Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
dentonparrots

Default El Centurion by Don Pepin

El Centurion cigar, 5” 50 gauge.

This was given to me as part of a trade, and from looking at it’s appearance I was pleasantly surprised. It had reasonably large jagged veins compared to other cigars but apart from that it looked magnificent, a lovely dark-ish brown wrapper and a nice scent to match. I read that it is a Don Pepin production and is mainly a Cuban seed cigar.
Immediately it smelled like a Cuban, with a nice dark chocolate, warm coffee heavy scent almost welcoming me to commit arson.
It initially struck me as being pretty heavy without being too dense (plugged) and although it seemed to have been box pressed it still had a good amount of give in it and was quite springy. A nice fancy band adorned it making the image complete.

After punching it once it gave a perfect pre-draw, just perfect! A chocolate taste was left on my lips and the only CC cigar I’ve really had that happen with to this extent is RyJ PC’s. Man I was looking forward to the next bit…

After toasting it to and giving it a nice solid light, I was left with a spicy full bodied taste, but after the first inch or so the spices subsided and left a mainly cedar taste, but it was good and my gut feeling was that I had a really good “midway” cigar heading my direction. I started with a slightly uneven burn and regardless of touch-ups this continued throughout the entire cigar but it was consistent and I didn’t let that put me off.

I received a little fruity and sweet taste in the first inch or so, but this didn’t last long and the spicy, mild, amazing draw remained. Mellow, smooth, almost cooling on the mouth came to mind.
It burned reasonable fast for its size, and after getting into the 2nd inch or so I started getting what I was looking for, a more rich, chocolate-coffee taste. There was a slight earthy/ mushroom taste there but the sweeter tastes beat them down. The smoke was a lovely orange colour which I perceive to be from the better tasting cigars for some reason.

The tastes continued most of the way down but gave way to a slightly walnut taste mid-way and then the creamier, richer tastes started coming along too, this was turning into a fine cigar by any (CC) standards.

After getting into the bottom 1/3rd there was no “overspice” taste that NC’s generally leave me with and I’ve got to say that so far this has been my best NC to date…the good times just kept on coming, and kept getting better!

The final pic says it all, a real finger burner.

I’d recommend this cigar to anyone who likes anything above mild, even strong taste loving smokers will appreciate the creamy daytime-smoke that this has to offer. Enjoyed to the max!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: El Centurion by Don Pepin

The bands are awesome. I'd smoke one just to look at the band.
I think I have one or two of these nuggets. Gonna have to get after it.
Thanks for the review!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Waynegro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The bands are awesome. I'd smoke one just to look at the band.
I think I have one or two of these nuggets. Gonna have to get after it.
Thanks for the review!!!
After looking at your Humi pictures I wouldn't be surprised if you have one or two of every nugget rolled

Great review by the way. I have one in my humi and it's been resting for about 9 months. About time to give it a shot.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegro1 View Post
...I wouldn't be surprised if you have one or two of every nugget rolled
Every time I think I'm getting close I find out about something else.
It's brutal.
I refuse to take up any more room for cigars, that's why I share so many. Plus I like giving away cigars more than I like to smoke them. If I ever ran out I'd be missing out on a lot of fun.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

This is in my top 3 sticks, I absolutley love them and am salivating over your review. Nice work!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
This is in my top 3 sticks, I absolutley love them and am salivating over your review. Nice work!!!

These are one of my favorite cigars. Absolutely the best Pepin blend IMO. I saw a review on some blog recently of these and Pepin was quoted in it saying he feels these taste like an aged Cohiba (CC). Can't say I've ever had one, but if they taste like an El C then they must be good.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

Very nice review! Ive had about 4 of these and think they are amazing. Have about 9 more in the humi and will probably break one out for Christmas. These are def one of my favs.
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

this is absolutely one of my favorite cigars

it's smooth, spicy creamy for most of it, but in the middle third, there's this rush of vanilla cream that is awesome

I love these, I need to get some more before they're all gone
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Got an assortment left, recently smoked a robusto and churchill. These guys got better from last year. The rest will have to wait awhile.

Great review
Jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I just had one of these and I found your review to be spot on. It is a very good cigar
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbailey View Post
These guys got better from last year.
I hope so, Dave. These are not one of Pepins best, imo. Little return for the money you have to shell out for them. Havn't had one in a while. I am always dissapointed when I revisit the box.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Yazzie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mark
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Yazzie will become famous soon enough

Absolutely love these. Picked up 4 boxes in 07 and am smoking through these quickly
Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote