Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
pipermacbean
Nutty as a fruitcake

Trading: (1)
Army (Served With Honor)
pipermacbean is on a distinguished road
Default Calling all coaches...

I figure there has to be some fellow coaches out there... a little networking, sharing tips, drills, resources might help us all out. I coach youth lacrosse and girls softball... coached LL until my son discovered lax. Anyone else out there?
pipermacbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
theycallmedan'lboone

Default Re: Calling all coaches...

age group?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

i used to coach soccer until i got back into playing. i will probably take it back up when i have kids and they are old enough to start playing as most of the coaches out there (in soccer) don't know what the heck they are talking about.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
PitmanGeek

Been coaching LL for 7+ years now with one more son and a daughter to go through the ranks. Just got my F license for soccer this year and started with my younger son's team.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

HS varsity lacrosse coach
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

First Name: Rob
gorob23 has disabled reputation

I don't know anything about any sports....

Poker klnows swimming really well he trains in hawaii

Rob
gorob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Tombstone

i coach 3rd and 4th grade boys basketball
Old 11-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I've done some little league baseball, basketball, and tiny tot soccer. I don't any coaching currently because I have no patience for "helpful" parents and my son and I fight like crazy when I coach him.

MCS
MajorCaptSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
theycallmedan'lboone

I coach varsity HS soccer
some u-19 AYSO rec league stuff.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
pipermacbean
Nutty as a fruitcake

Trading: (1)
Army (Served With Honor)
pipermacbean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
HS varsity lacrosse coach
Cool... I am an asst. coach for my son's 7th grade rec team . I work primarily with the defense... I didn't play lax but I did play soccer and hockey so I use that to try to teach them about positioning. We are in central NJ so teams can be pretty competitive. As a varsity coach what are the points/skills you would like to see stressed for younger players?
pipermacbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermacbean View Post
Cool... I am an asst. coach for my son's 7th grade rec team . I work primarily with the defense... I didn't play lax but I did play soccer and hockey so I use that to try to teach them about positioning. We are in central NJ so teams can be pretty competitive. As a varsity coach what are the points/skills you would like to see stressed for younger players?
I am also primarily a defensive coach. For my long poles and defensive middies, I look for the ability to play within the defensive unit. That is my numero uno!

What I mean by that is that the player who can strip, throw great checks, etc is not necessarily going to be my biggest asset. Rather, a player who understands when to slide, and how to force his man into an oncoming slide (and have the faith that it will be there) is key. A player who can communicate what the defense is doing, and can dictate where his man can go.

These are important things to me. Stick skills, great checks, and hard hits (though not always hitting) have been a lot easier to teach (in my opinion).

Rather than hockey or soccer, I think a lot can be drawn from basketball...the concept of the trap, help, recover, etc.

On offense, I like to see a kid move on and off ball. Sure, a 90mph shot, 4.4 40 speed, etc are nice, but a fat kid with a weak shot can score some goals if he can move effectively off ball.

For example, if you are running the 2-3-1 on offense, and the defense is in a typical crease slide/opposite second slide package, look to move the offensive player opposite the ball in such a way that he FORCES his man to leave him open (IN SCORING POSITION!) or to bail on the second slide (man on crease is wide open).

I've seen a lot of players who could defy physics with their sticks, but could never play the game because they couldn't/wouldn't grasp proper off ball movement.

As for on ball movement, drawing the slide and dumping to the open man (he has to make himself open...hence good off ball movement) is key. Naturally, in order to do this the player must be able to move with the ball and see the field.

The ability to dodge and create space on a 1 on 1 situation seem to be pretty well covered by youth coaches.

You MAY have noticed, but I could talk about this for hours....so feel free to fire away with questions/comments/general lax BSing.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote