Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough
Default Do you dry box?

I'm just curious if a majority of people find this to be a useful tool. For those that do:

1. How long do you let them sit?
2. How do you plan out your smokes for that time?
3. How long is too long?
4. Are there any risks of completely ruining the cigar?
5. Are there any particular sticks that you've found dry "better" than others?
6. Should the box be completely DRY? As in no humidification source whatsoever?

For those that have tried and don't find it useful:

1. What went wrong?
2. Why do you think it happened?

Just wanting a little more info is all.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you dry box?

No dryboxing for me. I store everything at under 65%. Grab and go! Occasionally will get a tight draw but that is more due to low productions standards at the time the stick was produced.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
WeekendSmoker
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Cohiba
WeekendSmoker is on a distinguished road

It depends on a couple of aspects.
Some cigars seem to do better when dryboxed for a day or so, and I find that certain brands benefit more than others. It also has to do with how humid the enviroment is - in the summer when it tends to be pretty humid here i won't drybox because the humidity usually exceeds that in my humis - 65%ish. Conversly, when it is bonedry in the winter I also won't drybox because cigars dry so fast they they sometimes crack.
I've gotten into the habbit to cut a cigar, check the draw, and if it is tight drybox it for a day. Usually though not always the draw has improved. I don't drybox for more than a day except for when I forget....

WeekendSmoker
Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

I dry box in an old cedar humidor, if the cigar needs it (my Padilla Miami's love sucking in humidity for some reason). Often times I can pull most any cigar out of the humi and it smokes fine.

That being said, where I live is known for being a pretty humid place, heck ambient humidity right now is 61%, so "dry boxing" my cigars isn't that big of a difference from the humidor.

When I do get a wine cooler set up, I may use my dry box more often just so the cigars acclimate from the cold to warm. I'd imagine they'd be spongy if I just took em out and started smoking them in super hot, humid Florida

Last edited by darkleeroy; 08-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.
darkleeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Dryboxed? Not familiar with this. I will say that my mancave has been showing a constant 69 degrees F, and between 68-69% RH. So I have no humidification device in my humi right now (small 20 count humi that came with a credo style humidifier). Is this dryboxing?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Dryboxed? Not familiar with this. I will say that my mancave has been showing a constant 69 degrees F, and between 68-69% RH. So I have no humidification device in my humi right now (small 20 count humi that came with a credo style humidifier). Is this dryboxing?
Almost.

The idea behind dryboxing is take a cigar or two out of your humidor a day or two before you want to smoke them, then place them in an unhumidified cigar box, preferably a wooden one that is at a lower humidity than the humidor and has not seen humidity in awhile so that it the cigar can vent some excess water and the box will absorb it.

I don't like planning that far in advance for a cigar, so I just keep everything between 55% and 60% usually.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleeroy View Post
That being said, where I live is known for being a pretty humid place, heck ambient humidity right now is 61%, so "dry boxing" my cigars, isn't that big of a difference from the humidor.
You could get a desiccant pack and put it in the drybox with the cigar.

Camera stores usually sell tins of desiccant that you can re-use many times, simply by placing them in the oven, or as I prefer to do, on a wire rack then set a 75W photo flood clip light over the top (rest the edges of the hood it on the rack) and turn the light on and just leave it for an hour or two (way cheaper than running an oven, even a toaster oven for that same length of time).
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
No dryboxing for me. I store everything at under 65%. Grab and go! Occasionally will get a tight draw but that is more due to low productions standards at the time the stick was produced.
Ditto. Bob knows stuff.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I will dry box when I find a cigar that has a bad draw. I keep one humidor with a RH of 60% and will leave it in there until the draw improves. Sometimes it works and if it doesn't, I move it to an old wooden cigar box for 1-2 weeks and then I will toss it if still can't be smoked.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I used to, but not so much anymore since lowering the RH in both humis to the 60-62% range. If I plan to smoke something from my cooler (70%,) I may pull it out a day or so in advance and drybox the way that's been described here.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #11
bigliver
Cigarmurai

First Name: Jason
Trading: (9)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
bigliver will become famous soon enough

I've had to drybox newly purchased cigars at times, but that's just because they arrive wet and I couldn't wait to try one. Usually I just let them sit for a week or two to get down around 65. When I do drybox, I take the stick out the night before. The downside is that it completely takes the fun out of picking a cigar for the next evening. More often than not, I won't want that same cigar the next day.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:

I keep my stcicks at 63% - 65%. Perfect burns 99% of the time. I have to be a little carefull in the summer time heat and move them to a cooler room at times, but I can't remember the last time a home stored cigar tunneled or canoed on me. Some plugged stuff lately though from the trees they are rolling in the middle of the cigar though.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
x2....unless it's a CC I buy here in Japan, which tend to be a little wet. But even those I usually just give a week or two in the humi and all is well.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #14
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road

I've actually been thinking I would try this out. Since my humi is pretty steady around 70% and I'm having a hard time lowering it.

I went as far as getting a cheap humi for dryboxing from the devil site... but it turned out to be so D-MN U-LY that now I'm not so sure...
bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I could care less about dry boxing because imo, it taste almost the same. Sometimes I leave a stick laying out on my kitchen counter for a week and guess what? It still taste good! I wouldn't worry too much about dry boxing a cigar unless the humidity runs high in your storage.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

So it would seem the majority of people are not inclined to dry box. That's good. From the sounds of most people having success with humi's, it's a matter of keeping a slightly lower RH. I'm going to have to change mine. I have mine set from 64-66 and I've been having terrible problems lately. I know I need to move my humi, as it sits on an outside wall, and has been very hot in this terrible summer. I'm seeing mold and burn problems on a consistent basis.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
SilverFox

I am not a fan of dryboxing. My logic is pretty simple with regards to why. I don't think that your cigar dries out evenly. It makes sense to me that the portion that is exposed to a dryer environment will lose moisture first. So this means to me that the wrapper will dry out more quickly than the inside.

I know that it would wick moisture from the binder and filler but it seems that in order for the wicking (osmosis?) to occur there would have to be movement from a higher concentration of moisture (binder and filler) to a lower (wrapper) meaning my cigar would not be even in RH...........that then leads to a variance in the burn.

While the difference is likely minimal and probably not noticeable........I would know and even if the difference is only psychological it would still be a difference.

I also store my cigars at 62.5% and find they smoke just nicely there. I don't smoke from my ageing coolers so the higher RH in them is irrelevant.

But then again maybe I am just a little more fastidious than others
Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Perhaps I need to try some aging boxes. Would you suppose that's only needed for a CC?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:

X5
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote