Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Me Pick A Vacation, Please.

I've been supposed to figure out a vacation spot for Lisa and I for the last month now. So far I've come up with nothing.
I kind of thought about Hilo, Hawaii and Tahiti, but have no idea why. I don't even know what's there.

I want to go dive. I'd also like something where we can go back-country and see plantations, jungle plants, local culture and cuisine, etc. Lisa absolutely has to have a beach (or boat) and lots of alcohol. Beyond that she doesn't have any input whatsoever besides "You're in charge of the vacation".

I love the Carribean, but any kind of blue-water, jungle cliffs, almost abandoned beach, out-of-the way thing where I could snorkel shallow reefs all day for a week would be perfect. I don't need to dive, I just need to be in the water where there's plenty to see.

Any ideas or links would be awesome. Suggestions outside those parameters would be fine, but if it's not hot and on the ocean, I won't be going. I should qualify "the ocean". Reef or lagoon protected inviting ocean is what I'm after. Our next to last vacation was seven days of "you can't go in the water because it'll kill you". That's not what I'm after. I plan to be in the water every minute I can.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help Me Pick A Vacation, Please.

http://www.tikaye.com/
Old 10-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I would tell you to come to GTMO but there are really only two ways to get here and I don't think you want to do either one.

I have been to Playa del Carman south of cancun and it was beautiful but that was before the diving. If diving is a big concern I would check out the PADI website, they have a list of resorts.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Ocala, Florida from 11-14 November is a good time.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

My brother is over in Indonesia....he just sent some pics from a dive on Nusa Penida

Manta Point Manta ray cleaning station. Looks like a way cool place.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Maui Hawai'i

Plenty of snorkeling, diving to be had if you want to. Road to Hana, Iao Needle, Haleakala for scenery.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Costa Rica
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Bora Bora looks amazing but we'd lose 2 days traveling. It'd probably be good to stay on this side of the planet.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Key West has some fantastic diving near it. I went on a night dive and got to swim with a sea turtle (that thing was frikken HUGE).

Grand Cayman has some good snorkeling. Never tried to do diving while I was down there...didn't feel the need to
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I've been to the Keys a few times, Alex. Got to dive with the turtles, too.
I also got to go nose to nose with a 700 lb. Grouper. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Hawaii trip....lots of turtles.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Many years ago I did research for a surprise vacation for my wife for our 20th anniversary. I was very interested in diving, although had never done it. I settled on Turks and Cacos as it is supposedly a fantastic diving destination. Has something called "the wall" that has a massive drop off that is supposedly very cool. Long story short, my wife got very sick and I had to cancel and we never went, but I'd suggest looking at it. Good luck! Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Scottie, what time of year are you looking to go?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Scottie, what time of year are you looking to go?
Sometime in January, Dom. Probably leave around the 14th.

You guys have great ideas, I'm glad I asked!!!
I'm falling in love with Grand Cayman right now, but I'm going to look into every single suggestion.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Ocala, Florida from 11-14 November is a good time.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I have a lot of thoughts and experience with the places and type of trips you mentioned,
I will put together a PM tonight!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
JackSchwartz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Maui Hawai'i

Plenty of snorkeling, diving to be had if you want to. Road to Hana, Iao Needle, Haleakala for scenery.
I'll second Maui. Was there last February. Did a ton of snorkeling, drove the crazy Road to Hana and watched the sunrise on top of Mount Haleakala.

Not sure when you're planning on going on vacation but if you go to Maui in Feburary that's when the humpback whales go there to give birth. IT IS AWESOME. Whales jumping out of the water everywhere. And don't worry, plenty of alcohol in Maui.
JackSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Scott...Grand Cayman has an Lcdh beautiful beach but seemed $$$$ to stay. I don't think I've seen a single all-inclusive there.

Jamaica I really didn't like...Ocho Rios just not for me. I hear other parts are much nicer.

Mexico I've been to Cozumel about 4 times. Great scuba and snorkel. Never tried an all-inclusive there yet. Tulum...I've stayed at Dreams Tulum. Far away from just about everything. Good food, drinks and people. Beach was so-so and snorkeling right there not so much.
Posted via Mobile Device
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Sometime in January, Dom. Probably leave around the 14th.

You guys have great ideas, I'm glad I asked!!!
I'm falling in love with Grand Cayman right now, but I'm going to look into every single suggestion.
January is prime whale season in Hawai'i.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

A Maui trip sounds awesome, but it's awful big and bustly.
Cayman is smaller and more cozy, or at least they play it that way. The snorkeling there seems to be really decent and I did find some all-inclusives, even if I wasn't very impressed.

Check out this Tahiti page. The big picture on top is the kind of thing that really turns me on. Small, hardly any people, no thoughts about having to drive for miles to go see stuff, that sort of thing.
The pics of Bora Bora just kinda hypnotize me.

The only reason I'm not just jumping on the Bora Bora thing is that it's so far away and it's going to cost us an arm and a leg. I'm sure you guys can tell me something ballpark that will work.