Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #281
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread

Guys, I have a question on this super glue gel/sticking frags thing.
Can I apply the glue to the frag and then stick it in the water and onto the rock or do I have to take the rock out, dry it a little and apply it?
I was hoping I could do the whole deal underwater, but if not I can remove some water and pull the rock and do it right.
Should I place the rock in a bucket (with the water I've removed from the tank) and let it cure a little bit?
If I do it that way, should I throw the water away that I used to cure the glue?
Never used super glue gel ever, let alone to glue frags.
Thanks!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #282
BC-Axeman

I use epoxy stick. Cut off a piece, squish it a bit, mold like putty, put back in tank. I'm curious about the super glue.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #283
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I will make an instructional video and post it on youtube tonight. The easiest way is to take the grad out and put it in a tupperware with enough water to cover it. Then take out the rock you want to glue it onto (dont take out big pieces of LR).

Another way with the superglue GEL (absloutly MUST be the GEL kind) put about the size of a small marble of super glue on the bottom of the frag the quickly place the frag where you want it i your tank. press firmly against the rock and twist back and forth.
Reason for this is when the super glue GEL hits the SW it forms a skin or layer on the top of it and by rotating the frag the skin breaks and lets the glue underneath adhere to the rock.

let me know if this helps. I am big into fragging.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #284
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I will make an instructional video and post it on youtube tonight. The easiest way is to take the grad out and put it in a tupperware with enough water to cover it. Then take out the rock you want to glue it onto (dont take out big pieces of LR).

Another way with the superglue GEL (absloutly MUST be the GEL kind) put about the size of a small marble of super glue on the bottom of the frag the quickly place the frag where you want it i your tank. press firmly against the rock and twist back and forth.
Reason for this is when the super glue GEL hits the SW it forms a skin or layer on the top of it and by rotating the frag the skin breaks and lets the glue underneath adhere to the rock.

let me know if this helps. I am big into fragging.
That helps HUGE. Thank You!!!
I imagined it just like you said, I'm gonna go give it a try.
I got super glue gel. I have tons of super glue but never used the gel. That's why I figured I better ask before I kill all my fish with it.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #285
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I use epoxy stick. Cut off a piece, squish it a bit, mold like putty, put back in tank. I'm curious about the super glue.
I've used it. It sucks.
If the rock that the frag is on is not big enough then I can't work the putty up around the edge to hold it.
It doesn't "stick", it just hardens. For little frags it's worthless. For big frags it's worked pretty good. I just had a big frag fall off that's been stuck for a month, so I'm done with epoxy altogether. I'm gonna see how the gel does.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #286
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That helps HUGE. Thank You!!!
I imagined it just like you said, I'm gonna go give it a try.
I got super glue gel. I have tons of super glue but never used the gel. That's why I figured I better ask before I kill all my fish with it.
Not a problem. Glad I could help. :-D
Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #287
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Not a problem. Glad I could help. :-D
It worked great. I stuck the two frags to surfaces that were all uneven and they stuck with no problems at all. If they're still where I put them after the snails come out tonight, I'll be a super glue gel believer.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #288
BC-Axeman

I've heard of using it on softies like shrooms, which I always put someplace they will just settle.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #289
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

lol The super glue gel is the only thing I have ever used. Its a wonderful thing.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #290
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Just playing with photoshop and merging pictures together. in this one picture I actually took 4 then spliced them together. What do you think.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #291
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

It looks really good.
You gotta get that purple stuff to grow.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #292
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

My tank is growing mostly green coraline. The LR is only ~6 months old itll be a while.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #293
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
My tank is growing mostly green coraline. The LR is only ~6 months old itll be a while.
What the heck is green coralline? I get a bunch of green algae that grows on the glass and all over stuff that doesn't have any purple coralline, but the purple eventually displaces it.
I used to get a lot of that brown algae, but it was because of my lights. With the new t5's little of the brown stuff grows, usually none at all.
I never heard of green coalline though. I thought it was just algae.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #294
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

coraline algae can come in many colors from green to white to purple. the majority of mine if green. Look at the overflow chamber those green circles are actually green coraline that is growing. I wish it was purple!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #295
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
coraline algae can come in many colors from green to white to purple. the majority of mine if green. Look at the overflow chamber those green circles are actually green coraline that is growing. I wish it was purple!
I have seen it in various colors while red is prominent, with white being a far second and so on.

Simple rule I always followed. If you can wipe it off or brush it off or if you can get it to partially dissipate in the water via a brush, coraline it is certainly not. If it doesn't even budge, coraline it is.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #296
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Just remembered one of my posts on here regarding the B-11's.
Power just went out not too long ago for about 3 minutes or so.
Nothing to fear.
The second it went out, my B-11's kicked on.
When it was restored, they went off.
I never even budged.
That is the bet $10 x's 2 that I have ever put in that tank.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #297
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Carlos, I got my B-11 today. I need to get a hunk of tubing because they only sent about a foot. I'm pleased with the quality, I'm going to be glad I got it, I'm sure.
Thanks for letting us know about them!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #298
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Carlos, I got my B-11 today. I need to get a hunk of tubing because they only sent about a foot. I'm pleased with the quality, I'm going to be glad I got it, I'm sure.
Thanks for letting us know about them!!!
Yeah, forgot to mention that "tubing" thing.
I have no clue who they made that for as it is so short indeed.
I bought my own tubing and cut it to the length I needed for my tank.
Also, forgot to mention.
Pick up some spare air stones.
Get the package that brings a half dozen or so as cheaper that way.
You will need them as in time, they clog due to algae build up and need replacement.
Best thing you ever bought for your tank.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #299
BC-Axeman

I was picking anemones this morning and this worm volunteered to cycle out of the tank:

It was scrunched up to about two inches in the photo. It could stretch out to about six inches.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #300
fissure
DHC Black Ops

First Name: Steve
Trading: (48)
Partagas
fissure has disabled reputation

That's just a baby Wait till you find one the size of your pinkie finger, and scrunched up it is 8 inches long. Threw that one in my sump downstairs.
fissure is offline   Reply With Quote