Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Backing up HD movies to an external hardrive

I recently purchased an HD video camera that relies on a flash card for memory.
I want to save the file, in addition to burning a DVD.
On my Mac, on iMovie, it imports it as an "event", which is the raw footage, unedited.
From there, I create a "project", which is the cleaned up movie, with transitions, effects, etc.
From there, I create an iDVD file as result of the final process, allowing me to not only burn the DVD, but also add themes that are very nice, to give it a professional look.

So, I have three files.
I know the evident difference between all three.
One is raw as shot.
One is edited from the raw.
Last one is the final product.

I don't see need for all three and they collectively consume too much space,
So.........which would you save?

I know opinions will vary but that is what I want to hear.
I'm truly tossed.
Wife says keep the original raw one. I say keep the final one as that is what I want to see in the end.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Backing up HD movies to an external hardrive

If it were me, I'd save the original file, because if I were to later discover a transcoding error or other problem in the final output DVD, I can always go back to the original source and remaster. If I've thrown that away, I'm screwed Depending on your transcoding software, image quality can also be lost going from the original file to the DVD output, by throwing away the original file, I've lost my ability to go back and reprocess or examine the source.

It's like shooting still photographs on film at an event. You don't throw the negatives or transparencies away after you've printed the event book or photo album.

Also, if you ever need it for legal reasons, having the raw file available will be of some comfort if the authenticity of the original footage has to be proven along with that it has not been edited or tampered with.

Last edited by T.G; 04-30-2011 at 09:12 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
If it were me, I'd save the original file, because if I were to later discover a transcoding error or other problem in the final output DVD, I can always go back to the original source and remaster. If I've thrown that away, I'm screwed

Also, if you ever need it for legal reasons, having the raw file available will be of some comfort if the authenticity of the original footage has to be proven along with that it has not been edited or tampered with.
I hate it when the wife is right.
Thanks Adam.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I hate it when the wife is right.
Thanks Adam.

You're welcome Carlos.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Tested importing back all three file types and looked at their properties for size.
As would be expected, the original "raw" is the largest, followed by the edited, in spite of added transitions, with the smallest being the finished iDVD file.
Amazing how much space a handful of movies on HD will take.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Storage is cheap. I would buy another drive to keep the originals and keep the final product on a drive you'll actually use.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Storage is cheap. I would buy another drive to keep the originals and keep the final product on a drive you'll actually use.

how many gigs are we talking about? Are you currently storing them on a RAID? There are a ton of online storage options with unlimited storage.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I was gonna just say "the wife is right" which should have been immediately obvious, but I'm glad Adam took time to tell you why.
I do the same with all my pics. I don't need the multiple .psd files that I create along the way, they're just for workflow or "incremental backups". I just need the hard copy and the raw file(s). Usually the final product ("hard copy", beit on disc or paper or whatever) is for someone else and I have no interest or need for it, anyways.
I keep the raws in case someone wants more work done later.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Carlos, watch Staples ads. They have a little 1TB external hdd on sale all the time. It's a Western Digital My Passport Model# WDBABM0010BBK-00. They're cheap, tiny, and super portable (pants pocket portable).
You can back up all your video and pics and throw them in the fire safe. I think they make them in black and white. You can get white ones and stick your Apple stickers on them, and no one would ever know you have something that isn't really an iDrive.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
This.

Storage is very cheap. A quick google shows 2 TB externals can be had for ~$90 bucks.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20
Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This^^^

a 3tb external HDD runs about 130$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-466-_-Product

Or if you are computer savvy you could always add more internal HDD for raw storage. a 5400 RPM HDD runs about 40$ per TB of memory. which is all you would need for basic mass storage.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Well, decided did not want any of the bulkier drives, that also require separate juice.
Went with a 1T Seagate 3.0 USB.
Got a great sale price on it.
Put it to use already.

I figure by the time I fill it and need another, 1T will be like buying bubble gum price wise.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
This^^^

a 3tb external HDD runs about 130$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-466-_-Product

Or if you are computer savvy you could always add more internal HDD for raw storage. a 5400 RPM HDD runs about 40$ per TB of memory. which is all you would need for basic mass storage.
I have a 160G on my MacBook now with 2 RAM that I had upgraded myself from 1.
Thinking of new, larger hardrive and doubling RAM again.
Any suggestions on which will work for hard rive for my 13" black MacBook?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Not sure with a Mac. You just have to make sure which ever one you buy is "Mac" compatible.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I have a 160G on my MacBook now with 2 RAM that I had upgraded myself from 1.
Thinking of new, larger hardrive and doubling RAM again.
Any suggestions on which will work for hard rive for my 13" black MacBook?
These days most drives that have the proper form factor and interface connector should work. You could always check a large mac vendor like macmall or someone to see what they offer for drive upgrades and see what brand and model number they are using.

You can check what your maximum memory capacity, how the banks are installed, the memory type/speed and pricing at www.crucial.com just by going through their system selector.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I'm not sure how old your macbook is, Carlos, but whether or not it will support 3gb of ram is another question you may want to look into. Mind ya, that's a completely unqualified statement because I don't work or build Macs. It just came to mind.

After you check Crucial for your memory, shop newegg, mwave, and ebay. You'll probably do much better price-wise. Crucial is funny. Sometimes they beat everyone, sometimes they're way off the mark. I think they get stuck with high-priced volume, and they have to lose it before they can catch up.

Good deal on the 1TB. You'll be real happy, I love these little buggers. Keep an eye on Staples ads because they go on super-sale a LOT.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Carlos,

Just go to www.macsales.com, best source for anything Apple and all super reliable. Their prices are pretty good as well (although not as aggressive as some sporadic on-sale deals you may find elsewhere). You can easily see what hdd and memory fits your particular model Mac. I just upgraded an older MacBook G, both memory and hdd. Their support people will easily guide you if you have questions.

I am a very recent Mac user, or rather developer, since last month actually. And all I can say is that the first app I installed on the Mac was VLC player (free), simply hate QuickTime and iTunes and their proprietary file BS that most of real world has no use for. No need to convert files, whether music or movies, simply store them on the external hdd and be done with it.

Depending on which Mac laptop you have, replacing an internal hdd may be an issue, or not. Mine was a royal pain as you tend to pay the price for Mac's sleek profile and removing 18 screws or so plus unlatching the keyboard/trackpad/topside was as stupid an effort as it gets (and I can take my HP laptop apart in seconds flat). Bottom lie: google your particular model's hdd/memory upgrade instructions first, if, after reading the instructions, you still feel comfortable doing the job yourself, then go for it.

If you end up buying an external hdd for backup, just turn on Time Machine, it will automatically suck in all the files on your Mac and keep them updated as you go. I created a separate folder on my external hdd to hold music and movies and manually move them over, this way you only have one copy of them and keep your internal hdd uncluttered, but that is up to you, of course, if you want to keep multiples. And yes, this way you can preserve your original file without getting iTunes/Quicktime involved.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Carlos,
As insane as this may sound, look for an Apple retail store near you (There is probably two or three in the Miami area). You can call them and tell them what you want to do and they will quote you a price to go in and replace the hard drive and upgrade the memory. They will probably even do it while you wait.

edit: There is one in Boca Raton.