Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Mac and DaBear's LFD NAS vs. LFD Cheroot/Icepick Review

So after realizing that Mac and I both should have one each of both the LFD NAS and Cheroot/Icepick thanks to a bomb I hit him with awhile back, and me getting an NAS from him through the HTF TAW, I figured we could do a review comparison of both of LFD's cheroots just for fun. I'm in the process of doing my reviews as I type this, so I should have my comparison by the end of the evening.

As for some background info on the two, here's what I could dig up/know from the top of my head. Both are regular releases or will be soon.

Cheroot:
As far as I know, the only two ways to get these are to either be at an LFD event and have Litto hand you one of these out of his pocket, or grab one from my workplace, Empire Cigars. Supposedly they're a ligero puro, but from the way they've burned for me, I wonder if there's not a little seco or viso snuck in to help with the burn. And a little fun note: these are in our system as "Hal's Crack Stick" because once you light one up you can't put it down.

NAS:
These are a Pelo de Oro ligero puro. The NAS supposedly means Nasty Azz Sh*t according to Halfwheel, which with some of the names in the business anymore, doesn't surprise me.

And finally, heres a pic I took of em both next to eachother:

DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mac and DaBear's LFD NAS vs. LFD Cheroot/Icepick Review

NAS

I'm not gonna bother with giving a score for appearances on these as they're cheroots, they're supposed to be ugly little sticks. The one thing I do notice with the NAS is how dark a brown it is, at least comparatively to the regular Cheroot. The wrapper does seem a touch less veiny than I'm used to with the Cheroot, but the lumpiness of the filler and binder make up for that.

Initial draws bring a dry woody-nuttiness. This calms down fairly quickly into a subtle leather. There's a strange, almost chemical, spice in the background that has me hoping I'm imagining things. Nothing bad so far, but nothing particularly great either. A nice little smoke that I wouldn't mind smoking, but at least thus far, I'm not gonna be hunting down. The strength stays a solid medium plus through the first third. My only complaint with the first third is the burn, its not uneven, but it likes to go out if you don't keep plugging away at it.

First Third score: 3/5

As I enter the second third, the profile hasn't changed much, but the spice is taking more of a forefront. Its now a nice peppery spice as opposed to the almost chemical first third, the leather really hits on the finish. The strength has definitely begun to pick up a touch, slowly working its way to a medium-full and beyond.

Second third score: 3.5/5

Entering the final third, it stays pretty one dimensional and the strength continues to pick up. Its not my favorite flavor profile, but its not unpleasant. Probably the biggest profile difference is the dryness from the first third is no more. Burn continues to be a problem, but honestly, thats to be expected with a ligero puro. As I'm finishing up, we finally surpass full bodied and I'm starting to get a little buzz from this, which for me is the first in a long while. I get the feeling LFD almost went after strength for strengths sake with these.

Final third score: 3/5

Overall: 3/5

Really the only reason for giving this a bumped score in the middle third was the lack of a burn issue I had in that third, it was enough of a detractor to justify taking off points in the first and final thirds, but wasn't so bad in the middle. The profile wasn't awful, but wasn't great either. It was just a solid one dimensional profile with subtle tweaks here and there. I actually enjoyed the initial puffs a lot and wouldn't have minded that profile showing itself here and there.

Now onto the Cheroot/Icepick.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Cheroot/Icepick

Appearance-wise, the Cheroot is a lighter brown with a wrapper with more veins. Not quite as lumpy as the NAS, but where there are, they're much more pronounced.

The initial puffs bring me nuttiness with a slight spice of the finish. This settles into that profile fairly nicely, with more spice mixed in, though the spice is less of a pepper than with the NAS and more of a cooking spice(like cinnamon). The spice begins to fade by the middle of the first third and the profile settles into a dry nutty, almost woodiness, theres just the faintest touch of sweetness that keeps me saying nutty as opposed to woody. Burn is a touch wavy, but fortunately I can put it down on the ashtray to type a sentence here and there without worrying about it going out on me, like I had with the NAS.

First third score: 4/5

As I get into the second third, more of the same, with a bit of a leather trying to mix its way in. Burn continues to be great, even got up to help a customer and came back to a still lit cigar. Honestly, this is one of the best burns I've had from one of these, normally they're more finnicky. The leather becomes the predominant flavor by the end of the second third with the nuttiness hanging around on the finish with a little spice. Strength has been hanging around medium plus thus far.

Second third score 4.5/5(.5 bump just for the absolute lack of a burn issue in this third)

Entering the final third the profile stays the same with maybe a touch more spice, though that may just be me plugging away at it. Strength has kicked up a touch to medium-full. As I finish there's not much more to add to the profile, maybe finishing a touch drier.

Final third score: 4/5

Overall score: 4/5

While not exactly complex per se, this did have a little flavor progression that was enjoyable. Not to mention, the profile was much more fit to my palate, than the NAS. Frankly, the burn on this particular one was the best I've ever had out of these, so that certainly adds a touch to the score, but for me, unless the burn is completely awful, I try not to look at that as a detriment or addition to a cigar.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Great reviews!

Can't wait to see if Mac does one!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

And now for my overall comparison:

While the two sticks had similar profiles with the nuts and leather, the spices in both were very different and may have been the biggest thing differentiating the two for me. The NAS was a very pepper almost harsh spice to me, while the Cheroot was more of a cinnamon or nutmeg. The thing that was disappointing is I love the Pelo de Oro used in the Small Batches, but in the NAS it just doesn't work as a puro, especially not the ligero. Part of the problem may have been I was going into this thinking the NAS would be a similar stick to the Cheroot(which has always been a solid smoke for me), but it just didn't pan out that way. Bottom line, the NAS is a stick I'll smoke if given, but not one I'd actively seek. The Cheroot will continue to be in my rotation.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine will be smoked next Thursday. Great comparison Bear.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
NAS:
These are a Pelo de Oro ligero puro. The NAS supposedly means Nasty Azz Sh*t according to Halfwheel, which with some of the names in the business anymore, doesn't surprise me.

And finally, heres a pic I took of em both next to eachother:
Awesome!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought it was kind of odd that Litto pays so much attention to uni-dimensional ligero sticks when he creates the most perfect blends in the business.
I finally get it. He loves his ligero.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
badbriar

Excellent Review! Love anything dark in LFD's and the stronger, the better!!! Sounds like a gotta try. Does Empire sell these in 5'ers?
RR
Old 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

The regular Cheroots, yes. We don't carry the NAS. At least not yet(they hit stores next month IIRC for the regular release)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Smoked mine this afternoon...posting pics and completing reviews in a bit.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

LFD Cheroot/"Icepick vs LFD N.A.S.

I started with the Cheroot/"Icepick", and this is my first one of these.

LFD Cheroot Icepick
Appearance-wise, the "Icepick" is a tad lighter and very few veins. Pre-light draw has faint hints of cinnamon.

With the initial puff, I pick up a more pronounced cinnamon and a hint of pepper. I'm really digging this thing. The cinnamon fades towards the middle of the first third and pick up a heavier pepper note. Burn is dead on!!

First third score: 5/5

Second third continues pretty much like the first third, with a tad more pepper. The cinnamon lingers in the background. Picking up a touch, not a lot, of leather. Burn continues to be dead on. Strength is at a medium, great flavors. I'm really digging this thing a ton.

Second third score 5/5

Final third stays right in line with the first two thirds, with a tad more leather. Pepper and cinnamon are still very prominent. Burn continues to be spot on. Strength may have gone medium/full, but not a full face a$$ kicker.

Final third score: 5/5

Overall score: 5/5

This is stick that I need to stock up on. This thing was FANTASTIC!!!

Agree with Bear that these are not complex per se, but WONDERFUL flavors!! I now know why they are called "Crack Sticks".

Last edited by kelmac07; 04-05-2014 at 08:03 PM.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

LFD N.A.S. (Nasty A$$ Sh*t)

This is the third one of these I have smoked. A lot "uglier" than the "Icepick" and a tad darker.

Pre light draw gives me pepper, straight up "in your face" pepper. At first puff, the pepper smacks you right in the face. I recall a couple retrohales having me twitching at the nose. Strength is full on from the get-go. Normally love this, but after enjoying the "Icepick" so much, I want more of that cinnamon spice.

First Third score: 4/5

Nothing has changed at all with the second third, except the spice being a tad stronger.

Second third score: 45/5

Coming into the final third, it is one dimensional and the strength continues to build. Agree with Bear, there's a dryness on the finish that I didn't recognize before. I had to re-light once in the final third.

Final third score: 4/5

Overall: 4/5

Final Verdict: While I enjoyed the N.A.S., I enjoyed the Cheroot/"Icepick" a lot more. That cinnamon lingered and was AWESOME mixed with the slight pepper taste!!!

Nod goes to the Cheroot/"Icepick"....but both were very enjoyable. As I said, I will be looking for a box of the Cheroot/"Icepick". (I already have a box of the N.A.S.).