Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Crush

Default Going on vacation to Dominican. Never smoked cigars before.. need help

Hello,

We're leaving this weekend to go on a vacation to the Dominican Republic at an all inclusive resort. All these resorts have humidors and sell cigars.

These resorts are also VERY.. *VERY* smoker friendly (trust me people are lighting up INSIDE the airport when getting off the plane).

I am an ex cigarette smoker and have quit last year due to a unrelated health scare so I will never smoke ciggs again.

I have never smoked cigars before but can't imagine having the same vacation experience without smoking. If you've ever had Dominican coffee in the morning while smelling the tropical air while having that first morning smoke, then you know what I mean.

I know nothing about buying cigars and don't know what to buy when I'm down there. Here is how I would like to smoke:

-I would like to smoke with MORNING COFFEE! Yum! About a 30-45 min session before heading to the beach. So I guess I might have some cigar left over? Do I need a box to store it in?

-At lunch around 1pm or so, maybe light up again while drinking some diet cola. I don't like alcohol during the day.

-Around 6pm start drinking. I like champagne and beer. However, you can get anything for free at the bar so if there's something I should be drinking to compliment the cigar then please let me know. The alcohol is all Dominican labels.

-I might be smoking just casually walking around just to hold something and play with it.

Is there anything wrong with my plan? Is there something I should know? What can I expect. And what kind of cigars would you recommend I buy. They wont be able to speak English very well there so I need to know before I go down what to buy when I am there. Oh also what tools will I need. Whatever you guys recommend, I'll do. Also do you guys think I should bring cigars back? How would you recommend I buy the cigars? A package? singles?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Going on vacation to Dominican. Never smoked cigars before.. need

Welcome to CA -- you might post an introduction here (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7).

First off, I would not plan on storing/relighting a cigar that you did not finish. You can always buy shorter cigars (like Petite Corona's) so that you can finish in plenty of time. What you don't finish you should toss.

You can drink anything you want with your cigar -- coffee, diet coke, or orange juice -- the whole cigar thing is about enjoying the entire experience, so drink what you like.

A lot of people like a good scotch with cigars; some drink tequila and others beer. Again, pick a favorite drink and explore to see how your cigar enhances the experience. You will find the some cigars go better with some drinks than others. Like fine wine, cigars vary in taste, so you can always find a cigar to fit your needs.

Other than never having smoked a cigar before there's nothing wrong with your plan . Just remember one thing DO NOT INHALE.

You should start out with something mild. There are lots of choices and you can do a search on this forum to find a long list of mild cigars.

You will need a good lighter and a cigar cutter. Get a couple of Bic or Ronson Jetlights to start with and you should be able to pick up a guillotine cutter at any local store. I would get the cutters at home and pick up the lighters there.

Be careful of buying any Cubans, especially if they are a "deal". Often Cuban cigars are counterfitted in these countries. If you want a Cuban, go to the local LCdH (La Casa de Habano) store. They should be able to tell you where the closest LCdH is at the conceirge desk at your resort. If there is no local LCdH ask the concierge for a reputable cigar store -- one that has a good humidor (rather than a glass case ).

Also, I would recommend having a cigar or two before you go -- just to make sure you like it and know what you are doing. There are lots of tutorials on this forum explaning how to cut, light, and smoke a cigar (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5). Check them out.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I agree, smoke a few before you go so you know what you like. Then ask for recommendations here based on your findings. Stop by your local B&M and try a few different brands/wrappers/lengths just so you kind of have an idea of what you like. I personally don't like walking while smoking, I sit down and plan a good hour-hour 30 minutes based on the cigar. I don't want to be stopped early or have to go anywhere. The size of the cigar doesn't have anything to do with the length of time you need to allow.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
jbuck

Shilala is right on. Safe bet on a stick anyArturo Fuente.Mildand lots of flavor. stay away from Cubans. most in D.R are counterfiet. Enjoy your trip. I've been smoking over 40 years and worked for major retailer and I have to say Cigar assylum is a treaure cove of knowledge. Listen to the boys
Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING LABELED "CUBAN" FROM A RESORT, NO MATTER HOW NICE THE RESORT MIGHT BE

I nearly began the process of box/seal inspection just to see if they were legit on my last years trip to the DR. I located just one box of glass top Fake-hibos in the case, and then knew right there I was done.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
don't ever buy anything labeled "cuban" from a resort, no matter how nice the resort might be

i nearly began the process of box/seal inspection just to see if they were legit on my last years trip to the dr. I located just one box of glass top fake-hibos in the case, and then knew right there i was done.

word!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
word!
I hear this alot about Dominican resorts. Alot of counterfeiting going on, be aware.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
php007
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (35)
php007 will become famous soon enough

Having been there before, I recomend buying cigars here in the states and take them with you. All cigars sold in the DR are re-imported back in for resale, since all cigar manufactures have to export all products. If you buy cigars from the resort they will be very expensive.
Also as others have said anything labeled as Cuban is and will be FAKE.

Enjoy your trip.
php007 is offline   Reply With Quote