Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
nozero

Default A Violinist in the Metro ...

Quote:
A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the seats average $100.00 each.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing some of the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?
As the friend who sent this to me said... "May we always take time to hear the music."
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A Violinist in the Metro ...

very interesting experiment, thanks for the article. When I was in Charleston, SC a week and a half ago I was walking down one of the main tourist streets and there was a man playing the violin and again people hurried past him, not giving him a second thought.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

It was a story in the Washington Post, here's a link to the article which has some video of him playing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401721.html
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

wow, that was a great read. Very cool thanks.
Jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

That was deep. Sometimes we all need to just chill out and enjoy life. That's one of the reasons I smoke cigars. It's truely one of the only times I have to relax.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote