Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #41
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's see those '10 gardens

Got several pictures to share. Sorry for being long-winded. I love gardening and can chat about it for days. Plus, I'm proud of my little piece of Heaven. For those that remember my 16'x15' from last year, it's still here, except I replaced the 18" rabbit fence with a 36" wire and wooden fence. My beagle, Fritz, is of no use in the garden, so he is barred. He is a great squirrel deterrent, though. I planted 4/10. I've had to replant the orka, as it was cool for the first few weeks and it was old seed. They are still only a couple of inches high. Hot weather will kick them. Also, the past couple of years I gone the no-till route as Shilala does. I used to till a couple of times a year, but now just put lawnmower bagger waste around and work it in with a garden rake. A square foot, six inches deep can supply a double handful of giant earthworms. It's so cool how awesome this plot of earth is.

6 tomatoes (4 Celebrity, 1 Silvery Fir Tree, and 1 Micro Tom)
4 hills squash
6 peppers (3 jalapeno, 1 Cuban, and 2 bell)
6 small rows of bush beans
2 small rows fo Clemson spineless okra
dozens of Marketmore 75 cukes on the trellis
Several varieties of sunflowers around the edge

To me, a garden is not complete without feathered friends. I took a shot of my homemade birdfeeder. The wire around the main feeder keeps the ocassional squirrel, bluejay, and crackle at bay. It's got:

Black oil sunflower
Safflower
Peanuts (shelled and whole)
Oriole feedr with nectar and jelly
Two kins of suet
Two socks of Niger thistle

Here's the visitors since last summer (at least the ones I've seen):

Robin
Mourning dove
Cardinal
Carolina wren
Titmouse
Black-capped chickadee
Carolina chickadee
Red-bellied woodpecker
Grey catbird
Painted bunting
Red finch
House finch
Goldfinch
Baltimore oriole
Brown thrasher
Yellow rumped warbler
Mockingbird
Grackle
Bluejay
Starling
Red headed woodpecker
Eastern bluebird

Three plum and giant peach tree behind the fence. The peach tree loaded us up last year.

6'x2' herb garden. More mint than anything. There's chives, leeks, rosemary, and at least 5 kinds of mint. Tech-ninja turned me on to Mojitos a while back and I enjoy them all the time now thanks to my over-abundant supply.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #42
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #43
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

The birds don't eat up your tomatoes??

They used to tear into mine as soon as they got ripe and i had to use bird netting to keep them out......... bad thing was, is i don't eat tomatoes~
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #44
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Still haven't set cages for my tomato plants. A few of them are taking off like rockets, so I better get on that sometime in the next week.

On the flip side in the past week I've done some major trimming of the non-fruit bearing trees, ripped out two useless gaddam crepe myrtles, added a second pomegranate tree (wonderful varietal), a meyer lemon and probably going to put in a blackjack fig in the next few days.

Was going to put some blackberry bushes, but the nursery advised me to wait until fall.

Oh, and even more dead snails.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #45
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Howdy fellow gardeners! I see everyone is getting started again for a new season. Best time of the year I don't have much of a garden this year with a limited amount of space since I moved. Good news is that the dogs killed their first squirrel at the new house so they are ready to rid the varmints of the strawberry patch.

This year I have a small handful of pepper plants, strawberries, three tomato plants, basil and two rosemary bushes.

Looking forward to seeing everyones progress and Scotts videos!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #46
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'll have to post pics of my raised beds. I have two 4x8 and one 4x4. Did most of my planting last weekend. I only did two tomato plants, as the five I planted last year produced just way too much. i was literally calling people to come pick what they wanted.

What I've planted so far this year:
Red Brandywine
Black Krim
Eggplant
Bell Pepper
Broccoli
Bush Cucumbers
Leaf lettuce
And my garlic I seeded last October is growing like gangbusters. Can't wait to try it. And I have a couple open spots I'm still trying to figure out what to plant. Might do tomatillos again. They made excellent salsa verde and subsequent green chicken chili.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #47
BC-Axeman

Finally starting to get some growth. Very late spring for this area.
This was all scrub and meadow weeds when I moved in. I built all the landscape and my wife mostly maintains it.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #48
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Love the view you have there Lance. Spectacular
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #49
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I pulled out a 18" around deep bowl full of green beens already and going to pull more after dinner when it cools down.
My cucumbers are running everywhere and almost taking over the garden! I plan to extend out the garden next year and make a trellis for them to grow up an away from the other plants.
The Okra is getting big, but I doubt I will have enough to make many meals with them. About 1/3 didn't come up for some reason.
I have gotten three handfuls of sweet banana peppers and two green bell peppers so far.

Next year I am going to focus on two types of cucumbers, green beens, banana and bell peppers... Going to spread out the garden more and build a trellis so we can walk in it better and not be so crowded.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #50
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Man, I'll tell you what....the weather up here in Nor Cal has sucked for the veggies so far. Dont get me wrong, I love the rain. Keep it coming, fill our lakes. But we have not had a day over 70* here in two weeks. Its been cloudy or foggy for a month. My plants are screamin for sun. I like all the rain but my veggies want to grow.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #51
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

My first bell

Blueberries are getting plump

Mmmmmm I enjoy eating fresh basil on bruschetta.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #52
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Gotten quite a few strawberries out of the patch. Lost quite a few as well to bugs. Fired some 7 dust on them this morning so hopefully that will run the things off.

This rose bush is taking over our front garden. We have two rocking chairs on the front porch but you can't hardly see the road anymore from up there.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #53
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Very nice pics Halbert. I love the Easter Lilly. Mine came back HUGE this year. My Sweet peas, China Peas and Strawberries are the only thing producing so far. Everything else is still small.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #54
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Very nice pics Halbert. I love the Easter Lilly. Mine came back HUGE this year. My Sweet peas, China Peas and Strawberries are the only thing producing so far. Everything else is still small.
You will be good once the sun shines and the rain quits.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #55
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Ya, I hear ya. Its been raining here all day again. I'll take it, but its gonna be a late growing season.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #56
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna drag the plants from the front porch to the back yard today. It's time for them to get a little more sun. Wish them luck!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #57
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm gonna drag the plants from the front porch to the back yard today. It's time for them to get a little more sun. Wish them luck!!!
Where's the pictures tobacco boy?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #58
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Where's the pictures tobacco boy?
If I ever get caught up, Haliboing. They look real pretty in the pots right now. I'll take some crappy pics, at least, before I plant them this weekend.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #59
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

It's planting weekend. Lisa and I will probably get most of the plants in tonight if the rain holds off. I have to drag my ass out there and get some stuff ready.
I ran to Lowe's to get a few tomato plants and green peppers so I don't have to use the scrawny ones I made (didn't transplant them, wasn't up to it). All Lowe's had was great big expensive stuff.
Once the kid is outta here to ball practice, I'll go get some good plants at my buddy's place.
Then it's game on, ladies.
I'll get ya them backy pics too, Halitosis.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #60
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

After all those seeds I sent you, Scott, you're off at Lowe's trying to buy plants. I know you haven't been in the gardening frame lately though. Next year, hopefully...

What a difference 3 weeks makes to my garden. Also, spent the past few days in my dad's garden. I bet we dug and stored a ton of red and white potatoes. He could feed half the state. Never seen so many potatoes in one spot, ever.

My tomatoes have fruit. My cukes are climging and flowering. The green beans are flowering. The squash are psycho plants, full of fruit and flowers. The orka is small, but coming along. Peppers are growing well and I also have a 2" long jalapeno to boot. Those sunflowers and (volunteer) cosmos are also growing well.