryer. If the ambient humidity where you live is lower than 65%, then you can just leave the lid open for a few hours or even a day or so, all depends how wet the problem causer is and how dry the weather is where you live. You can also try drying out all of the HF beads with a hair drier, then put them in the cooler - at which point, they will work like a dessicant and pull moisture from the air until they either become saturated or the air drops to 65%.
Yes they are definitely 65%. The hair dryer idea is a great one!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #40
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Not in harmony at all, but they will compliment each other. Dave's will dictate the RH in your humi because there's an RH control additive in the beads. Plus you won't be able to change RH.
There's nothing to be harmed, except the care instructions are different for both and you really need to take care of each in their own respective fashion.
You can use the shilala bead instructions to care for both beads, but you can't use Dave's care instructions on the shilala beads.
Does any of that make any sense at all?
Yes it does make sense. Thanks for the replies. Next month when I can afford it I think I will buy 1.5 lbs of the shilala beads and see which I like better. It looks like some people could use the feedback of the direct comparison.