Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Probably a STUPID question but I'll ask anyway...

Jeremy,
I am going to guess part of it is due to the new marriage, and part of it is because it is part of your job. Take time off, don't worry about smoking them, and at some point in the future I am sure you will come back to them, or you might not. I took seven years off from cigars, and I was glad when I came back to them. Guess I need to bomb you with some Rum.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

As said by M.J I too took up the pipe for this reason. Even with my pipes I go through days or weeks with maybe one or two cigars and a pipe here and there. It is just a phase that all of us fight through. Maybe its our brains giving our palate a chance to relax who knows.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
DonAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Ever wonder why I started smoking Pipes? Exactly this.

You need a few days away from cigars. After that I'm sure you'll feel compelled to relax with one again.
This works well. I find it only takes a couple days and you'll be ready to go back to cigars.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #24
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I prolly average one or maybe two per week. Sometimes more sometimes less, and I used to kinda stress over it. I quit that nonsense and now if I feel like smoking a cigar I do and if I don't I don't worry about it.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #25
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

Yep. "Me Too." I figure I'm just banking rest time on a couple full coolidors.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about

Very interesting read in this thread! Interesting indeed.

I don't wanna change direction too much, but how many folks are affected by the cold season (26 degrees & snowing here now) and smoke MUCH less. I know that I kinda go into winter hibernation only sneeking a smoke over the holidays at my in-laws (they have a heated 4 season's room). Other than that, the "draw" to smoke kinda fades with me.

I think it may be a seasonal connection in my mind...nice weather = nice cigars. Freezing cold = not so much.

M
Old 12-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #27
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
As said by M.J I too took up the pipe for this reason. Even with my pipes I go through days or weeks with maybe one or two cigars and a pipe here and there. It is just a phase that all of us fight through. Maybe its our brains giving our palate a chance to relax who knows.
Not sure where Jeremy is with pipes. He smoked them a good bit in college, cause it extended his budget more than cigars. Also smoked them when he was in Tucson. Not sure if he has smoked pipes much in last year or so. Know he has pipes. Not sure about tobacco, or what he prefers in terms of pipe tobaccos.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #28
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I go through this every once in a while and I would say this is pretty normal. Since I started smoking I have gone through this funk more times than I can remember. It just sucks when the funk comes on during prime smoking season and than when you start wanting to get back in the groove it's friggin' cold out.(May not be a big deal if you smoke in your house.) Sometimes just being overloaded with too many obligations will bring this on too. I know a lot of times I really want a smoke but just can't bring myself to smoke one just because I know I have too much on my plate and if I were to go out and smoke a cigar that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I should simply because I know the whole time I will be thinking about the 30,000 other things I should be doing instead. Long story short I would say your pretty normal and just may be a guy with a lot on your plate right now or just kind of burnt yourself out for the time being. Good luck and I hope to read about how your back in the swing of things again real soon.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #29
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Not sure about tobacco, or what he prefers in terms of pipe tobaccos.
Nording blends I believe.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #30
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road

Honestly, Yes I have!

I came back to my cigar stash and found something wonderful. Some of the cigars that I stopped smoking were just fantastic again. I was a very nice surprise. I have a new found love for the sticks that I once became bored with and have a new love for once again.

Okay you can call me nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Has anyone ever gone through a phase where they really just didn't have a desire to smoke any of their cigars?

I mean, honestly, I know this is a cigar board...

But seriously... for like the past month or two I feel just plain robbed of my desire to smoke anything. I can't figure out why.

I have drastically reduced the amount of cigars that I smoke since taking my new job in April and leaving Cigar Retail behind... but I still smoked probably 1 or 2 a day up until about the middle of October.

Since then I can tell you exactly how many cigars I have smoked... THREE.

I still have the same passion for cigars as I did... I know that... but something... something that I can't identify is holding me back. At times when I would normally have said "Ok, I'll grab a stick and step outside and grill some hamburgers." Or "I'll just step outside and smoke just for the sake of burning one." I find myself thinking "Nah, I can smoke one later." OR "Meh, I'm just not in the mood."

Maybe it some stress from the job. Maybe it's trying to find time to spend with my new bride... I dunno. But It's seriously starting to PISS ME OFF! And now it's 30 degrees outside... and for someone who tolerates cold weather about as well as a sharp stick in the eye... this weather doesn't make it any easier to break out of whatever this FUNK is!

Any advice?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #31
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

I've had this happen to me over the summer. Got sick of what I had, and ended up selling a lot of things that I regret selling (a box of Boris is the kicker, along with $250 in Opus X that I had been planning on aging for a while). Finally started getting back into it in October.

It happens. Just learn from my mistake and just take a break, make sure you keep maintaining your humidor (water for beads, etc.) and eventually you'll come back.
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Just take a break. A couple days, weeks or months. No reason to force things. Enjoy the holidays with family and see if things change after the break.
and Bob ain't stupid.

Never force it, smoking cigars should be sheer pleasure, relaxation, enjoyment. When you are ready, you will know it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #33
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

I think this is a very common phenomenon, and the best cure is, as has already been said, to take a break. The great thing about that is that when you come back, your cigars will be aged
Old 12-06-2010, 02:36 AM   #34
cboor001
Witchdoctor

First Name: Chris
Trading: (2)
HUpmann Army (Active)
cboor001 is on a distinguished road

Tons of great input here, and the common thread is relaxing and letting time take its course. I had a spell like this, and found that after backing off the sticks for a while, they tasted that much better when I came back to them. Don't rush it, and don't sell your entire stash just because you don't desire them right now. You might regret that later. Good Luck!!!
cboor001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 AM   #35
mariogolbee

Here and there. I've been feeling much less of a desire to smoke cigars lately.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #36
whodeeni

Jeremy try smoking in your car/truck on the ride to work or the ride home,
maybe a Change of scenery will do the "trick"! I've found that I can actually smoke more ciigars if I smoke while driving... Not to many days go by where
i don't get to at least smoke "a stick" anymore!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #37
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodeeni View Post
Jeremy try smoking in your car/truck on the ride to work or the ride home,
maybe a Change of scenery will do the "trick"! I've found that I can actually smoke more ciigars if I smoke while driving... Not to many days go by where
i don't get to at least smoke "a stick" anymore!
Won't work. Commutes with his bride. Doubt she'd appreciate him smelling up her car!!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #38
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Jeremy, I am sure something will come along that will get you back in the mood. Just have to wait and see. Thats the beauty of cigars, you dont have to have one. Just look at the aging your sticks are getting while waiting. Always a positive side to everything.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #39
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
First, there are no stupid questions...only stupid people for asking them

Second, I have had this same problem. It comes and goes. A few months off and you'll be back in the saddle again.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #40
jonan

i went through this too, when i first started smoking cigars a few years ago i went crazy...i bought a humidor, 50 cigars, smoked one or two a week, all of the sudden, i didn't buy or smoke a cigar for almost a whole year...

now, i'm about to get another humidor cause my 100 count is overflowing and i smoke one or two a DAY...