Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Dupont X-Tend gas leak repair

Had to put my X-Tend lighter in storage for 4 years while in south america, wasnt willing to risk customs stealing it. I emptied out the gas first to keep it from getting funky and gunky.
Now i'm trying to fill it up for the first time in 4 years, and it's leaking gas at the fill nozzle. Lights good, runs good, just leaks empty in 30 seconds.
Question of the day -- Has anyone taken these apart before? is that something I shouldnt have too much difficulty repairing myself, or, is the only option to send it in to dupont for servicing?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dupont X-Tend gas leak repair

If it's the seals it might make sense to have the company refurbish it, the cost ranges wildly based on the model and work to be done, I think the last time I checked for my Gold Ligne 2 it was about 200 bucks.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

There are some how to videos on YouTube you could check out. At a minimum, you need some jeweler size tools.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Update: I called dupont's authorized service center in Rhode Island.
They said they don't service the X-tend model (discontinued parts), and offered me to exchange it for a new lighter for $100.
(she also spouted some stuff off about small parts and too hard to service, they just change the whole tank assembly, when they could still get the parts in)

(history note: some years back Dupont discontinued the made in France xtend models and introduced a very similar looking made in China Maxijet model)

Now, I'm rather attached to this lighter, not a new one.
Nothing to lose, out comes the screwdriver...

"small internal parts" uhhhh huhhhhhhh

Turns out the lighter is pretty simple, and not at all small.
unscrewed the leaking valve part, but couldn't get the little valve tube any further apart to directly service the o-ring.

Plan B - squirted some WD40 on the the fill valve nozzle (again, nothing to lose here) and worked it in good. give it time to air out and dry.
then with the nozzle still off the lighter and gripped in a pair of pliers, ran some butane through it to blow it out.

Re-assembled, filled, no more leaking lighter!!
Of course, time will tell wether any of the wd40 gets into the flame nozzle and clogs it, I'm hoping not.
But had nothing to lose. So far, so good!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Nice job, Francis.

That's odd I seem to recall that St. D would fix ANY lighter up to and including manufacturing new individual parts. I suppose they still would if someone had a 20,000 dollar light from 60 years ago and had the money for that type of repair.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Success!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote