Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Mirrorlure7m
Twitter: @Mirrorlure7m

First Name: Joel
Trading: (9)
Mirrorlure7m is on a distinguished road
Default Private Cigar Club question ?

Well I just noticed a thread talking about how much a local cigar shop charged for a membership to there private lounge. Well my question is what are the prices your local cigar shops charge ? Names of cigar shops does not need to be said.
Our local shop charges 25 a month .
I was at a place this week where it is 2500 dollars a year.

PS. I just posted this on another forum just want to see the differences from state to state.
Mirrorlure7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Private Cigar Club question ?

There may be some Private Cigar Clubs in the area... but all of the local cigar shops that allow smoking (in compliance with stricter smoking laws) have free smoking lounges here in the Research Triangle Area of North Carolina.

You could build a nice smoking deck on your house for $2500. My porch works year 'round - and free works well for me.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I bought a 20 dollar Padron at a smoke shop in Annapolis MD and was told I couldn't use his lounge.You had to be a member and/or pay a fee.
I promptly got my money back and asked for the next closest shop.It was there I bought the same cigar and enjoyed it.
25 a month(300 p/year isn't bad at all depending what you get,if anything.
There are clubs around here that are thousands of dollars per year.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

I would never patronize a shop that charged me to smoke there.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantim0 View Post
I would never patronize a shop that charged me to smoke there.
I don't think I would either.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I can't imagine spending even $300 a year for a place to park my butt to smoke a cigar. Just isn't in the budget. In fact - I'd prolly be more interested in spending $300 a year if I had it to smoke in my shed with Barry, Mac, Tbone, Bo, etc with the rakes, lawn mower, and tools. We have some pretty decent Thurs. nights in the shed - hand bombing each other and chillin to the tunes. No "ettiquite" to observe except to have a good time.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
I can't imagine spending even $300 a year for a place to park my butt to smoke a cigar. Just isn't in the budget. In fact - I'd prolly be more interested in spending $300 a year if I had it to smoke in my shed with Barry, Mac, Tbone, Bo, etc with the rakes, lawn mower, and tools. We have some pretty decent Thurs. nights in the shed - hand bombing each other and chillin to the tunes. No "ettiquite" to observe except to have a good time.
Well spoken Mike!! Nothing beats a Thursday Night VCM Southern Crew Shed Herf!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Dark Jester

Not sure if any of the ones around me charge. I think only 1 of them actually has a lounge but I haven't asked about or tried smoking in there yet.

I could see charging if it comes with perks, Complimentary beverages and such. Maybe a cigar of the month type complimentary cigar pack or something. Unless they are serving up some primo cognac or high end wine, I can't ever see the justification of $2500 a year.

If they're charging me just to park my butt and light up, I think I would stop patronizing that establishment too. I'll take my $300 / year and go buy a box of something nice from another shop.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

The closest and newest cigar lounge to me costs $2 per year but for that you get use of the lounge and a membership card that stacks up points for everything you buy so eventually you get some discounted items...plus they have a beer and wine bar...worth it to me...
Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
The closest and newest cigar lounge to me costs $2 per year but for that you get use of the lounge and a membership card that stacks up points for everything you buy so eventually you get some discounted items...plus they have a beer and wine bar...worth it to me...
Yeah, that's not bad at all. I'd consider it for maybe even $25 / year at that point. Long as there is a potential perk other than just a chair to keep my ass warm. I like the purchase tracking on the card for potential discounts thing. Kindof like a Subway sandwich card, buy 10 get 1 free.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Would indeed depend on how close it was, the cost, and what you got for the money. Depending on the previous, I would happily spend a couple hundred a year for a nice cigar shop/lounge. But much beyond that is getting quite iffy.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
kgraybill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
kgraybill is on a distinguished road

I don't know if any places around here charge. The guys at the local shop encourage you to smoke with them and he always has a great bunch of people in his place.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

There is a shop by me that has "public" smoking areas around the shop. The public area has seating for about 12-15 with a TV, leather seats. On the other side of the building is a private area with seating for about 40+, with 1= 120" TV and 2 48"s. It has not opened up just yet, but had open house on it this weekend. It goes for about $2000 a year with 24hour access, $100 in free cigars, personal humidified lockers, free beer (which everyone walking into the B&M gets), and you can bring in a guest once or twice a week. OR about $1200 a year; all as above except no free smokes, and limited guest privilages. I smoked in there during the open house, it was nice and chill.

Its a good bit too steep for me to come up with all at once. One of the operators of it is a "smoking buddy" and I went to college with. I am not gonna cross the line and even think of asking for a deal, I'll just smoke in the B&M (aka: common folk club).
I wouldn't mind to join, but I am "common folk" and not that a private club is a bad idea (keeps the rif-raff out) but, its just not my cup of tea in the long run for the price.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
leasingthisspace

I am rif-raf.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

Our local B&M is an open house for smoking but if you want a locker they run $300-400 a year depending on the size of the locker
Old 05-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

the only way i'd join one was if i got an rfid card or key so that I could come in and smoke any time I wanted.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #17
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road

Other than a nice place to smoke what do you get for your money? Seems to be crazy where this is going. It seems that it all boils down to restricting the ability to find a nice place to enjoy your cigars with friends. When will we stand up and fight this stupidity? Ever? Just IMHO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I bought a 20 dollar Padron at a smoke shop in Annapolis MD and was told I couldn't use his lounge.You had to be a member and/or pay a fee.
I promptly got my money back and asked for the next closest shop.It was there I bought the same cigar and enjoyed it.
25 a month(300 p/year isn't bad at all depending what you get,if anything.
There are clubs around here that are thousands of dollars per year.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Casa de Montecristo in Countryside IL requires purchases of $250 monthly to use their VIP lounge and have a private cigar locker. It is more than 30 minutes from my house so joining isn't a consideration for me, but at least one of my friends joined...and that gives his friends access to the lounge when they are with him.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #19
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Casa de Montecristo in Countryside IL requires purchases of $250 monthly to use their VIP lounge and have a private cigar locker. It is more than 30 minutes from my house so joining isn't a consideration for me, but at least one of my friends joined...and that gives his friends access to the lounge when they are with him.
I don't think that's really bad. It's a perk for buying a lot of cigars there. They aren't charging an -extra- fee just to use one of their chairs to sit down.

It does effectively forces people to hang out with their own 'class' though. One of the great things about Cigars, and even Cigarettes, is that a Company VP and a Janitor can stand next to each other and have something in common. Two people that normally would not even talk to each other can have a real conversation with each other when smoking. I've witnessed the effect first hand multiple times.

In this case they're keeping the Janitor out of their club cause he can't afford to hang out with them, even though he may enjoy cigars and good company just as much as any of the others.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #20
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

There's a Lounge maybe 1/4 of a mile from my house that charges $5 for a daily membership, or close to $360 a year for annual membership for local residents. This includes a pass to the lounge 24/7 and 2 guest passes (although apparently they give you more when you run out.) I was given a good deal for a summer membership (when I'm home from school) for around $120, but my porch works just fine in the summer and I dont have that kind of money to throw at a membership.