Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Kauai or Maui
Kauai 19 51.35%
Maui 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Andyman

Default Kauai or Maui?

Vote and Discuss..
Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kauai or Maui?

I was just on both islands back in late August/early September for my honeymoon. I strongly preferred Kauai. It's much less developed and much more green. If I wanted to go somewhere with beaches and t-shirt shops on every corner I don't have to go all the way to Maui. I can save a few bucks and just go to Cape Cod.

The best hotel in Kauai in my opinion is the Hyatt in Poipu. It's on the dry (as opposed to rainy) side of the island and there are TONS of great restaurants in Poipu. I highly suggest The Beach House for dinner one night if you need to bring your lady to a romantic spot. Make sure you make a reservation and ask for a seating during sunset (maybe 6 PM). It's a bit early for dinner on vacation to do that but you can't beat the view.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

I spent a week in both on my Honeymoon, I give a slight edge to Maui for the nightlife. I would take Kauai in the daytime, but definately Maui at night.

We went to Maui first to have a week of partying, then we went to Kauai to have a week of relaxing!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Maui is nice with great beaches and shopping, but Kauai is more laid back and tropical. I'll always go with laid back and tropical.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
ChicagoWhiteSox

Maui! Parents have been a few times and loved it.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Andyman

Thanks for your replies I look forward to reading them as they come in.

I am not really looking for shopping or nightlife. I can't stand to just sit on the beach, so I like exploring and taking photo safaris.

So snorkling and exploring is more my speed.. I hear the Whale watching this time of year off Maui is cool.

We would be leaving in 3 or 4 weeks..

Thanks guys!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post

I am not really looking for shopping or nightlife. I can't stand to just sit on the beach, so I like exploring and taking photo safaris.

So snorkling and exploring is more my speed.. I hear the Whale watching this time of year off Maui is cool.

Thanks guys!

The whales were supposedly gone when I was in Maui mid-April. We were on a sunset cruise and got within 50 yards of a pod of about 5-7 of them. The high-light of my trip... I got some video clips on my point and shoot digital....it was just amazing!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Fumes
Not So Memorious

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Fumes is on a distinguished road

Kauai's North shore is nothing short of incredible. A couple years ago my wife and I spent two weeks snorkeling near Ha'ena (Tunnels and nearby beaches) and hiking the Kalalau trail. An experience of a lifetime. But it's very quiet -- no nightlife to speak of, but if you want to "get away from it all" this is the place.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post

Thanks guys!
If you enjoy exploring then I would definitely go to Kauai. There are tons of hiking trails, water falls, etc. The first time I went there I went on an ATV tour which was a blast and of course there is also horse back riding, snorkeling, scuba, etc. The only think I saw on Maui to explore was the local Wal-Mart and McDonalds.

To be honest, I was just extremely disappointed with Maui. To me it wasn't much different than going to the Carribean. Kauai is much more unique as a destination and more interesting in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
teotides

The Napali coast is one of the most magnificent places on earth!!! Kalalau valley is completely mind blowing and the nicest hike I've ever been on. Kauai everytime! My
Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

Never been to Kauai Andy but Maui in Feb is very nice. I missed all the ripe mangos in Feb but you could go to to any beach around Lahaina, stick your head in the water and listen to the humpbacks talk!

Dunno how long the whales are mating but in Feb they gang up between Maui and Lanai, see em from a boat or swim and listen.

Plenty of hiking and stuff to do besides walmart?! The drive to Hana from Lahaina can be taken slow but Oheo gulch just past Hana takes some time to hike so head out early or take 2 days.

I'm sure both will not disappoint.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #12
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Plenty of hiking and stuff to do besides walmart?! The drive to Hana from Lahaina can be taken slow but Oheo gulch just past Hana takes some time to hike so head out early or take 2 days.
Jason, I was just trying to say that Maui is overdeveloped and highly commercialized. Next time you take a trip to Hawaii try Kauai. It's like a totally different world.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 AM   #13
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I clicked on the wrong one... I meant to choose Kauai!!! Anyway, to me it is what Hawaii should be... a tropical paradise. Not over developed like South Beach or something.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Never been to Kauai, but I think I would be bored. Visited Oahu, Maui and the Big Island on my honeymoon, and we are going back to Maui for our 5th anniversary this October. There is so much to do in Maui its ridiculous. We stayed at the Four Seasons Maui in Waimea, which I liked so much better than Kaanapali, which is where a lot of the touristy stuff is.

A few of the many things we did in Maui:
Drove up a volcano to watch the sunrise- magnificent
Drove the road to Hana- an adventure
Hiked to the most beautiful waterfall Ive ever seen
Snorkeled at the "fishbowl" a protected cove and it was like swimming in an aquarium
Hiked across lava fields
Relaxed at the beach
Shopped
Ate at some FANTASTIC restaurants.
and also some other "honeymoon" type activities!

I strongly suggest you pick up Maui Revealed www.wizardpub.com, or any of the "revealed" books... they are written by residents, so they give some great tips, secret spots and resturants... and they are usually spot on

Have fun

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I've been to Maui and there are so many things to do, both touristy and laid back. You can choose your own adventure. I'd go back in a hearbeat.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #16
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

I did not vote as I have only been to Maui... For Maui I would recommend staying around Lahina, there is so much to do there! My book recommendation is "Driving & Discovering Hawaii: Maui & Molokai".
Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #17
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I voted Maui, but then again Im partial since Im from there

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #18
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

I've been to Maui three times and Kauai once. I spent a week in Kauai and it was just too much time for me. We were able to do the whole island in about three days. If I could've done it over again, I'd have no problem eliminating Kauai.
I find Kauai to be a bit boring, and know a lot of people who share my opinion. If you;ve never been, I'd suggest the lava flows on the big island (Volcanos National Park) as a must see.

Things to do in Maui, Road to Hana, Haleakala sunrise, hit up a bar in Paia, etc...
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #19
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Hands down Kauai, the secret falls, Fern Grotto, Na Pali Shore, and Waemea Canyon (The Mini Grand Canyon).

Again I will say HANDS DOWN Kauai! Been there 3 times, love it! I prefer to rent a house when I go. Last time I rented a house on the shore on the secluded North shore of the island, I had my own private reef right behind the house...and it was only 3 minutes from Tunnels Beach.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post

Things to do in Maui, Road to Hana, Haleakala sunrise, hit up a bar in Paia, etc...

Go snorkeling in a little place unknown to many called Honolua Bay (past Kapalua). There is no place to park except along the road & no signs. Its a 1/4 mile trek thru natural forest that looks as though time stood still in the Jurassic era. It opens up to this:

Other fun things to do on Maui:

Take a casual stroll thru Wailuku. Its like time stood still and its still in the 1950's. Then take a short drive to Iao Valley and see the natual beauty there.

Bike ride down the Haleakala Crater road.

Go to Makawao to eat creampuffs from the famous Komoda Bakery (family owned since 1916)

In Kahului at the Maui Mall, have some sherbet they call "guri guri" at Tasaka's Guri Guri. Its legendary and only available there (family owned since the 1920's).

Go shopping along the boardwalk in old Lahaina.

Ask any of the locals about a hidden spot called "Twin Falls".

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote