Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Zino Platinum Z-Series

Picked up one of the coronas of these at work to try. It was $8($6 for me), so I figured whats the harm if it sucks.

The wrapper on this cigar is very toothy with a couple veins showing up, making it look somewhat "rustic" if you will. The initial draw was just a tad bit tighter than ideal for me, producing some rich earth flavors.

The initial puffs are where this stick meets its downfall. The first 1/4-1/2" of this cigar produces a strong chemical flavor. I almost tossed it from the overpowering flavor of the chemicals, but I forged onward. Eventually the chemical flavors give way to a deep rich woodiness with a touch of light earth. Theres still a light chemical flavor in the aftertaste, but not enough to make me want to stop. The ash is holding firm as I reach the end of the first inch with a nice white peppercorn color. The burn is getting a bit uneven now, but that may be because of the winds we are getting as a cold front passes through. As I finished typing that last sentence I noticed the burn beginning to correct it self in the absence of wind. The chemical flavors have disappeared now at the 1.5" mark.

More of the same as I reach the start of the second third. Some spice is beginning to come into the picture replacing the earth and some of the woodiness. I tried some nose cycling with this off and on, but the chemicals just come right back when you do, so I'd advise against it. The spice subsides leaving the rich wood as the lone flavor entering the final third.

The earthiness begins to make a comeback in the final third and lingers for the remainder of the smoke. The combination of wood and earth produces a kind of mineral flavor for the smoke. Overall it was a fairly mild smoke, maybe on the fuller side of mild.

Final Verdict: This would be an OK smoke had it not had that initial chemical hit, but because it did this cigar gets a 5.5/10 from me. Enough to make it all the way through, but not enough to make me want to try another. I can think of 20 smokes I'd prefer to smoke for the same amount or less money off the top of my head.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote