Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: Sous vide

interesting, I've been loosely trying to keep track of the speed of the 4.75gal box, it's about 1.5* per minute.

Last night I did my first attempt at making a meal, chicken cordon bleu. I butterflied the chicken breasts, stuffed with a pepperjack cheese stick wrapped in ham and put in a freezer bag. Cooked for 1.5 hours at 150* (from looking at a few recipes online) then took them out, breaded with an egg wash and pankos seasoned with salt and pepper, then put in a cast iron pan on high with a little olive oil.

The chicken was cooked perfectly, very moist. The cheese inside was melted but not oozing, made for a very easy sear but when you cut it open (forgot to take pictures) it kept its shape. I think it probably could have benefited from being a little more liquidy, but that's probably party due to the type of cheese. The sear was far from perfect, probably because of using bread crumbs and olive oil, but still a very good meal overall.

I picked up some of these ice trays with the goal of saving bacon fat into small easily usable cubes for searing in the future.

I gotta go pick up some bacon this weekend to render the fat out to save (and I suppose eat the bacon, if I must). The plan is to fill the ice tray, put it in the freezer to solidify then transfer to a freezer bag so I always have it on hand. Anybody else try something like this? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I guess I'll find out.