Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #21
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: DSL help

Turns out that this is one for the "I never heard of that before" files. I purchased a new Dell Laptop from Bestbuy around the same time this all started. Long story short, it's the frigging wifi card in the laptop. Shut down the laptop problem goes away, start the laptop and problem is back. Read up on the wifi card in this laptop and it's crappy. Not only did it make the laptop slow but it also somehow made every other device on the network slow as well. Traded it out for another (same exact one) at bestbuy and guess what? Same thing. Will be going back to bestbuy and getting my money back and get something else. This is the first Dell I have ever purchased and am now scared to ever buy another one.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #22
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Weird indeed. I could understand if a funky wifi card screwed up the laptop, but screwing up the whole system? WTF? Plus I've not heard bad stuff about Dell either. I worked on a lot of their desktops (albeit not over wifi) and they spun like tops.

My laptop experience is limited to HP mainly, and they are . . . eh, meh. They do what I need anyway.

Good luck proceeding further.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #23
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road

wow, that is a new one. Same here with dell, I have never had an issue with one. They usually just die of old age. Same with HP, the one I have from work is,.....meh. Lenovo is ok, long as you get the spyware off, lol.
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #24
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I hear ya guys, but I have spent considerable time today searching and reading forums and evidently the wifi card in these are terrible. Also they are advertised as dual band AC and the majority of them aren't but single band. It's got me a little squeemish about Dell to say the least.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Little update. I called Dell before making the 45 mile trip to Bestbuy hopin they would make it good. I really liked this laptop except the wifi problem. Called and was on hold for 25 minutes. Finally the tech support person comes on and I tell her what the problem is with it being two brand new laptops and they both have the same wifi problem, coupled with the fact that even on Dells customer forums there are tons of people having this same problem. She says we can troubleshoot, and it's at that point that I told her I wasn't going to sit on the phone with them either telling me to do this and change that or either them taking over my computer to do so and still at the end it won't work. The lady tells me that they are not aware of there being a problem or they wouldn't still be selling this laptop. My offer to her was simply this: You can either send me a different wifi card and authorize me to install it without voiding my warranty, or you can send a tech to me to put one in it. She says at that point that they have a workaround for this, then I say you know what never mind, because you already told me that you don't have any awareness of a problem but you have a workaround? I told her if she couldn't do one of the things listed above then I was going to bestbuy and get my money back and never buy another Dell product, she says that is your choice so adios Dell. I just can't believe they would do that over a $30 wifi card. Maybe there are some that would say I was unreasonable but I expect something to work out of the box.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #26
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

That's not at all unreasonable to me.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #27
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Almost decided to get a macbook pro. After looking at prices though, i wonder if anyone here has an insider deal on them because I might have to go on foodstamps after buying one.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #28
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Apple controls the marketing of their products so tightly I have doubts any insider deals exist. But good luck with that.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a second-hand Macbook for my kid and it was still insanely expensive.
Try Latitude stuff at the outlet, Greg. They're business models, Dell's flagship, and VERY reliable.
You may need to be flexible with your wants versus your needs, but you'll do good.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #30
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I bought a second-hand Macbook for my kid and it was still insanely expensive.
Try Latitude stuff at the outlet, Greg. They're business models, Dell's flagship, and VERY reliable.
You may need to be flexible with your wants versus your needs, but you'll do good.
I am pretty much done with Dell Scott. I refuse to spend money with a company that will sell me something that won't work not once but twice and then go through that fiasco of a conversation with tech support, it's obvious they don't need my money.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #31
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Greg, I have a fiend with a used MacBook he's looking to sell. I'll try to get the particulars and PM you the info. Afaik there's nothing wrong with it. It's his daughters and it's just too big for her to carry at college. I do know it's a 17". That's about it.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #32
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Ok, just got info. It's an older unit, 2008, Core 2 duo, 2gig ram. Not sure on HD size. I though it was newer. If you're interested I can get you his email.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #33
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Ok, just got info. It's an older unit, 2008, Core 2 duo, 2gig ram. Not sure on HD size. I though it was newer. If you're interested I can get you his email.
I might could afford one that old, but I don't think I would like a 17 incher. Shoot me the email though and I will see what he's sellling it for.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #34
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Hey Bob, traded emails with your friend and the price was right but I just really don't want a 17 incher. I have ordered a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro with an i7 prcessor, 8 gigs of ram, and a 750 gig hard drive. I am awaiting it's arrival. I have poked around on the internet looking at how they work and actually had a chance to goof around on one yesterday. I don't think I will have a hard time converting at all. I also have an iphone, and an ipad air 2 so the melding of all of them together will probably be cool since they all work together. I think I will stay with Microsoft Office 365 for now as I have a subscription that's paid through 2019. My wife and I are currently using the 1 tb of storage per person to back up our photos and documents to the cloud. I am also going to buy either a Seagate Central or WD My Cloud to take the place of that though. Both of the aforementioned backup drives will automate using Time Machine for backups on the Mac and automate windows backup for he desktop and the wifes laptop, plus have enought room to backup all our photos for several years.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #35
G G
BR549

Bolivar

No one pays me any attention so I am updating this for the fun of it.

I got the macbook and am not sorry. I didn't have too hard of a time transitioning to it. Also the continuity between all three of my devices is great. I also stated above that I have a subscription to office 365 home that is paid until 2019, but already have decided to use Pages, Numbers, and Keynote instead of office since the documents on iCloud drive load faster and looks better as far as the app goes. I will still use One Note for notes since the Apple Notes app isn't no where near as powerful as One Note.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #36
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Glad you like it, and good luck with it into the future.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #37
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Glad you like it, and good luck with it into the future.
Thanks Thomas.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #38
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Does Asus still make solid laptops? I know they are known for quality motherboards, and a few people I know bought laptops from them and have been very satisfied.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #39
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Does Asus still make solid laptops? I know they are known for quality motherboards, and a few people I know bought laptops from them and have been very satisfied.

{edit} I read that you already got another laptop after posting
Old 10-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #40
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Hey Ron, I was considering buying an asus, but kinda changed direction. I have heard good things about them, but have no personal experience with them at all.