Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #41
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: RevSmoke's Blind reviews

Yes, more reviews are coming - this will be cigar #5.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #42
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Fissure got his review for this cigar to me quite a while back. I am sure he's been looking forward to seeing what others thought

Here's his review.

Cigar #5 has a ring gauge of 46 while being 5.5 inches long.

1. The cigar is very nice looking. Toothy with a nice chocolate brown oily wrapper. Just a few minor veins, and with a little box press to it.

Aesthetics score 3.5

2. It seems kind of light weight with 1 soft spot 1/3 of the way up. Other than that it is well rolled and has a slight smell of earthy cocoa.

Construction Score 3

3. The draw on this cigar is a little loose, but this produces a lot of smoke. Smokes slightly warm, but not an issue. Burns even with a light gray unstable flaky ash.

Post Light Construction Score 3

4. It is medium strength with a slightly sweet earthiness to it. Little bit harsh with some ammonia and then changing to grassy after the first half. Without the ammonia it would be nice and pleasant.

Flavor and Strength Score 2.8

5. The finish is very subtle being a mild earthy/slightly grassy taste.

Aftertaste score 3

6. A nice light earthy woodsy smell to the nose.

Aroma score 3

7. I enjoyed this cigar, minus the ammonia. I would buy a 5'er of these and put them away to see if the ammonia would age out of them. If so it would be a nice mild smoke that I would buy.

Overall score 3.2

8. I would recommend this cigar. It is not horrible with the slight ammonia, and could be great if it would age out of it.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 09-15-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: got rid of it being a "quote"
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #43
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

kgoings had the following to say about this cigar.

1) Aesthetics: Natural in color and the cigar seemed a bit dry, I checked my vino and its rock solid at 68%. 140mm X 45 gauge. A couple of veins not to prominent, very nice construction. 4.5

2) Pre-light Construction: Nice prelight smell of hay Prelight draw is perfect. 4.2

3) Post-light Construction: Good draw, the cigar burned perfectly, ample amounts of smoke. 4.2

4) Flavor and Strength: This was a medium bodied cigar with a rich coating flavor. The flavor consisted of a deep woodsy flavor and a bit of spice in the back of the throat. In the second third the cigar added a bit of leather and some earthy mineral flavors. Nice cigar 4.4

5) Finish/Aftertaste: Wasn't super fond of the finish, it was long and a bit mineral, not bitter but heading in that direction. 3.0

6) Aroma: Good aroma, nothing really distinguishing. 4.0

7) General Comments: Good cigar, not one of my favorites but a good one at that. 4.0

8) Recommendation: Recommended. I am not sure I would buy a box of this cigar but I would give it another try. I would like to give it a try with a nice red wine and see how it changes the flavors.

Over All 4.0
Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #44
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

And lastly, dyieldin's review of #5.

Rev#5
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality 2.1 - 2.9 = fair 3.0 - 3.5 = good 3.5 - 4.5 = excellent 4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar – slightly oily and a kind of smooth, dry and medium color.
Score for aesthetics:*** 4.4

2) Pre-light Construction – there were no soft spots and I found it to be a little tight and somewhat lightweight. It appears to be well rolled and smells like a mixture of hay and grass. Part of the cap is folded over but looks like it will not affect operation of the product.
Score for Pre-light construction: 3.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: This one seems to draw well and pull smoke through on its own and it burns evenly. The ash is light grey and nicely layered, like tree rings, flaky and falls off easily. It is a nice smoky smoke.
Score for post-light construction:4.0

4) Flavor and strength: This is medium bodies smoke that is sometime a bit on the harsh side. It had a haylike taste all the way through that I found unpleasant. It did build in a bit in strength but not flavor or complexity, stayed pretty bland. Had to toss it at a little better than half way.
Score for flavor and strength: 2.9

5) Finish/Aftertaste: The finish was somewhat bitter and grassy with a strong bite that made it harsh to me.
Score for aftertaste: 2.5

6) Aroma: This was not too bad, a good, light and mild grassy that was not all unpleasant given the taste profile was harsh and bitter.
Score for aroma: 2.8

7) General Comments:
Did it remind you of something? Yep, factory rejects #49.
Would you buy them? Nope
Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") – Save your money and pick up a Savoy my friend.
Overall score for the cigar .5

8) Recommendation: This one is not recommended, they are better smokes out there to be had for the same money.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #45
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Cigar # 5 was the La Riqueza #3. As you can see, the reviews ran a wide spectrum on this smoke I am quite surprised.