Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
EndTheFed

Default Do you inhale at all?

Hi....newbie here. I've been smoking cigarettes for about 10 years but am just getting into cigars.

When I smoke a cigar I usually inhale slightly on maybe 10 puffs, and don't inhale at all on the rest.

What about you?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you inhale at all?

Not if I can help it. Sometimes I will inhale resting smoke by accident, but never by intention. Taste is in the nose and on the tongue, not in the lungs.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Ender
Ok, maybe just one.

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
Partagas
Ender will become famous soon enoughEnder will become famous soon enough

Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

No inhaling here either but I do have some friends who occasionally smoke cigars who do inhale. To each his own IMO.
Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

Nope. Just tasting and smelling for me.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
Dark Jester

I inhale sometimes, but that's from smoking cigarettes for 15 years. Mostly just a reflex. Hard habit to break.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Not if I can help it, however, my cigarette smoking friends tend to inhale a little smoke on each draw. It's one of the reasons I can't turn them on to better sticks than Macanudos. Everything else is just "too strong" for them.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Not unless it's by accident.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Not if I can help it. I also have friends that have tried and they get sick as hell when they do it. Damn Newbies.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
DougBushBC

I believe the practice you are thinking about is what we call "retrohale" which isn't really an "inhale" but more like allowing the smoke to travel up your throat to your nose. And yes I retrohale maybe a few puffs per cigar just to get the taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMcDOSypco8
Old 06-12-2010, 04:18 AM   #11
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo View Post
Not if I can help it, however, my cigarette smoking friends tend to inhale a little smoke on each draw. It's one of the reasons I can't turn them on to better sticks than Macanudos. Everything else is just "too strong" for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Not if I can help it. I also have friends that have tried and they get sick as hell when they do it. Damn Newbies.
Has to be a pretty strong stick to make me regret it when I do inhale. I might do it 5 or 10 times on the stronger sticks, but on mild sticks it's 2 out of 3 puffs. Never have gotten sick from it. Smoked Marlboro Reds 1 pack per day for 15 years though, so I have a pretty good tolerance built up.

I have to conciously think about not doing it though. If I don't think about it the inhale reflex takes over.

Retrohaling on the other hand burns like hell. Not enough practice doing that yet. Never really exhaled through my nose smoking cigarettes so there's no tolerance built up to it yet. I do it with a full puff from a strong stick and my eyes will water up immediately. That's ok though, something to work on.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #12
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Years ago when I smoked Phillies Titans in college I would inhale... I would prolly drop dead if I tried it now...
Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #13
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I'll inhale anything up to a medium strength. Don Diego is a favorite to inhale.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

If a cigar is particularly good, I'll French inhale some and inhale some. I get different things from both. I'll also draw smoke from each end of the cigar up my nose. I get even more neat stuff like that.
I can definitely "taste" heavy sweet cigars down in my chest, Padron Anni's for instance. It's a pleasant sensation.
The cigar has to be real good for me to do it, because I avoid inhaling purposely.
Lisa smokes flavored cigars, and she inhales them. I give her hell constantly and tell her I'm not giving her anymore cigars if she doesn't cut it out. I don't think good cigars will hurt, but that infused stuff can't possibly be any good for ya. It's like inhaling burning garbage, and I'm not interested in contributing to her death.
Doesn't seem to bother her though, and she never smokes more than one a day. She'll relight one of those stinky sunsa*****es five times over the course of a day, and even spark up a butt from a couple days ago. She's pretty badass. One of the many reasons I love her.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

Hell no.

I quit smoking cigarettes 16 years ago & don't want any part of that misery again. I put off even smoking cigars until a couple of years ago for fear of getting hooked like I was on cigarettes.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #16
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
If a cigar is particularly good, I'll French inhale some and inhale some. I get different things from both. I'll also draw smoke from each end of the cigar up my nose. I get even more neat stuff like that.
I can definitely "taste" heavy sweet cigars down in my chest, Padron Anni's for instance. It's a pleasant sensation.
The cigar has to be real good for me to do it, because I avoid inhaling purposely.
Lisa smokes flavored cigars, and she inhales them. I give her hell constantly and tell her I'm not giving her anymore cigars if she doesn't cut it out. I don't think good cigars will hurt, but that infused stuff can't possibly be any good for ya. It's like inhaling burning garbage, and I'm not interested in contributing to her death.
Doesn't seem to bother her though, and she never smokes more than one a day. She'll relight one of those stinky sunsa*****es five times over the course of a day, and even spark up a butt from a couple days ago. She's pretty badass. One of the many reasons I love her.
That is pretty badass. I've tried going to my stinky ashtray and pulling an old nub out to smoke, but damn those things taste like ass.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #17
darkninja67

No I do not inhale as I like keeping my lungs inside my chest cavity/
Old 06-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #18
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

no, at least not on purpose.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

I used to smoke cigs but I cannot inhale cigars. Aside from the fact that it hurts lke hell and does nothing for me, I have watched several people inhale and on occasion accidentally did it myself. I have noticed that when it is done, very little smoke get exhaled. In contrast to cigs most of the smokes comes back out but with cigars most seems to stay in the lungs....

Course I could just be crazy....
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #20
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Nope... not if I can help it.

If it happens, it is entirely unintentional on my part.