Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Fernando León Family Reserve Corona

Got this yesterday at Cuban Crafters; I waited as long as I could!

This is a recent release. I chose the corona size because it is my favorite in the absence of a lancero; also, the corona was the original size in which this once-proprietary blend was made. I don't know what the retail price is but I found it for around $7.

The wrapper is a rich, medium-brown corojo; smooth and dry, the pre-light aroma is strong and pleasant. The cold draw brings a mild tingle to the tongue, along with what I can only describe a flavor like molasses smells, without the sweetness. Spicy; it intrigues.

The first few draws bring a lot of flavor. In fact, too much to discern anything individual. Kind of muddled, yet not unpleasant at all. Impressions are of pastry, mild spices. None of the tingle from the cold draw.

Toward the middle it picks up strength.The flavors still don't declare themselves, but it is a very pleasant smoke and not diminished by not having one flavor assert itself over others.

The last third is much the same, but some honeyed, spicy sweetness comes in and stays through the end. Definite pastry undertones and a hint of English tea; dry, tannic. A creaminess is present in the background but doesn't coat the palate.

In spite of however long the tobaccos and even the cigar itself might have been aged pre-release, this is a very young cigar. It shows in just a very slight harshness around the edges and in the way no flavor really asserts itself despite some almost-distinctive notes.

I certainly think it can be enjoyed now, but I also think that this is one that will benefit greatly from aging.

Well worth it in every sense.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fernando León Family Reserve Corona

Anyone else had one of these Fernandos?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fernando León Family Reserve Corona

nice looking smoke and nice review
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote