Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #41
SchizoFilly

Default Re: who's going to the Michael Jackson Memorial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
I have to disagree with you on the younger generation not knowing about his music. Post death, his music is being downloaded like a rash. See http://www.top10songs.com/. M.J. was bigger than just a few hits in the 80s. His dance style, music video breakthroughs and work ethic has impacted many of the modern day pop and r&b entertainers (e.g. Usher and Justin Timberlake just to mention a couple). Much like Elvis... maybe... he did marry into the Elvis family , but I think that's about as far as the connection goes. At the end of the day, will I miss him? Probably not, other than the occasional freak show escapades. But, I truely believe that his music and his influence on today and tomorrow's music will not be forgoten.
You may be right, but I don't spend any time listening to pop or r&b so I don't see his influence spreading throughout the masses of music.

I too am a fan of the freak show he was and hope that he has at last found some peace from his problems, self-inflicted or otherwise.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #42
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I'm not a huge fan of Michael Jackson's music and less of a fan of Michael Jackson, the man. However, raging against him in his death does no one any good. My opinion only, but the greater insult you could hurl would be one of apathetic disinterest.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #43
BC-Axeman

I grew up with his music, from The Jackson 5 on. There was a cartoon series Sat. mornings. I thought "Thriller" was a great album and the MTV videos rocked. We were the same age. That said, he was already seriously weird at the time of "Thriller" and continued to get stranger. I was creeped out by him. He was a schizophrenic narcissist (separated from reality, in love with himself) and with enough money to get away with whatever he wanted and he got lost in it. He deserves NO honor or worship.
May God have mercy on his soul.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #44
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

It just shows how screwed up our country is with prioritizing what's really important and what's not.

This falls into the "outrage category" for me!!!

Chris.....
Old 07-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #45
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a fan of his earlier stuff (Off The Wall) and growing up watching the Jacksons on TV my heart goes out to his family. No man or woman deserves to get "put down" immediately after their death. Michael was definetly different, but so was Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, etc.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #46
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
As long as the funeral doesn't last 3 days like the Late Ronald Reagan. Lets make this quick and get it over with. Mourning will not bring him back. Pay respects and move on remembering the good things. One action does not make a career.

But Ronald Reagan was a great ex-president so the ceremony was a little more tolerable...not some junkie pedophile like MJ(but he was a great singer and dancer THAT"S ALL!)
Old 07-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #47
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
But Ronald Reagan was a great ex-president so the ceremony was a little more tolerable...not some junkie pedophile like MJ(but he was a great singer and dancer THAT"S ALL!)
The difference is that Ronald Reagan was a former President. By tradition, law, and general respect for a former Commander in Chief we the people of the United States are obligated to pay for his internment ceremony. We are not however obligated to pay for any other citizen of the United States other than our Veterans or Public Servants killed in the line of duty.

Seems like LA needs to take a lesson from USDA. The USDA is in the business of promoting anything and everything agriculture. But they have a regulation and policy that we will help everyone but if you cost us extra money the bill will be in the mail.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #48
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge796 View Post
It just shows how screwed up our country is with prioritizing what's really important and what's not.

This falls into the "outrage category" for me!!!

Chris.....
I don't get it. Why such outrage over people wanting to show their last respects to one of their childhood entertainers who died?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #49
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I don't get it. Why such outrage over people wanting to show their last respects to one of their childhood entertainers who died?
Nothing wrong with that but asking that the taxpayers of the area in which the venue is taking place to pay for it is a bit absurd especially considering the fiscal condition of the state at this time. Think about that.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #50
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I Said You Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
You Got To Be Startin' Somethin'
I Said You Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
You Got To Be Startin' Somethin'
It's Too High To Get Over (Yeah, Yeah)
Too Low To Get Under (Yeah, Yeah)
You're Stuck In The Middle (Yeah, Yeah)
And The Pain Is Thunder (Yeah, Yeah)

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #51
tzaddi

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror,
(Man In The Mirror-Oh Yeah!)
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
(Better Change!)
No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
(If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place)
(Take A Look At Yourself And Then Make The Change)
(You Gotta Get It Right, While You Got The Time)
('Cause When You Close Your Heart)
You Can't Close Your . . . Your Mind!
(Then You Close Your . . . Mind!)

Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na, Na Nah………………

Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #52
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Did Michael Jackson die??? Where have I been???
Old 07-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #53
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Nothing wrong with that but asking that the taxpayers of the area in which the venue is taking place to pay for it is a bit absurd especially considering the fiscal condition of the state at this time. Think about that.
^^^ What Scott said ^^^
Old 07-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #54
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Did Michael Jackson die??? Where have I been???
Yes he had a heart attack when he found out "Boyz 2 Men" is not a delivery service.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #55
ade06
Have My Own Room

Trinidad

Quote:
Yes he had a heart attack when he found out "Boyz 2 Men" is not a delivery service.
LOL
Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #56
ade06
Have My Own Room

Trinidad

Quote:
Thought about it. See my earlier post "Didn't I hear that CA was so cash strapped that they are issuing state tax refunds via IOUs???"

But isn't a large part of L.A.'s economy driven by the entertainment business. I'm sure that over the years M.J. (and M.J. related taxes, sales taxes, ticket sales, movie video revenue, etc.) has provided L.A. with more than enough loot to pay for the police to maintain order for his memorial service. I actually think that the concert promoter and Staples Center owner who is hosting the public memorial should pay for it. But, I'm sure the owner will tell the city of L.A. to "just beat it."
Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #57
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Thought about it. See my earlier post "Didn't I hear that CA was so cash strapped that they are issuing state tax refunds via IOUs???"

But isn't a large part of L.A.'s economy driven by the entertainment business. I'm sure that over the years M.J. (and M.J. related taxes, sales taxes, ticket sales, movie video revenue, etc.) has provided L.A. with more than enough loot to pay for the police to maintain order for his memorial service. I actually think that the concert promoter and Staples Center owner who is hosting the public memorial should pay for it. But, I'm sure the owner will tell the city of L.A. to "just beat it."
So the most productive members of our society deserve free services from the government and the rest of us get what? I would have had to pay for police at any funeral I organize, well unless it's an in the line of duty death (god forbid), and so should everyone else. MJ was a private citizen and should die and be buried as one. Unless you die for your country/community the commnity isn't responsible for paying to organize your funeral.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #58
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpedhuez55 View Post
Sorry, just saying what I feel about him.

I have two friends I grew up with who were the victims of pedophiles. .
You know anybody that was accused of being a pedophile as a ripoff scam?

http://sjsandteam.wordpress.com/2009...chael-jackson/
Old 07-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #59
ade06
Have My Own Room

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
So the most productive members of our society deserve free services from the government and the rest of us get what? I would have had to pay for police at any funeral I organize, well unless it's an in the line of duty death (god forbid), and so should everyone else. MJ was a private citizen and should die and be buried as one. Unless you die for your country/community the commnity isn't responsible for paying to organize your funeral.
Agreed, but our country is not founded on what we deserve. A large part of our country (like or not) is based upon the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Unfortunately for the majority of the L.A. community, they will be on the short end of this broom. Lastly, the city of L.A. has seen and will see a huge increase in tax revenue from out of towners who will fly into LAX, stay in the local hotels, eat at the local restaurants and buy souvenirs from the local merchants. Will the increase revenues outweigh the city resources spent? I don't know, but probably.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #60
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Let's not forget that there were thousands of people that showed up who DIDN'T have tickets to the Staples center event. Some form of crowd control is needed for the public. Want to get mad? Get mad at those who showed up without tickets. From all news reports; there were no incidents reported.

I agree with ade06. LA can't complain when an international star passes and causes a commotion. If they don't want that; then don't promote celebrities or have huge venues by which to hold these. Perhaps the planning commision should have voted down Staples center, the Nokia theater, & the like. Can't have it both ways.