Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
mangwhop
Wayne

First Name: Wayne
Trading: (0)
mangwhop is on a distinguished road
Default JR Cigars

Im on my way to FL from MA and we just hit the half way point in NC. Im seeing all the signs for JR Cigars. Was just wondering if anyone here has been? Do they have good deals?
mangwhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Tyler

Default Re: JR Cigars

Their internet deals are pretty good IMHO. I have bought from them in the past. The only reason I don't now is that I use Cbid and Cigar Auctioneer. They normally have pretty good box prices with free items such as ash trays, lighters, etc.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangwhop View Post
Im on my way to FL from MA and we just hit the half way point in NC. Im seeing all the signs for JR Cigars. Was just wondering if anyone here has been? Do they have good deals?
There are exactly 67 signs from Ocala, Fl to the store in NC...my wife and I counted 'em last year on our way back from Epic III. They have tons of sticks and usually can find a pretty decent deal. Seems that their big deals are on their JR Cigar sticks (the ones they try to compare to their brand name counterpart). You'll be surprised, it's more like a country Walmart than it is a straight cigar shop. The cigar shop is in the middle. Definetly worth a stop.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Which one? There are 3 in NC.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Yepper. As I've only been to the Statesville one (albeit on numerous occasions) I can only help with info on that one.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
The one we stopped off at was the one in Selma, NC...right off I-95.

67 JR Road
Selma, NC 27576
Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Do it. Very nice (CIGAR) store, knowledgeable folks. Couple of the guys are members here. Plus they carry Pepin sticks now.

I think the one @ 70&95 is exit 97.

Edit to say prices not as good as they once were here in NC due to our governess. Also, Smokers Palace in Wilson is a decent little stop if you haven't passed it yet. It's @ 95 & 264 alt. 121 I think.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
sheeper
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Paul
Bolivar
sheeper is on a distinguished road

it's worth a stop. I picked up some nice deals at the one in NJ.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Hope you stopped... I really like the place.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

I'm hoping to make it up to one of the NC locations the next time I visit SC on business
Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Definitely worth a stop. I've only been to the selma shop. They do give you the freebies that are listed on their site. Got a nice leather 3 finger case with a box of Punch Puros.

They have lots of cool other stuff too. Cowboy hats, cheap books and clothing. The best thing I bought was country slab bacon. Haven't seen it on their website lately, but if they have it you should grab some. It doesn't need to be refridgerated so it's a good road trip pick up.

A little off topic, a buddy of mine went to JR and was dismayed that they didn't recognize him as "the guy from Rhode Island that buys ERDMs". It was hard not to laugh at him.

Have a safe trip.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

I wasnt impressed by the selection or prices, but the lounge area was nice, and it is a good way to break up a trip
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
They have lots of cool other stuff too. Cowboy hats, cheap books and clothing. The best thing I bought was country slab bacon. Haven't seen it on their website lately, but if they have it you should grab some. It doesn't need to be refridgerated so it's a good road trip pick up.
Uuummmm....Nothing goes with bacon like a good cigar!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
mangwhop
Wayne

Thanks guys, Ill be stopping on the way back home (next tuesday) sounds like a cool place.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #15
kaelaria
Cigarobsession.com Baby!

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann
kaelaria is on a distinguished road

LOL too funny - I was going to post about this myself! I just got back from a week in NY and was amazed at how many billboards they have! They either shelled out a small fortune or have stock in the billboard company Unfortunately it was the middle of the night both times I passed it I didn't expect it to be a Walmart type place, I thought it was just cigars. Seems they sell just about everything!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
mangwhop
Wayne

Very cool store. Wish they had one up my way. I could of spent a lot of time in that place. Good thing my humidor is full!!

Anyways.. after the Fiancee found me after being in there for about a half hour i ended up with this..

2 power rangers

These will be my first Opus ever... hope there good.

Planning an overnighter in NC soon to shop some more.

Thanks for convincing me to stop everyone!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangwhop View Post
Very cool store. Wish they had one up my way. I could of spent a lot of time in that place. Good thing my humidor is full!!

Anyways.. after the Fiancee found me after being in there for about a half hour i ended up with this..

2 power rangers

These will be my first Opus ever... hope there good.

Planning an overnighter in NC soon to shop some more.

Thanks for convincing me to stop everyone!!!
My first Opus X were found at JRs, glad you enjoyed your stop
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
My first Opus X were found at JRs, glad you enjoyed your stop
I am curious as to when that was, as I can well remember when one could not find any AFs (or for instance Ashton VSGs) at all in JRs. Yet at my last trip to the one here in Whippany I spotted VSGs, and was told Opus was on the way.

Years ago, Lew Rothman explained he would never offer anything for sale unless he had assurance he could obtain enough stock to provide for his customers' wants. So either these are getting easier for him to procure, or Altadis has convinced Lew to modify his policy.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I am curious as to when that was, as I can well remember when one could not find any AFs (or for instance Ashton VSGs) at all in JRs. Yet at my last trip to the one here in Whippany I spotted VSGs, and was told Opus was on the way.

Years ago, Lew Rothman explained he would never offer anything for sale unless he had assurance he could obtain enough stock to provide for his customers' wants. So either these are getting easier for him to procure, or Altadis has convinced Lew to modify his policy.
This was almost 5 years ago or more at at stop at the store in Burlington, NC. I was surprised to see them and they were only sold as singles and two per customer. The best part was they were at MSRP.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
This was almost 5 years ago or more at at stop at the store in Burlington, NC. I was surprised to see them and they were only sold as singles and two per customer. The best part was they were at MSRP.
Interesting. I expected you to say 5 months, not 5 years. Thanks for the reply.